Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Insulin resistance

• 14-06-2009 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Hi guys
    I went to a doctor about 6 months ago and although it wasn't for this reason he felt I might suffer from insulin resistance and he prescribed metformin (glucophage) I've lost one stone since Jan - but it's taking ages!!! Ok so I'm not great at sticking to diets. I once lost 4 stone with WW in about 8 months and expect to lose it this quickly everytime.

The problem is with insulin resistance, you don't lose weight as quickly as you should. I don't know why it's taken me so long to actually see how serious this is... because I'm only 26. I think I'm addicted to food. I've always been overweight and am currently at my heaviest. I'd love to slim down. I go to the gym and quite enjoy it but the food side of things really gets me. I've bought a book on the South beach diet because I think I should be focusing on low GI instead of WW because I'm terrifed I'll develop Diabetes....

The glucophage were diagnosed for PCOS btw... but now i'm wondering if the doc thinks I have diabetes or early stages of it. The thing I'm wondering is has anyone else tried the South beach diet or any tips about what i can do. I'm so used to weight watchers it really confuses me learning that the "diet" products aren't good for you. I can't imagine eating nuts that are high in fat when I'm trying to lose weight. i'm just confused and starting to get extremely worried about my health. I know I need to change my diet but i'm sick of trying and failing. does anyone have any tips?? How do the slim ppl do it? lol

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Lynn-

the problem with weight watcher products- is that often you are replacing products that might naturally have a fat content of X with one with a lowered fat content- but using alternate ingredients to emulate the taste and texture (this tends to be sugars (both simple and complex)) but also salts etc. If you have been prescribed glucophage or any other product which will impact on digestive and metabolatory regulation- you really need 1. clarification from your GP/consultant as to the exact reasons they are prescribing you specific medications and 2. dietary advice from a dietician who is thoroughly familiar with that medical condition (whatever it may be).

Very unfortunately life is not black and white- the last thing you want to do is possibly impact a pre-existing condition by blindly following a diet(s) which have not factored an individuals medical history into the equation.

Best wishes,

Shane

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

lynsalot wrote: »
    Hi guys
    I went to a doctor about 6 months ago and although it wasn't for this reason he felt I might suffer from insulin resistance and he prescribed metformin (glucophage) I've lost one stone since Jan - but it's taking ages!!! Ok so I'm not great at sticking to diets. I once lost 4 stone with WW in about 8 months and expect to lose it this quickly everytime.

The problem is with insulin resistance, you don't lose weight as quickly as you should. I don't know why it's taken me so long to actually see how serious this is... because I'm only 26. I think I'm addicted to food. I've always been overweight and am currently at my heaviest. I'd love to slim down. I go to the gym and quite enjoy it but the food side of things really gets me. I've bought a book on the South beach diet because I think I should be focusing on low GI instead of WW because I'm terrifed I'll develop Diabetes....

The glucophage were diagnosed for PCOS btw... but now i'm wondering if the doc thinks I have diabetes or early stages of it. The thing I'm wondering is has anyone else tried the South beach diet or any tips about what i can do. I'm so used to weight watchers it really confuses me learning that the "diet" products aren't good for you. I can't imagine eating nuts that are high in fat when I'm trying to lose weight. i'm just confused and starting to get extremely worried about my health. I know I need to change my diet but i'm sick of trying and failing. does anyone have any tips?? How do the slim ppl do it? lol

Jesus, there's a drug for insulin resistance? Eat the nuts, the fat will make you feel more full than the equivalent calories of sugar and you'll be less likely to go mad on the snacking get some fruit&veg an quality lean meats in there too. Try not to eat anything with a million ingredients. Food either comes from trees and fields or things that live in fields and trees, not factories. This sort of approach will almost always be low gi, which should get the insulin under control. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

should be focusing on low GI instead of WW because I'm terrifed I'll develop Diabetes.
    There is no reason people cannot have a low GI diet combined with WW points.
    smccarrick wrote: »
    the problem with weight watcher products- is that often you are replacing products that might naturally have a fat content of X with one with a lowered fat content- but using alternate ingredients to emulate the taste and texture (this tends to be sugars (both simple and complex))
    Very true. The WW points system needs updating IMO, It demonises fat in its calculation which gives higher points to fatty foods.
    600kcal of dessicated coconut is 21.5points
    600kcal of white sugar is 8.5points

Over 2.5 times the points but the same calories, this is due to the fat content of the coconut
    now i'm wondering if the doc thinks I have diabetes or early stages of it.
    I think you had best ask him that. As said you should not be blindly following advice/diets without consulting your doctor.

From the rules in the charter
    Bear in mind we are not professional nutritionists and we are not doctors, so don't look for medical advice. Please seek advice from your Dr. or a Nutritionist before embarking on any major overhaul of your eating habits.
    I am afraid I am going to have to lock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement