Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Accident Today at Phibsboro/NCR junction

Options
  • 09-06-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I don't know if anyone can help but I'm at my wits end. My car was hit today after 12 noon by a big yellow articulated truck, left hand drive, and I think it had curtain sides. The start of the reg was BS, anyway truck continued on even though bystanders shouted at him to stop. My car has over €3000 of damage and insurance says without other driver I will lose no claims bonus and have to pay €400 excess to repair. I was completely in the right and even moved across white line to try to get away from truck as it took the corner. Traffic cameras are live feed only and don't keep any archive so no luck there.
    I don't really know what I'm looking for, ideas I suppose!?!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Did you call the Gardaí? Can't be too many yellow artics in Dublin with curtainside trailers and foreign reg's?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jerdi

Yep, bystander rang the guards immediately and they told me to come down to Montjoy station to make a statement as damage was only material. Did that and guard was very sympathic and helpful but basically left it up to me or insurance company to find the driver. I am just curious about what trucks are allowed in the city, I thought they all had to go around the M50. Do they have to get a permit for to go in and if so is it short lived? ANything that would reduce that needle in a haystack feeling I'm having.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Jerdi wrote: »
    Yep, bystander rang the guards immediately and they told me to come down to Montjoy station to make a statement as damage was only material. Did that and guard was very sympathic and helpful but basically left it up to me or insurance company to find the driver. I am just curious about what trucks are allowed in the city, I thought they all had to go around the M50. Do they have to get a permit for to go in and if so is it short lived? ANything that would reduce that needle in a haystack feeling I'm having.

Truck needs a permit to enter the City Centre, also any CCTV in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Is tht doyles corner your talking about?
    theres loads of cameras there. ask the people in the pub to see if they can help,

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

The truck was quite possibly a foreign truck that was heading to the port to catch a ferry. I'd say he's long gone now and even if you could get his reg what use would it be.?
    Unfortunately I think the OP is just going to have to take a hit on this and put it down to experience.

• Advertisement

Truck was heading from town and turned left to go Cabra direction. Insurance company seem to think they can claim of him regardless of where he is from once they trace him. I'm resigned to the financial loss its just beats me that he can get away like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I agree it's very wrong that he can get away with it. On the other hand it's possible he didn't even know that he had hit you. If the drivers side rear of the trailer hit you , you could have been in a blindspot and the driver probably didn't even feel it.
    I'd have expected the Gardai to have been more helpful though in the case of a hit and run. Then again , having dealt with the Gardai in Mountjoy I'm not surprised.

He looked out his window (left of truck) and saw me cos I was leaning on the car horn, otherwise I would have given him benefit of the doubt cos those big trucks wouldn't even experience a jolt in that situation. C'est la vie. I have narrowed country down to Czech Republic with reg BS so thats a start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

As already said, CCTV from shops, pubs etc. is your best bet. You'd be quite surprised how wide angle they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

OP, what I have often noticed is a plaque or sign put up in the area, with a brief description of accident, day, date, vehicles involved. Leave a number that people can contact you at if they have any info.

I know that if I saw this happen I would automatically keep a record of the reg plate.

I know this leaves you wide open to prank calls, but it may be worth it in the search for info

Good Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The truck was quite possibly a foreign truck that was heading to the port to catch a ferry. I'd say he's long gone now and even if you could get his reg what use would it be.?
    Unfortunately I think the OP is just going to have to take a hit on this and put it down to experience.

As stated, he can still claim but more importantly, the driver left the scene of an accident. This is a serious offence in itself, being a foreigner can;t excuse that and he should be made firmly aware that it's not acceptable if he doesn't already know, and punished for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BS is from Brno (city) and would be a pre-2002 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

Jerdi wrote: »
    My car has over €3000 of damage and insurance says without other driver I will lose no claims bonus and have to pay €400 excess to repair.

That's not correct about loosing bonus, you can make a claim against or with
    Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland, they will cover you for damage cause by uninsured or untraced vehicles and foreign registered vehicles.

See website

http://www.mibi.ie/

Advertisement