Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slovak Republic restricting non-official languages

• 27-07-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I've just received an e-mail alerting my attention to a petition objecting to the decision of the government of the Slovak Republic to introduce new regulations restricting the use not only of other languages but also variants of the Slovak language.

The restrictions will be imposed by imposing fines of EUR 100 to 5000 on individuals and businesses, running to EUR 165,000 in case of media organisations.

Full information at: http://peticio.nytud.hu/

How can an EU country be allowed introduce these regulations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I guess they want to protect their language and culture, which is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

smeedyova wrote: »

To the detriment of other langaugue and cultures.

The Brits tried this in Ireland back in day. I suppose you support that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

it obviously worked on you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

smeedyova wrote: »

They are restricting usage of variants of the their own language. How can that be a good idea? How about banning religion, or traditional music?!!

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    it obviously worked on you

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Euro_Kraut wrote: »

But Britain was "protecting it's culture" in a forgein (spelling) country that was illegaly under it's control and the Slovak Republic isn't illegaly in a foreign country doing what Britain did.

Edit: I don't agree what they're doin btw jus wanted to make that point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Let's all go on a daytrip over there and speak as Gaeilge, buy a couple of shops and flats and turn it into a gaeltacht. Not only will we be takin der jawbs, but also takin der lanwich!

dlofnep wrote: »
    but also takin der lanwich!

and de tuck ur Sanwiches!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Euroland

I've just received an e-mail alerting my attention to a petition objecting to the decision of the government of the Slovak Republic to introduce new regulations restricting the use not only of other languages but also variants of the Slovak language.

The restrictions will be imposed by imposing fines of EUR 100 to 5000 on individuals and businesses, running to EUR 165,000 in case of media organisations.

Full information at: http://peticio.nytud.hu/

How can an EU country be allowed introduce these regulations?

The situation with Russian language in Baltic States and Ukraine is even much worse, where ultra-nationalist governments barred tens of millions of Russian-spoken people from giving education to their children in their native (Russian) language and the language is now forbidden on TV, in courts, schools, creches, universities and any governmental organisations. The governments of those states now apply the policy of ethnocide aka forceful ukrainisation, lithuanisation, estonisation and latviasation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement