Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drake

Options
  • 25-06-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭

Thoughts? Getting hyped big by Jay-Z, Kanye, Lil Wayne, dating Rihanna and still unsigned. Probably gonna be the biggest major label debut since 50 Cent's Get Rich. Took me a while but I'm starting to come around, he's very marketable (good voice, good looking guy) and has genuine skills on the mic. Here's two of his singles, the first is expected to be #1 on Billboard next week

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

This Drake dude is garbage, sounds like every other billboard rapper out there, lazy flow over lazy beat, singing on the hook (most of the time with vocoder) and similes galore.
    It's just manufactured music, people dont give the likes of Asher Roth the time of day because he's 'manufactured'....at least he's not trying to sound like everyone else in the mainstream to try get a chart hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

People don't give Asher Roth the time of day because he's not worth it. I couldn't get through Asleep In The Bread Aisle in one sitting. I feel the same way about Drake from what I've heard.

edit - also this

41891904.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yea, TBH, i tried to listen to that Best I ever had song a few times, and seriously ain't feeling it. Its definitely one for 14 year old girls, but outside that, i don't see the attraction.

I am disappointed that Jay-z is attaching his name to him - a Jay-Z cosign should mean something special. There is plenty of hotter rappers in the game right now.

I have to saw, he does seem to have his head screwed on - i doubt he is going indy, but he is sweating the majors for a good deal!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Looks like he's been signed
    Drake Signs With Lil Wayne's Young Money Label

June 29th, 2009 | Author: Shake
    Since the release of his third mixtape, So Far Gone, Drake has been heard all over the country. His single, "Best I Ever Had", is being played on every radio station from coast to coast. And with his debut album, Thank Me Later, scheduled to release sometime this year, rumors have been floating around on which major label Drake would sign to.
    Now, after weeks of speculation, Drake has decided to sign with Lil Wayne's Young Money Records. A deal which breaks down as a joint venture between YM and Cash Money, with Universal Republic handling the distribution.
    "Today is a definitely a comfortable day for me, having my team now that's been in place for a couple of years. It's just a great day. It's something new, but it feels familiar," Drake told MTV.
    During the weeks, fans were guessing which label would get the newest superstar; with some begging him to go independent; in which Drake had the following to say.

"Independent is a funny term. I can go independent, but you need distribution, period. You need somebody to distribute your record and you need that army that a label has to really push the record."
    The final result comes to little surprise to some as Drake has been running with Lil Wayne for quite sometime now, most recently performing alongside Mr. Carter at the BET Awards last night URL="http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/videos/id.3092/title."]click to watch[/URL despite having torn his ACL just a few days prior.

so expect lots of clone music to be churned out

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

I have no problem with the auto-tuner if it is used to add distortion to a singers/rappers voice in a certain part of a song, however this Wheezy bull**** of rapping a whole track with it annoys me! Its boring and unpleasant to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

godspal wrote: »
    I have no problem with the auto-tuner if it is used to add distortion to a singers/rappers voice in a certain part of a song, however this Wheezy bull**** of rapping a whole track with it annoys me! Its boring and unpleasant to listen to.

+ 1 actually. i know people say they are just pandering to the south with the song, but i love the way its used in just one particular both in red and meth's verses in "City lights"

I actually liked when T-Pain did it first. it was fresh, new and something different, and he knew how not to overkill it. But my god, why the **** do rappers need to rap though it? Kanye's verse in Put On by Jeezy would have been amazing if he just spat it from the heart. But when he puts it through the vocoder, he loses the emotion.

You should check out the new Jay-Z track called D.O.A. (Death of Autotune). I think he sums it up extremely well....and it's a banger

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    You should check out the new Jay-Z track called D.O.A. (Death of Autotune). I think he sums it up extremely well....and it's a banger

Heard this a couple of weeks ago and is a top tune. Also Harvey Keitel and Lebron in the vid is class.

P.S. No idea who Drake is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dani Adelante

I like his song right now, but has anyone listened to Uptown? That was on repeat on my iPod back in February/March. Really good song if you like Drake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Boom_Bap wrote: »

I really don't think it's a banger at all. I like Jay-Z as much as anyone but that doesn't mean he gets a free pass, the verses and hook are weak. Successful is a better track IMO

• Advertisement

havent heard Successful yet but i'lll listen out for it. I think the lyrics are quite good in D.O.A., very honest lyrics. The hook is a bit weak though, but i dont think he could have come up with anything better to go over No I.D.'s breakdown for the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

the nah nah nah bit wreaks my head, really puts me off it!!

listened to best i ever a few weeks back and honestly think its rubbish, far too much swearing for a song that id expect soulja boy to be putting out and children to be buying!!

Advertisement