Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question regarding the making of beats.

Options
  • 25-07-2009 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Right, i've recently start making some Hip Hop beats. It's early days yet but i am wondering is there a good place to find people who may be interesting in laying down lyrics over the beats? I am not a rapper, never will. I do enjoy making beats though, and while it's early days i reckon i have some decent enough **** in me.

So, is there some kind of dedicated Irish site or is it basically here?

Example of beats below.

http://soundcloud.com/shatterfreak/the-big-backdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Dunno much about this area but a couple of friends of mine are well into it.

Heres the bebo page where they put up their music

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4051716204

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Nice work. It's a really "dark" tune, like it could be the anthem of an anarchist movement or something. It screams rebellion. I dunno, I'm drunk. Anyway keep it up. You have potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Check out www.irishhiphop.com/forum

Lots of good producers on there like SertOne, Sleepybb and DBeats to offer some pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Napoli wrote: »
    Nice work. It's a really "dark" tune, like it could be the anthem of an anarchist movement or something. It screams rebellion. I dunno, I'm drunk. Anyway keep it up. You have potential.

Cheers mate, i'll take the compliments of a drunk person very happily.

All my music has a dark tone, which i plan on carrying over into hip hop.

Was listening to this track at the Kings of Concrete thing yesterday. Nice ominous vibes. I ended up rapping over SetOnes beat though.

Thing I wouldn't be mad about on that one is the drums and hats sound a bit cheap and tinny. Synth sounds and everything else sound class though. Your style reminds me of Sleepybb a bit.

• Advertisement

Was listening to this track at the Kings of Concrete thing yesterday. Nice ominous vibes. I ended up rapping over SetOnes beat though.

Thing I wouldn't be mad about on that one is the drums and hats sound a bit cheap and tinny. Synth sounds and everything else sound class though. Your style reminds me of Sleepybb a bit.

In allk fairness, SetOnes beat was class. Thanks for the feedback as well, i'll experiment with abusing the percs a bit and finding a deeper sound with them.

I'll do a rework and pop it up.

Cheers mate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pretty good for someone who's just starting out, like Blitz said, need to work on them drums, they sound like drums that are pre-programmed into production s/w...whereas you should be looking with a little uuuummmpphhh to them.

Other than that sounding good, reminds me a bit of a producer called DJ Signinfy

You're going to laugh at this Dragan. Some old lad walked by and spat over your beat (2 mins in). I think your drums must be a bit off because he seems to be losing the timing here and there.

I'm in it towards the end around 8mins in after the hyperactive fella.

Ha, that old lad scored me fourth place instead of no place. Gotta love that man, i'm in touch with the older generation.

I sound like such a granny ****er right now.

Anyways, i see what happened, it's just the intro to the song that people heard...it's got a pretty weird drum beat not really designed to take lyrics over it, when the intro sample stops the drums switch up and become a lot more MC friendly.

Me thinks next time i'll write the full thing, but just send Kounter Kulture in the first verse section.

Sweet.

Advertisement