Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think of these two statements?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading the Irish entry on Wikitravel, and it lead onto the Dublin one, in which I noticed two interesting paragraphs:
    Krystle, Harcourt St D2. This club is a new haven for the beautiful people and rich and affluent which loosely translated in essence means fantastic looking women. The door policy is as you'd expect and you have to be a real asshole to get in...but if your bag is hanging out with models and fine looking posh Dublin girls who wish they were models knock yourself out, just give it all you got on the "my daddy owns Statoil" line at the door. To be perfectly honest if you are foreign looking at all you won't get in unless you are a heir to an Arab oil empire. A right pretentious spot. Full of rugby wearing daddy's Range Rover guys.
    This seemed to me to be harsh, and I waswondering what people thought of it, but the following paragraph really caught my eye.
    The Dublin suburb of Finglas is a hive of drug related crime, with frequent gun attacks occuring at all hours of the day and night. Tourists should avoid this area at all times. Please note that several "airport" hotels can be found within a short distance of this area. Check a reliable site like TripAdvisor before booking a hotel anywhere near this area.
    Is this a fair characterisation of Finglas?
    Personally, I'm not sure that Finglas, while an almighty ****hole, is as bad as that implies.
    What do ya think?

EDIT: Dublin forum. Goddammit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Did you just Biko yourself?! Impressive!

Not sure about the Finglas review, but the first one seems dead on to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I was reading the Irish entry on Wikitravel, and it lead onto the Dublin one, in which I noticed two interesting paragraphs:

This seemed to me to be harsh, and I waswondering what people thought of it, but the following paragraph really caught my eye.

Is this a fair characterisation of Finglas?
    Personally, I'm not sure that Finglas, while an almighty ****hole, is as bad as that implies.
    What do ya think?

EDIT: Dublin forum. Goddammit.

Why would a tourist want to go to Finglas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

It makes Finglas sound like Helmand Province. The only people shot generally are those involved in the drugs trade. So basically don't be a scumbag and you won't get shot.

I don't live in or even near Finglas but I know several people who live there and while they say it can be rough it certainly isn't a warzone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Why would a tourist want to go to Finglas?

Like the review said, there are a lot of hotels out that way that are advertised as being near the airport. I work with tourists and a lot of them book accommodation out that way

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Finglas is a huge place, I've never had any trouble in Finglas, but I've only been in the "good" areas.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I was born in Santry and when I was a kid you could hear nearly non-stop gunfire from the Finglas direction. I think there's only one person left alive in Finglas these days. He still has occasional shoot-outs with himself. So, yes, the second statement is fairly accurate. The first must be, too, by association.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I frequent D2 often enough of a year and I'm no rugger bugger. Though I am an asshole and did play rugby in school and have chatted up models so maybe...

Finglas is fine. I've a mate out that direction and I've never had any trouble at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Well I frequent D2 often enough of a year and I'm no rugger bugger. Though I am an asshole and did play rugby in school and have chatted up models so maybe...

D2 is just Coppers with eyeliner.

As for Krystle, The first quote sounds like it was written by someone who didn't get entry (it's kinda hard not to, the foreign thing definitely isn't true either) and the latter, I dunno... it does sound like an exaggeration.

Never trust wikipedia or its spawn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

They're not talking about D2, they're talking about Krystle - but points for attention anyway.

Think the first entry is spot-on, the Finglas one is a bit much but completely understandable given its probably the roughest area in dublin these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

theres a shooting on average about every 4 days in finglas, not exactly baghdad but why would anyone willingly choose to live there?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I was born in Santry and when I was a kid you could hear nearly non-stop gunfire from the Finglas direction. I think there's only one person left alive in Finglas these days. He still has occasional shoot-outs with himself. So, yes, the second statement is fairly accurate. The first must be, too, by association.

yeah sorry bout that, i just sometimes get bored and try to see if I can get so XXXXed up on drugs and still manage not to shoot myself

I live in finglas, been here since january and since I moved only 2 people have been shot (both dealers so it doesnt really bother me)
    Like all major cities (and most small 1s too in england) there are some bad areas which you know to stay out off
    Anyway, theres feck all to do here for tourists here

And D2, just once I would love to go in swingin a bat and then ask if "daddy can pay to fix your face", yeah Is got issues

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I walked through Finglas once (accidentally) with the girlfriend and survived.

We went for a random walk as you do which happened to take us through Stoneybatter and part of Cabra. When we crossed over a railway junction and canal/river I was a little unsure as to where we were. We started walking up a hill where we admired the horses in the fields and thought that was nice. As we came up the hill I noticed one or two buildings had metal grates in front of their windows and thought that was odd. I glanced around looking for a sign and saw a street sign with D11 written on it. Oh Sh1t.

I rang a colleage from work who grew up in Finglas and told him where we were. 'Keep walking, head straight down the other side of the hill and don't stop' were his words. It turns out that coming over the canal/river had brought us into the worst part of Finglas according to himself.

Anywhoo moral of the story is we survived so Finglas ain't as bad as that Wikipedia entry makes out.

jimi_t wrote: »
    They're not talking about D2, they're talking about Krystle - but points for attention anyway.

Krystle is in Dublin 2 - I assume that's what he meant? maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I wouldn't call the first statement harsh. Funny but true.

The second statement is OTT but has some true elements. Without any doubt the author of that piece frequents Krystle :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Finally. Moved from AH. Culled to remove the stench of AH. Packaged up real nice and delivered to its natural home.
    /runs.

Advertisement