Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird guy hanging out near Sheriff St (Connolly car park entrance)

Options
  • 11-06-2009 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know what the story is with this guy? I work in IFSC and park in Connolly and he is there all day, every day, on the road outside the car park entrance. Usually at the bus stop at the entrance to the car park but today had moved nearer the astro pitch at the Sherriff youth club. He talks to himself (or his imaginary buddy) constantly and sometimes even has a few beers. The lads working in the car park would be wary of him and so would I. The detectives invariably parked on the street make no attempmt to move him on, even when he has his top off drinking Bud in the middle of the afternoon.

Today on my way to the car park I forgot to cross to the other side of the road. He was having a good old converstaion with "someone" and it was quiet violent - talks of 'smashing his bollix'. And I noticed that his head is covered in scars.

Whilst he may be 'harmless' what is to say that he won't flip some day and some poor person will be on the wrong side of his rage.

I was contemplating calling store street but really don't know if they would bother doing anything.

Does anyone know who this guy is or what his story is?

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinBhoyJoe

Hi Tom,

I know the chap, he was there at 8am this morning wearing shorts, I pretty sure he got bet up a few years back and he never recovered, As far as I know he is harmless he does not mind anybody, He spends a lot of time at the corner of seville place that is where he is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

He's minding his own business and not talking to you,keep on walking and go to work.Call store street and what are they going to do??Seriously mind Your own business .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Thats the place. Never really sure of the street names, probably near Connelly car park is Lower Sheriff St/Oriel St

Harmless an all, he is quite unnerving

NilByMouth wrote: »
    He's minding his own business and not talking to you,keep on walking and go to work.Call store street and what are they going to do??Seriously mind Your own business .

I am minding my own business. I am worried about him someday not minding HIS own business.

get a job on the south side,no mentally ill,topless beer drinkers,bollix smashing people over there.

OP do you not realise that Dublins a big city,not everybody functions the best(life's like that)and he might just be playing the cards he got dealt.He is minding his own business let him get on with it.

And asking on the internerd whether anybody knows him(yeahs he's the only harmless touched bloke in dublin) is a wee bit sad.
    enjoy work in the morning:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

get a job on the south side,no mentally ill,topless beer drinkers,bollix smashing people over there.

Obviously youve never been to City Quay or Temple Bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Thats the place. Never really sure of the street names, probably near Connelly car park is Lower Sheriff St/Oriel St

Commons St.

This guy just appeared out of nowhere a few weeks ago, maybe a bit longer, and has been there every day since. I noticed he'd moved further up the road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DublinBhoyJoe

Commons St.

This guy just appeared out of nowhere a few weeks ago, maybe a bit longer, and has been there every day since. I noticed he'd moved further up the road today.

Again I live in the area and know this chap, He is harmless, He is standing on the corner of seville place for the last few years and he minded his own business nobody complained about him.

By the way if anbody wants to know who he is talking to, His 2 best friends commited suicide a few years ago and thats who he is talking to..So he is harmless

Obviously youve never been to City Quay or Temple Bar
    Was said tongue in cheek.

Besides its a well known fact that the people that be in temple bar are northsiders over for the day.

OP do you not realise that Dublins a big city,not everybody functions the best(life's like that)and he might just be playing the cards he got dealt.He is minding his own business let him get on with it.

And asking on the internerd whether anybody knows him(yeahs he's the only harmless touched bloke in dublin) is a wee bit sad.
    enjoy work in the morning:D

Hardly helpful. Did I even mention in my anything about this occuring on the Northside? No! Get off your feckin high horse. As for it being a 'wee bit sad' - I know he is not the only person like this in Dublin but he happens to be the only person like this who I need to walk past each day on the way to work.

I am sure that the man who stabbed a pregnant women in the back suring the week was also though to be 'harmless'. He has a mental disorder which is triggered by alcohol.

I just find it strange that in a residental area with a youth club and football pitch that a man is allowed loiter day in day out with no-one even questioning why he is there or if there is a better palce for him.

No one should feel intimidated about walking to work. I was merely asking the question he to try to get some kind of reassurance that this guys isn't going to flip some day and so poor person will bear the brunt of it

• Advertisement

By the way if anbody wants to know who he is talking to, His 2 best friends commited suicide a few years ago and thats who he is talking to..So he is harmless

How does that confirm he is harmless?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

why do you need to know why he is there? its his right in a free country to stand where ever he wishes as long as he is not causing any trouble. the gardai have far more serious things to be dealing with than taking some poor old lads drink off of him. from what you say it appears its the only thing he has in his life.
    you carry on about your daily business which is going to and from work he gos about his daily business which is standing on the footpath minding his own business. for all you know he could be standing there waiting for someone!

you ask if there could be a better place for him to be, where do you suggest?? just because you see him standing there everyday at the same time does not mean there is something wrong with him. you pass him by everyday at the same time does that mean there is something wrong with you too!!

fact of the matter is nobody knows for sure if the guy is going to flip out one day but then again who knows for sure your not going to flip out one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

I was waiting for a bus to work at the bus stop this man was sitting at yesterday, and I agree with the previous posters that it was frightening - he looked like he was having a psychotic episode - slapping and violently shaking his head, cursing at passing vehicles, and talking to himself. I saw the scars and figured it was the result of an accident or beating.
    I'm five months pregnant and was very concerned about my safety so crossed over the road to wait. The Gardai drove by but didn't pay any attention to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

The guy is harmless. Ive seen him there alot lately, probably because of the good weather. He was actually rolling a joint as i walked back to my car at about four yesterday. I laughed because the guards are just parked accross the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I was merely asking the question he to try to get some kind of reassurance that this guys isn't going to flip some day and so poor person will bear the brunt of it

How on earth could people on boards reassure you that he isn't "going to flip" someday in the future?

What do you think should happen? The Gardai won't move him on because he's not breaking any laws and, where do they move him on to? Just out of your way and into someone elses, is that it?
    Lock him up and throw away the key so that you don't have to see him as you buy your breakfast on the way in to work? "Uuurgh, poor people!"

He hasn't hurt anyone, he's not hurting anyone and you want to lock him up just because he might one day hurt someone although nobody knows who is going to hurt who in the future?

"There, but for the grace of God, go I." et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I was merely asking the question he to try to get some kind of reassurance that this guys isn't going to flip some day and so poor person will bear the brunt of it

i think this bit here is whats annoying people the most..

almost anybody "could" speed in their car, lose control because of dangerous driving or their own stupidity and some poor person will bear the brunt of it; and i suppose thats just in their psyche or whatever but you can't pre-determine that and stop them from speeding so the same applies to him.

He's not really doing anything wrong(apart from drinking in public being a reason to be moved on), and with the detectives ignoring him its probably community policing if hes local..

Not on a high horse.Your the one that wants to ring the gardai because some poor ol sod talks to himself and has a few cans with his top off.The gardai in store street have better things to be doin than molly coddling the likes of you.

As to reassuring your safety in the future I cant.try this link every morning before going to work.At least you will be forewarned:

http://horoscopes.astrology.com/index/dailyindex.html

Would suggest taking up boxing or some sort of self defense if your that worried about him.Or start carring a mini baseball bat ubder your jacket.And remember hit first and hit hard!!

feel reassured now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - the man have mental health problems which manifest in the behaviour you have described. Just because he does not meet your version of what is normal in society, it doesn't mean he is dangerous. There are thousands of people in Dublin with similar problems but, just because they manage to 'hide' it you may not be aware of them.

I accept that you personally may find him intimidating but I find that hard to understand. If you take a walk up O'Connell/Henry/Grafton Street any day of the week, you are going to be amidst much more dangerous people. A man was sentenced to life imprisonment a couple of days ago for a very serious crime. He had a mental illness but I'm sure he appeared perfectly normal to the two tourists who invited him back to their hotel room.

Drinking in public is illegal but, as other have said, the Gardai have much more important things to be doing than badgering a loner with health problems from having a few cans in the good weather. It's the quiet 'normal' people that you need to be cautious about. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement