Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female Rap dead?

Options
  • 04-07-2009 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Not that I like getting into controversy but I just feel that female rap is dead. Personally my fav female rap album has to be Da Brat's funkdafied. There's a good few that I highly rate just to name a few:

Foxy Brown Broken Silence
    Lauryn Hill The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
    MC Lyte Lyte as a rock
    Rah Digga Dirty harriet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

While i disagree with the "Hip-Hop is Dead" movement (but admire the brilliance of Nas' marketing strategy) i dot htink that female hip-hop may be dead/dying. The last great female emcee that i know of was Jean Grae, and AFAIK she is retired.

Heck, even the Hip-hop hoes like lil kim and foxy brown are a thing of the past, although i generally dislike any emcee has to act like a slut to get noticed. Its a pity, female emcess's can be even rawer than the males in terms of content and emotion, andbring some much needed diversity to the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Grae didn't retire, she still does shows and is working on an album, she leaked her last album herself and told people not to but it because the label were screwing her over, she does 16 for free for the right people too, you email her a beat and she throws 16 or 24 bars over it and sends it back if she likes it, which is pretty sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

i think Apani B is a good rapper. so theres one female rapper that might be worth looking into.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Jean Grae recently released Evil Jeanius with Blue Sky Black Death, it's a top album.

Apani B is pretty good but doesnt release much

Dessa is one of the nicest MC's out there (Male or Female), i think she is due to release some new stuff this year.

There is a female called Psalm One, she is pretty damn good.

I'm pretty sure that Lauren Hill would still be releasing good music if she wasn't, you know, mental and all that.

But there isnt much else......there was a time when all the labels had 1 or maybe 2 female's on thier books (Def Jam - Foxy, Bad Boy - Kim, SoSoDef - Da Brat, Death Row - Rage, Michelle etc.) but it seems to be a thing of the past now.

Got me thinking, does anyone remeber BOSS??? She had an album called Born Gangsta, it was awesome, must dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Check out Invincible, Thye Pheonix and in particular, Nneka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Lauren Hill would still be releasing good music if she wasn't, you know, mental and all that.

Love that line :D

Think Jean Grae is up there with anyone else around today, male or female. Evil Jeanius was very good and have been listing to Jeanius with 9th Wonder a lot recently which is excellent. Also has some cracking verses on some of Talib Kweli and Immortal Techs albums

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

never died..

www.myspace.com/voicey :cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Jean Grae guests on one of the tracks on Wales latest *free* mix-tape, fantastic.

I don't like a lot of female hip hop, but I've been loving the Fly Girls compilation (http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=14230) lately.

I've huge respect for the early female rappers though, If RUN DMC were right in proclaiming hip hop as "punk music for black people" then female rappers have to be seen in an even higher regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't buy "The Evil Jeanius" she released a statement on her website telling fans to download it and not buy it in stores and ever leaked it herself a week before it was released.

Orizio wrote: »
    Check out Invincible, Thye Pheonix and in particular, Nneka.

Actually, just heard of Nneka - have only heard a live version of VIP and some 30second snippets on iTunes. Is she worth a download? Seems to be a bit more rnb/reggae/soul than hip-hop, but she seems pretty talented.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Don't buy "The Evil Jeanius" she released a statement on her website telling fans to download it and not buy it in stores and ever leaked it herself a week before it was released.

Yea, apparently its some left over verses from her old label who get in a couple of producers to make an album out of it. She had nothing to do with the release - it was around the time of her retirement announcements that it came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

New video of Ophelia on Balcony TV. Skip past the annoying chap at the start.

Sinisista of P77 is pretty class as well but she hasn't recorded that much stuff.

Advertisement