Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Kebab in Town?

Options
  • 08-06-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭

I'm staying in the IFSC. Fancy a kebab. Where's the best place to go? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

For me it's zaytoon on parliament st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

havana wrote: »
    For me it's zaytoon on parliament st.
    Cheers.
    Think I had one there before... Very good, but a bit of a trek. May have to get a sherbet... Is there any decent one within walking distance?

Loathe as I am to post again, straight after my previous contribution, but I just have to.

I'd had a kebab from this place before and it was good. But the kebab that I'm just after eating was quite possibly the best kebab I've ever had.

I had one in Belfast the other week, and I gave it a 9 on my kebab-o-meter, but this one is pushing for a score of 11... Unbelievable... Well worth the €13 in sherbet fares...

I whole-heartedly endorse this kebab house...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ishmals on baggot street too... just below zaytoon on kebab o meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Zaytoon has lost its crown to the newish place next door called Mezza. Admittedly it may not have as nice a layout as its legendary neighbour, but the kebabs are made with love and attention unlike Zaytoon which has become too much of 'slop on the sauce-next please' conveyor belt. You still get to sit down with a plate and cutlery which I remember being Zaytoon's big innovation when they first opened.

PS: We need a kebab forum on Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Maybe to late and to far for you but if you ever pass Tasty Hut on Dorset Street drop in and get a donor, nyom nyom, they are lovely, come with a fresh nann bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

The best I've had is from Spice n Rice on Dorset Street. I'm a big fan of Zaytoon but reckon this is better. Perfect freshly made naan, fantastic sauces and succulent meat.

dancor wrote: »
    Maybe to late and to far for you but if you ever pass Tasty Hut on Dorset Street drop in and get a donor, nyom nyom, they are lovely, come with a fresh nann bread.
    Not too late as I am staying for another night and so may have to have one tonight as well.

Think I may try to live on kebabs for a month á la "Supersize Me"...

I agree with the kebab forum idea, also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

istanbul in the epicurian food hall

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

Had one today from a Turkish Kebab Shop on Upper Dorset St (50 yds above Delahuntys) Mixed Doner/Chicken Kebab,Chips and a can of Coke(diet) set me back 8 euro.
    Not the best Kebab in town but not bad...

• Advertisement

Just had one from Mezza. NIce but not great. Good bit of gristle in it. May have to go back to Zaytoon for tonight's kebab...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

latenia wrote: »
    Zaytoon has lost its crown to the newish place next door called Mezza. Admittedly it may not have as nice a layout as its legendary neighbour, but the kebabs are made with love and attention unlike Zaytoon which has become too much of 'slop on the sauce-next please' conveyor belt. You still get to sit down with a plate and cutlery which I remember being Zaytoon's big innovation when they first opened.

PS: We need a kebab forum on Boards.
    Amen to the Kebab forum.

Zaytoon stopped caring about five years ago. I remember being up in Belfast a couple of years ago and dropped into a Kebab house on the Falls. Sweet Baby Dawkins, it was a revelation.

I've been to similar places in the North East of England, and even the most dingy back-street kebab emporium would put Zaytoon to shame.

The true test of a kebab is would you eat the left-overs for breakfast the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

sneem-man wrote: »
    Had one today from a Turkish Kebab Shop on Upper Dorset St (50 yds above Delahuntys) Mixed Doner/Chicken Kebab,Chips and a can of Coke(diet) set me back 8 euro.
    Not the best Kebab in town but not bad...

That place aint the best for kebabs, but the chips and pizza is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

istanbul in the epicurian food hall

+1. The rice there is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

The true test of a kebab is would you eat the left-overs for breakfast the next morning.

I disagree, the true test of a kebab is the lack of leftovers the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I recommend a place called Germany.

Its just out to the airport and than onto a €20 Ryanair flight for 90 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭greener&leaner

I recommend Best Mangal in West Kensington in London.

It's not too far from Barons Court either, if you're on the Piccadilly line out to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Alicante at the seafront promenade. Sublime

EDIT: Try not get stabbed there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Archway Kebab,Archway,London :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

If we're playing oneupmanship here, how about Djemaa el Fna Square in Marrakech? 99p + taxes ex-Luton on Ryanair. I've eaten kebabs on 5 continents and this was the greatest experience. I still have to visit Istanbul and Tehran though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Dublin City Forum folks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

ishmals on baggot street too... just below zaytoon on kebab o meter

Terrible kebab for me. Packed full of coleslaw :(

An I was going to say the best kebab I had in Ireland was in Newry but I won't ignore the mod warning ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I recommend a place called Germany.

Its just out to the airport and than onto a €20 Ryanair flight for 90 mins.

The kebab shop under the Babelsberg S Bahn station. Best kebabs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Iskanders (probably spelt differently) on dame street.

I'm drooling at the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Best Kebab from memory was from Sultan on Georges St. Was fairly locked but clearly remember thinking it was awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

There is a place up near portobello bridge, its really excellent. But I can't think of the name of it, as I haven't been there for a while. Also everytime I've been there, Al Jazeera is always on their telly!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Refresh

i am hungry now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Refresh wrote: »
    i am hungry now lol

get your swiss up to the kebab hut in rialto so. THE new place in dublin for good kebabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Iskanders is the best for me so far. When does it open again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

latenia wrote: »
    I've eaten kebabs on 5 continents and this was the greatest experience. I still have to visit Istanbul and Tehran though...

Respect! It's like you travelled specifically to taste kebabs! If you did, I bow to you.

Best one abroad for me was in Essaouira in Morocco, got it in a street stall, a bit of a mad drive from Agadir but worth it.

Enough boasting, this is the Dublin forum and you lot have covered the best places, fair play to you. The Turkish place in the Epicurean food hall is brilliant value, 10 Euro (approx) for a plate full of lamb, sauce the salad and a choice of pitta bread or rice with a soft drink. The lads are dead on too, and your wife can go and get some healthy crap and watch you in disgust as the sauce dribbles down your chin. I don't think the quality is as good as some of the places you have mentioned, but the service, quantity and price is brilliant, its a full meal.

Advertisement