Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this work on the Boards Darts Forum?

Options
  • 07-07-2009 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Just looking at a different darts forum over the last few days and they are going to sponsor a player for the second time, first one being Tony Eccles. I was just wondering could we do the same on Boards, basically they have 40+ available shares at £25 a go! I know it's hard times at the moment and all but just thought I'd see what the interest would be. I'm thinking of doing this on that other forum by the way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

great idea mate, i'd be up for doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

I take it we're talking about sponsoring an Irish player, and would this be to play in the PDC tour or the BDO tour, bearing in mind that on the PDC it's £500 to join, and £100 to enter a competition. To play a season costs in the region of £20,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

I take it we're talking about sponsoring an Irish player, and would this be to play in the PDC tour or the BDO tour, bearing in mind that on the PDC it's £500 to join, and £100 to enter a competition. To play a season costs in the region of £20,000.

Maybe partly sponsor a player, I think they made £4,000 to sponsor Eccles and that will get him through the full season. Yeah to sponsor an Irish player would be better be it in the BDO or PDC, just an idea.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Maybe partly sponsor a player, I think they made £4,000 to sponsor Eccles and that will get him through the full season. Yeah to sponsor an Irish player would be better be it in the BDO or PDC, just an idea.:)

I know the prize money in the BDO is not as good as the PDC, but there are a lot of quality players in the BDO, so in my opinion it would be better to sponsor a player to play the BDO tour, maybe be better to walk before trying to run. I think thats the saying :confused:

I know the prize money in the BDO is not as good as the PDC, but there are a lot of quality players in the BDO, so in my opinion it would be better to sponsor a player to play the BDO tour, maybe be better to walk before trying to run. I think thats the saying :confused:

Well I don't mind, it would be great if we got a load of people interested first in this idea, then we could choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

ok,ok,ok lads you can stop with the PM's, i'll do it you's can sponsor me:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Double Top wrote: »
    ok,ok,ok lads you can stop with the PM's, i'll do it you's can sponsor me:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

LOL!!!:D:D You never know D.T you just never know!;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

the thing with sponsorship and tourning is that even 40 sponsoring at 25 each wud mean only a grand. To be honest at some tournaments between food accom and flights u wud need a couple of hundred per tournament.

And if u have to work all the time too to stay afloat u wont practice so much and will end up losing to quality county players.

I mean u cud in theory sponsor shane o connor, jacko barry mick mcgowan darryl gurney. Any of them and it might be a help to them to keep going

On that other forum the most you can purchase is 12 shares at £25 each, hopefully there is some wealthy darts fans out there who do be on Boards!;) It would be great for Boards as it would be great advertisement. I'm probably being a bit optimistic!;)

why would you buy 12 what extra do you get out of it ????

• Advertisement

why would you buy 12 what extra do you get out of it ????

I simply don't know! Maybe just to gloat and to be a showoff!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

heres the original thread that bought this up at the time.Have to say I agree with the views of dartoid and kingp.
    However if it was a brand new player to the pro scene who we were sponsoring maybe for the Irish circuit I could be interested. Eccles didnt exactly set the world on fire nor will he.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055493536&highlight=sponsor

heres the original thread that bought this up at the time.Have to say I agree with the views of dartoid and kingp.
    However if it was a brand new player to the pro scene who we were sponsoring maybe for the Irish circuit I could be interested. Eccles didnt exactly set the world on fire nor will he.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055493536&highlight=sponsor

I don't remember that thread, I was thinking about the Irish circuit just there and I agree with you mate, that would probably a better target! There are a few players on here we could choose from, I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Tbh and this is just my $0.02, there are no active Irish players with the ability to do anything major on either the pdc or bdo tours. Our countires top players have an average which is borderline 80 and while it does rise more often than not thats where it sits. Jacko, Shane and mick are 15-21 dart players as is Gurney.

the irish circuit isn't great the indo ahve about 12 events a year max and some of them (Mohill for example only got 28 players). For the sake of £20 a competition its hardly worth the finanes, plus if they don't play county they're penalised up to 6 points cause they can't play inter county singles.

the players championship is only six rounds of €30 so hardly worth sponsoring either despite the fact its a good event.

Sorry I forgot the indo are a bit of joke, where is Mohill by the way?Surprised they got 28, must have been local players. They should stage most of these tournaments in the major cities not crazy places like Mohill (no disrespect) in the middle of nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

The one thing which hasnt been asked WHAT DO THE SPONSORS GET OUT OF IT?

Well the idea is that the player wears the sponsorship on his shirt so boards.ie would be on the shirt or something i believe

However i think a sponsorship package for a player on here could require less money, thus a lesser input from everyone

Like for example, The Matchplay (Tom Kirby) August 23rd is €30 entry, the 6 players championships are €30 entry each and if your in the top 32 of the rankings you get invited to kilkenny august bank holiday weekend which in previous years was broadcast on TG4

September or October see's the John Mcavoy which contains PDC players is €100 entry or €30 into the friday to try win a tournament to qualify for the €100 event without paying €100.

A Sponsor pack could include entry fee to all 6 players championships, the tom kirby and the john mcevoy

Now if we were guarunteeing a member on here to do that it would require only about 350 - 400 euro

at 40 people thats only 10 each

paulcorr wrote: »
    The one thing which hasnt been asked WHAT DO THE SPONSORS GET OUT OF IT?

I don't know Paul, it was just an idea I had in my head at the time of posting this thread! Maybe the sponsors should get a small percent of the players winnings for their very small stake;)

Well the idea is that the player wears the sponsorship on his shirt so boards.ie would be on the shirt or something i believe

However i think a sponsorship package for a player on here could require less money, thus a lesser input from everyone

Like for example, The Matchplay (Tom Kirby) August 23rd is €30 entry, the 6 players championships are €30 entry each and if your in the top 32 of the rankings you get invited to kilkenny august bank holiday weekend which in previous years was broadcast on TG4

September or October see's the John Mcavoy which contains PDC players is €100 entry or €30 into the friday to try win a tournament to qualify for the €100 event without paying €100.

A Sponsor pack could include entry fee to all 6 players championships, the tom kirby and the john mcevoy

Now if we were guarunteeing a member on here to do that it would require only about 350 - 400 euro

It is a good idea but it needs to be where its going to get maximum exposure. So where or who would be the ideal candidate.Tom kirby im sure has plenty of sponsors. Who would you suggest? that came out wrong it sounded like Tom kirby had plenty of sponsers. i ment the comp would have players wit plenty of sponsors.

Sounds very interesting, brilliant idea mate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

10 bucks is pretty much nothin to show your support for anything.. i'd pay it no questions asked, and for 10 bucks in fairness you can hardly ask for much in return.. Its not like Ford or Coca-Cola paying $$$$$ for sponsorship is it

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.T.D Ste

Alrights lads at the moment the way my job is (very good) i'm going to start playing in a lot of bdo events to get a feel of it then by six months i'm going the whole hog i'm not looking for sponsor but just to let you know i am doing it

Red Storm wrote: »
    10 bucks is pretty much nothin to show your support for anything.. i'd pay it no questions asked, and for 10 bucks in fairness you can hardly ask for much in return.. Its not like Ford or Coca-Cola paying $$$$$ for sponsorship is it

I didnt mean financal reward but im sure people will want to know what there getting for there money.

Well that lays the question, what would you want for your money ?????

Also the idea i threw out isnt to sponsor the player nor the event, just to fund entrance for one player who might not enter tournaments due to cost.

Like personally im hoping that i might get colmchilles to sponsor me into the tom mcevoy as 100 euro for an event is a lot.

If 1 player had an entire year of irish events paid into and they just had to travel to them then we've given that 1 person a great chance of making a name for themselves and gaining experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

paulcorr wrote: »
    I didnt mean financal reward but im sure people will want to know what there getting for there money.
    Your getting the satisfaction that your helping one of your own, an irishman, a boards.ie guy/girl, hell maybe theyre a friend and giving them a chance to enter competitions..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads it's admirable what you are trying to do but I have to say that my mind hasn;t changed. t's just not something I would be interested in. yes I know it's only a few quid but again i would prefer to spend that money to enter tournaments myself to gain experience. I am probably selfish but i don;t see the attraction in sponsoring someone to play the irish circuit. The only way I would contribute is for a player who actually has a real chance of making it and qualifying for major TV tournament. If they are this good though they will have no problem getting sponsors in the first place.

It's admirable in it's intent, just not for me.

However if you lads want help with getting the Boards admins on board with this then I am happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

While i'd be interested in taking part i don't think that we should be giving Boards.ie any free advertising by putting them on the Players shirt unless they contributed in someway.... Don't know if that sounds petty but i'm not paying money to advertise Boards

/end of 2c

Degag wrote: »
    While i'd be interested in taking part i don't think that we should be giving Boards.ie any free advertising by putting them on the Players shirt unless they contributed in someway.... Don't know if that sounds petty but i'm not paying money to advertise Boards

/end of 2c

the whole idea was to sponsor a player through boards . without boards this idea would not of come to light weather it works or doesnt .boards are contributing they are letting people get on here and discuss the subject:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Make it interesting, no.1 in the boards rankings after 5 events gets the deal.

God help you though if you average 80 on ezchalk and than only 50 in the comps, I'll choke ya with my twenty euro note, no pressure though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

padr81 wrote: »
    Make it interesting, no.1 in the boards rankings after 5 events gets the deal.

God help you though if you average 80 on ezchalk and than only 50 in the comps, I'll choke ya with my twenty euro note, no pressure though.

I think it should be a live tournament, no point someone who can play well on the net and not in real life. Also people who are considering entering remember its not your money. You have to be sure you can commit to every tournament and have extra money in place for travelling/accomodation at events.
    Hopefully there would be enough to contribute to these extras but theres no guarantee how much extra over the entrance fees will be available.

Advertisement