Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oil painter by book???

Options
  • 18-06-2009 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I have always wanted to have a go at oil painting, my DH got me a book on the subject and thinks that this is all that I would need to get me started. I think that a night class would have been a better option even for the simple reason that there is a person who you can ask if you have any questions... Has anyone ever learned all that they needed to know about oil painting from a book??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi heathcliff - give the book a chance - get out your paints and read up on the basics, using the turps/linseed oil etc. Then just have some fun, start getting used to the texture of the paint, blending and enjoy it. A night class is great for instruction, but you can do quite well on your own using a book, with the internet as a reference tool for any questions you may have ;)

Give it a shot!

Advertisement