Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

an post delays/customs

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

It takes them 2 usually to send the letter out to me,

2 what? 2 months? ;)
    Its not that Im impatient, but it already took a long time getting to Ireland, so the paypal 45 day limit will expire soon. If its still sitting there this time next week Ill certainly have to email them.
    The last time I received a customs letter within a day or two, perhaps I was lucky that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

2 what? 2 months? ;)
    Its not that Im impatient, but it already took a long time getting to Ireland, so the paypal 45 day limit will expire soon. If its still sitting there this time next week Ill certainly have to email them.
    The last time I received a customs letter within a day or two, perhaps I was lucky that time.

Sorry should be 2 weeks! lol They're usually very slow in sending me out letters.

Waiting on something from the US myself that should have arrived by now. No tracking number so I've to wait to see if customs have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

And if you say you didn't pay for the item, it was a gift from your relative in Hong Kong?..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

And if you say you didn't pay for the item, it was a gift from your relative in Hong Kong?..

All parcels I revive have the corperate name on the customs declaration , so would not fly, anyway I always work out cost of items abroad with vat from the start and put that money aside, if it does get thought them it's a bonus, and if you try and avoid it can just cause a lot of problems, if customs think somthing is undervalued they will just hold it and ask for an invoice, there not stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Puding wrote: »
    All parcels I revive have the corperate name on the customs declaration , so would not fly, anyway I always work out cost of items abroad with vat from the start and put that money aside, if it does get thought them it's a bonus, and if you try and avoid it can just cause a lot of problems, if customs think somthing is undervalued they will just hold it and ask for an invoice, there not stupid

Eh?

My question was, what if I didn't pay for the item, it was a gift from my relative in Hong Kong?

The letters from Customs are somewhat presumptuous, are they not? "you must email or fax your paypal receipt".

Not all incoming parcels are contain items paid for by the recipient, with paypal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

Sorry, the wording you used in your post is normal used when people are looking for ways to try and avoid vat and duty

if your reviving a gift from hk then it should be marked as such when posted , I believe there are limits on what classes as a gift in terms of value , over a set value duty and vat will need to be paid
    , small stuff would be fine start importing large volumes or big items and you could run into problems

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭magmay

Hi,

I paid postman customs duty e8.40 and e6.00 post office clearance charge. I did not receive a receipt. The company I purchased from agreed to refund the charge on production of receipt. Should An Post have issued a receipt or will Customs send the receipt automatically asap?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

magmay wrote: »
    Hi,

I paid postman customs duty e8.40 and e6.00 post office clearance charge. I did not receive a receipt. The company I purchased from agreed to refund the charge on production of receipt. Should An Post have issued a receipt or will Customs send the receipt automatically asap?

What company did you order from, I've never seen any site offer to refund import duty/vat, you have to pay that yourself. Have never received a receipt from An Post either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

magmay wrote: »
    Hi,

There should have been a sticker on the package with the duty due on it - this is your reciept. I tried to get a proper VAT reciept recently for a work-related package and after much transferring of my call I was told that the sticker IS the only reciept that they issue. Pain in the ass to submit a scrunched up sticker cut off a package with my VAT return! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Puding wrote: »
    Sorry, the wording you used in your post is normal used when people are looking for ways to try and avoid vat and duty

if your reviving a gift from hk then it should be marked as such when posted , I believe there are limits on what classes as a gift in terms of value , over a set value duty and vat will need to be paid
    , small stuff would be fine start importing large volumes or big items and you could run into problems

Hello Puding,

have a look at this post. Hopefully that clarifies the issue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207975&page=2

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 randonio12

realismpol wrote: »
    Anyone else finding their items being held in customs a long time? Usually they are quicker then this, Have items still at the mail center in portlaoise since last thursday. Anyone else experiencing this or have your packages been delivered quick during the past week?

yah i got the same! they sent a letter and i had to send them my paypal receipt, i was only ordering an android tablet from hong kong at 161€ as my birthday gift, and her now i got charged €39.85 :eek: and shipping arriving friday 22nd. scarlot for them! :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

necro thread

in before lefty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

randonio12 wrote: »
    yah i got the same! they sent a letter and i had to send them my paypal receipt, i was only ordering an android tablet from hong kong at 161€ as my birthday gift, and her now i got charged €39.85 :eek: and shipping arriving friday 22nd. scarlot for them! :confused: :mad:

How dare they try and tax your items....

And what the hell is with all these bloody necro posts lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Sorry to bump

I am having problems with a company called eurolens.ie (they have a .ie domain but they are actually based in the states) So when you order contact lenses you assume there will be a short delivery time because they are Irish...seven weeks later....nada! I suspect the lenses are sitting in customs somewhere but get this - they sent them by STANDARD post so they cannot be tracked! How ridiculous.

They have now refunded the money (supposedly) to my credit card because its been 6 weeks and the item is considered "lost".

On to a very helpful lady in customs as I type this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Should have gone to specsavers :D

Sorry I couldn't resist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

BioHazRd wrote: »
    Should have gone to specsavers :D

Sorry I couldn't resist

Had to happen eventually... :rolleyes:

The lady I spoke to in customs was lovely but she said without a tracking number there was very little they could do (understandable). She likened it to "looking for a needle in a haystack" - to which I couldn't help pointing out, is harder without contact lenses lol :D

Thankfully I have kept the same wonderful opticians for years who have been able to order me in a "trial pair" to keep me going until I get tested and order new batch.

Its the last time I order something like this online!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaron broe

Anyone have the email for the custom they are holding my parcel and the email they gave me wasnt the correct one ? please they are holding my android box .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaron broe

Anyone have the email for the custom they are holding my parcel and the email they gave me wasnt the correct one ? please they are holding my android box .

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

aaron broe wrote: »

I think you want to maybe tell the forum exactly what the problem is.

Please advise what the letter is saying exactly. Then we may be able to provide advice on how to best deal with the issue.

You realise ofcourse that there is a crackdown on android boxes as they are illegal?

Regards,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement