Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd place play off at worlds

Options
  • 26-06-2009 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

http://www.pdc.tv/page/WorldChampsDetail/0,,10180~1701998,00.html

A THIRD-FOURTH place play-off will be introduced at the 2010 Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship.

The battle between the losing semi-finalists at Alexandra Palace will be the pre-cursor to the £1 million event's final on Sunday January 3.

Four previous third-fourth place play-offs have previously been held between 1994 and 1998, and the concept will return next January.

The two players will be battling for a £100,000 total in prize money, with the winner picking up £60,000 and the loser £40,000.

"The Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship is already the sport's biggest ever event but the third-fourth place play-off will add even further to the spectacle at Alexandra Palace," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"After 12 days of play across Christmas and New Year, the tournament will now culminate with these two high profile fixtures - the final and the third-fourth place play-off on January 3.

"Our aim is to give fans the best possible value for their money at all PDC tournaments and creating an experience they will never forget, and this certainly does that.

"For the stars involved it will also be a huge occasion, especially so as the game could also be the deciding factor for players battling for a Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts place."

The 2010 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts will feature the top six players in the PDC Order of Merit following the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship, to be joined by two wildcard selections.

I think its a good idea, but feel it may turn out just to be a time filler. Got to wonder how motivated either player could be after just getting knocked out. I know theres 20 grand difference in the prize money, but surely winning the world championship is more important to the top players.

Whats everyone elses thoughts? I know either 3rd place play offs in world cup I certainly cant even be bothered watching as its meaningless....suppose if your at the ally pally its another gam to get boozed up and enjoy though :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Great idea. Gives those who buy tickets added value for money, the semi-finallists still have something extra to play for and it could turn out a great match: if the players go for it, great, if they don't, exhibition style. Everyone's a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Seems like a bit of a time filler to be honest. 3rd/4th placed playoffs don't work in other sports, eg. Football world cup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As I said I have tickets for the final so I am delighted I get to see an extra match! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

yeah but it would work for the 2 players who are playing for a difference of 20 grand for the winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

pppppfffffffffffffff 20 grand :rolleyes:;)

They tried it before and scraped it.....I don't think it will last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

3rd/4th placed playoffs don't work in other sports, eg. Football world up.

Bit of a fallacy to say that the 3rd place playoff doesn't work - the media may crib about it but its nearly always a cracking competitive affair, with only Bulgaria in 1994 not interested.

2006. Germany 3 - Portugal 1. Decent enough game.
    2002. Turkey 3 - Korea 2. Super game, extremely competitive.
    1998. Croatia 2 - Holland 1. Entertaining enough game.
    1994. Sweden 4 - Bulgaria 0. Sadly only team were bothered.
    1990. Italy 2 - England 1. Very enjoyable game.
    1986. France 4 - Belgium 2. Cracking game.
    1982. Poland 3 - France 2. Only vaguest memory of this.
    1978. Brazil 2 - Italy 1. Cannot remember this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

1990. Italy 2 - England 1. Very enjoyable game.

in fairness, England getting beat in any game, any competition, any stage....in any sport would be very enjoyable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I actually like the idea, it will be a nice curtain raiser for the final.

Advertisement