Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Dinosaurs discovered in Australia!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Australovenator ('Australian predator'). Nice name, wonder if it was inspired by Afrovenator.

This bit particularly intrigues me:
    sheds light on the ancestry of the largest-ever meat-eating dinosaurs, the carcharodontosaurs, a group of dinosaurs that became gigantic, like Giganotosaurus
    That would be very interesting to see a smaller, more agile relative of these big gys. I can't wait to see some restorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Nice post. I was always interested in dinosaurs and that growing up (who wasn't?!), but that interest waned as I went to secondary school and had this intentionally tailored curriculum forced on me!
    Originally Posted by Scott Hocknull
    He's Australia's answer to Velociraptor, but many times bigger and more terrifying.
    :eek:

DoireNod wrote: »
    Nice post. I was always interested in dinosaurs and that growing up (who wasn't?!), but that interest waned as I went to secondary school and had this intentionally tailored curriculum forced on me!

I know the feeling. It would be worth your while to get back into it. It's pretty good to have an interest in/knowledge of something outside the norm.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I know the feeling. It would be worth your while to get back into it. It's pretty good to have an interest in/knowledge of something outside the norm.

Yeah, it's like anything really. I just need the motivation to actively follow up on it. Dinosaurs really capture the imagination though. When I was younger, my friend and I used to be extremely fascinated by dinosaurs. I had my mother buy me videos, magazines, toys, you name it, but then the interest just kind of subsided, which is a bit of a shame when I look back.

This site attached an image of what could be Australovenator.

new%2Bdinosaurus.gif

The fossils are set to go on display in 2015.

• Advertisement

A bit more rumaging... a bit more info, including a picture of all three beasties! :D

Top to bottom: Australovenator, Wintonotitan, Diamantinasaurus
    090703070846-large.jpg
    Artwork by Scott A. Hocknull, Matt A. White, Travis R. Tischler, Alex G. Cook, Naomi D. Calleja, Trish Sloan and David A. Elliott.

More info here.

The fossils are set to go on display in 2015.

Excuse my ignorance, but why does it take so long? I presume it has something to do with allowing for further finds and study?

DoireNod wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but why does it take so long? I presume it has something to do with allowing for further finds and study?

As far as I can tell, the museum itself hasn't been built yet.

As far as I can tell, the museum itself hasn't been built yet.
    Thanks, I just read the article. Probably should have done that first...:pac:

The BBC's story has a video and all:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8131915.stm

Not to mention a more digestible image:
    _46010096_007591432.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in reading the proper peer reviewed paper on the discoveries can get it here as it has been made available to teh public for free. :) Aren't scientists nice?

If you'd like to know more about the upcoming Australian dinosaur museum you can check out it's official website here.

Nice close up pic of Australovenator's head (from National Geographic)

090706-02-new-dinosaur-teeth-banjo_big.jpg

They also have a video here where you get a good look at the skeleton.

Nice close up pic of Australovenator's head (from National Geographic)

090706-02-new-dinosaur-teeth-banjo_big.jpg

They also have a video here where you get a good look at the skeleton.
    That's a scary character! You're helping to re-kindle my interest in dinosaurs Galvasean!

Advertisement