Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hey Maturies/Non-Trads, how's it going?

• 16-07-2009 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone else a little freaked about returning to study as a mature student this Autumn? I'm starting to get the 'ball-shivers' thinking about it!! - I hope I don't live to regret this one as I walked out of my job to do this (one which I disliked but nonetheless - still a job...)

Anyways, best of luck to those who've took the leap - oh & take a modicum of solace knowing that you're not the only one poo'in pellets over it :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Right, think it's about time to put up a stickied thread for us maturies/non-trads to discuss the fear and excitement bout returning to education and how we're all getting on!!!

Me, well I'm dead excited about starting the course. Just hope I won't get too irritated by the youngsters! I will be a full on nerd come September!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone else a little freaked about returning to study as a mature student this Autumn? I'm starting to get the 'ball-shivers' thinking about it!! - I hope I don't live to regret this one as I walked out of my job to do this (one which I disliked but nonetheless - still a job...)

Anyways, best of luck to those who've took the leap - oh & take a modicum of solace knowing that you're not the only one poo'in pellets over it :D

You'll be grand. I went back after 10 years and the 1st week all I could think was "what am I doing here?"! But settled in, made a few friends, and 3 years later I have just got a distinction!
    I'm going to continue with 2 more years to get a higher degree, can't believe how nervous I was about going back to college!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Your going to have a great time OP. I went back last September and had a brilliant time. And the great thing is that I have 3 more years to do. :)

Hope you enjoy your time back in college/uni.

Just got a letter about a mature student information morning. I keep thinking "Hey I'm not mature!!" :D

Congrats Kellsred!! That's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

I am BRICKING it, starting hairdressing course in September in Crumlin after nearly 19 years in law/IT. Can't believe I'm going back and to do hairdressing too (summit I wanted to do when I was "young" LOL but wasn't allowed). Am excited but at the same time thinking "Am I out of my tiny mind":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

JayC5 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm so nervous now that I won't like my course!! :rolleyes: After all my hard work getting in I don't want to get there and go what was I thinking!!! I know deep down I won't Im both nervous and excited :D

ontour wrote: »
    I'm so nervous now that I won't like my course!! :rolleyes: After all my hard work getting in I don't want to get there and go what was I thinking!!! I know deep down I won't Im both nervous and excited :D

Yeah, I've had that feeling as well and I know that it is just nerves. I've wanted to do the course since I was about 17 but didn't think I'd be any good at it. It is very exciting! :)

I saw a thread in P.I. about a mature student not fitting in and I'm sorry I read it. I was a bit :eek: I'm definitely going to try and attend as many mature student meetings etc. and join a few societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭silasrat

hi all, im really lookin forward to going back and meetin people but im kinda worried that being 8 or so years out of school i wont be able to elarn things quick enough! gonna have to try real hard is all............

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As somebody who has lectured both "young" (and I use the term loosely) and mature students, I can tell you one thing - you guys have one hell of an advantage over school leavers.

I always find mature students more willing to learn, more diligent, more enthusiastic and more inquisitive. Consequently, mature students, in my opinion, tended to do better than the average school leaver. You have years of life experience behind you, you have a good idea what you want to do, so you will put more into it.

So what if you haven't studied in years, you will learn. :)

The advantage you have over school leavers is that you know what you want to do. You are not just doing a course because your parents made you, or because you don't know what else to do, you are doing it out of interest. And that makes a big, big difference.

thanks tom, thats a really positive way to approach the old study's.... my brother went back as a mature student,he graduated this year, and he had the same as you to say about it,mature student drop out rates are almost non-existent and they (mostly) tend to be very motivated,just hope i can slip back into the groove of education nice and easy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 birdalone

Mostly it seems that you guys worry about fitting in and getting to know people.
    My worry is that I will find it difficult not to get sucked into what may well seem like noisy chaos.
    I am wondering if it is possible to happily wander about in my own little world on campus. (must invest some personal music system)
    Can I successfully complete a degree as a semi recluse?
    What words do I need on my tee shirt ?
    So as not to cause offence like ?

silasrat wrote: »
    hi all, im really lookin forward to going back and meetin people but im kinda worried that being 8 or so years out of school i wont be able to elarn things quick enough! gonna have to try real hard is all............

I did an access course last year and study skills was one of the modules. At the start I was a bit "Oh great, :rolleyes: this will be interesting". It takes a while to understand how learning journals etc. work but when you do put them into practice they really do work. So I suggest to everyone (new & current students) to go to any study skills classes that are available. There's also lots of info on the net and Stella Cottrell has some good books on the subject.

Birdalone, it's up to you how you want to live out your time in college. Having the support of other classmates is a huge benefit, believe me!

birdalone, do you not think you would benefit more by gettin to know the people around you as much as possible? if your more involved and close with the people on your course you might find it easier to learn and get over the more difficult parts of the course if you can talk with others who are in the same boat as you........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭CZ 453

birdalone wrote: »
    Mostly it seems that you guys worry about fitting in and getting to know people.
    My worry is that I will find it difficult not to get sucked into what may well seem like noisy chaos.
    I am wondering if it is possible to happily wander about in my own little world on campus. (must invest some personal music system)
    Can I successfully complete a degree as a semi recluse?
    What words do I need on my tee shirt ?
    So as not to cause offence like ?

Would'nt your course involve interacting with people as much as possible as you have to study them!

shezer wrote: »
    Would'nt your course involve interacting with people as much as possible as you have to study them!
    but then I wouldnt be able to see the wood for the trees . . .objectivity is crucial

Philosophical answer.Text books cant show expressions of the mind.You have to see them for yourself.Interacting with other people can help.

hmm. well it's like this . . .
    it is entirely possible to observe people interacting on campus without actually being personally involved in the interaction.
    In fact I would argue that a more accurate observation is possible if there is observation without involvement.
    Of course there is more to life and to a subject of learning than can be gleaned from textbooks.
    I have been in this world and around people for a good number of years now, and I must have learned quite a bit. The most important things I have learned of late have been about my own nature and my needs.
    I have also realised that it is important to have the courage to be myself, even when that means I come across as unusual to some people, and they can react negatively, mainly I think through a lack of understanding.

Shezer, are you familiar with the Autism Spectrum Condition , Asperger's syndrome?
    If so then you may understand a little more about my concerns regarding the chaotic element of campus and my limited need for friendship.
    I do hope that I will discover an intellectual companion or two, it's just I don't do the 'social thing' in the way most people do.
    And I like my own company, solitude , best of all.
    I really want to study, I do it all the time anyway, it's that I may find the environment challenging.

i wasnt having a go.Just saying it can help.eg classes moving to different building and your not there,meeting times,things you may miss through illness....i wish you well in your education.

So I will likely need the services of Disability Support to make up for the practical and emotional support I will be missing, that most people get from their circle of friends.
    Another reason then why Aspergers syndrome is a learning disability . . .one which does need to be appropriately and sensitively addressed.

It helps when the people around me understand a little of an autistic reality.Hopefully the Psychology Dept will be a likely place to find such people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

This may help people understand

• Advertisement

Thankyou kindly Shezer.x ;)

birdalone wrote: »
    So I will likely need the services of Disability Support to make up for the practical and emotional support I will be missing, that most people get from their circle of friends.
    Another reason then why Aspergers syndrome is a learning disability . . .one which does need to be appropriately and sensitively addressed.

It helps when the people around me understand a little of an autistic reality.Hopefully the Psychology Dept will be a likely place to find such people.

Hi there Birdalone,

I've read a bit about Aspergers Syndrome, not much, but a little. Fair play to you for taking the leap - firstly for going back to college and secondly, with having a learning disability. Best of luck! :)

I went to a mature student info day today. My head is melted from all the info on grants etc. :eek: Exciting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ckkelly

hey there
    i've got into my chosen course in dcu - yeay. I'm a bit like birdalone in that i imagined alot of wandering about by myself. I don't mind that! t shirt words? F%%% OFF You F%$#@& F&^%$ should keep most people away B!

anyway - just wondering if any mature students are working and going to college full time? i just found out i'm ineligible for any and all grants which was kinda holding my plan together. I didn't want to have to focus too much on a job when I'll be on my best in college!

i guess if defer, sign on or make less than a certain amount over the next 12 months I can start next september with the aid of some grants...

it's just that I'm having a hard time making up my mind. I feel that I should wait and grab any financial assistance that I can... but on the other hand I feel like I should go for it now despite the fact I'll have to get loans and be a bit of a drain on my dad... not feeling very 'mature' about the whole thing today.

any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,949 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi ckkelly

How come you in ineligable for getting a maintenance grant? :(

As a mature student you apply on our own, even though you have to give your parents income details you are still classified as independent.

ckkelly, have you heard of the student assistance fund?
    My gut feeling is that you should go for it with the course this year.
    If you are feeling strongly motivated I am sure you will find a way to get by.
    Yes, next year you can apply for grants, if not for this year.
    I suppose you had a look at Student Finance.ie?
    Maybe you could find some work on campus, so that you would not have to travel?
    Finances are challenging for me too, but then they always have been.
    Have you discussed the situation with your Dad yet?
    Maybe work out roughly how much you would need to get by,and options of finding it . . you know , an exercise in logistics . . that's what I have been doing, it helps me get everything into perspective.

I would only suggest getting a job if you can handle study and work.Sometimes working can be more of a hindrance than its worth when your studying.I work friday and saturday nights.I think thats more than enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cherrypipp

...but it's been a looooong time since I was in university! :-)

I know that most students seem to head off to college now with their own laptops whereas, we used the computer labs. My question is, do they bring them to lectures with them, or do people still take notes the "old fashioned" way?

Thanks...am bricking it a little too but also very excited.

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi ckkelly

How come you in ineligable for getting a maintenance grant? :(

As a mature student you apply on our own, even though you have to give your parents income details you are still classified as independent.

hey denman - i'm ineligible as i've been out of state - i haven't lived at home for the past 7 years. in order to get grants or assistance of any kind you've got to be in ireland (or eu) for at least a year prior to applying for the grant. you get it based on your first year of uni - put another way - i don't get anything in year 2 and 3 because i'm ineligible this year - sucks dunnit?

hey birdalone

you know i do FEEL the same, in terms of jumping in and 'just doing it'... it's just that i've half a lifetime of bad decision making under my belt, so was trying to be 'smart' about it and avoid a bigger bill than it needs to be.
    it was explained to me (by the good folks at the student assistance fund hq)that i will be ineligible for financial assistance based on my starting college this year. as i'm ineligible this year - i won't be entitled to it next year or the year after either... i believe school will be more intense from 2nd year onwards, so wondered if the grants were worth waiting for.
    there is a part of me that's like "go oan! throw the ball haaard! I'll work and scrape by just fine" that maybe i should just go with...
    yep, talked about it with my long-suffering father (!) and while he's agreeable to helping me out - good GOD but i'm old too be putting him under such financial pressure. he's retired and as far as i know still paying for the sisters wedding last year!
    I would love to just start, like I always do, and worry about the money later... just can't stop thinking that everytime i've done that before i run out of steam....

• Advertisement

tools... feck - can you imagine what they'll call the old people? anyway, I've been working in offices and what have you, so i'm faster at typing, plus my handwriting is shot to hell, i can't even remember the last time i wrote out a page of notes...i think i'll bring my laptop... or that dictaphone i stole from the last job i got fired from...

Advertisement