Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The return of Sean Russell.

Options
  • 03-06-2009 1:53pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The Sean Russell statue in Fairview park has been replaced.
    The new statue of him is about two inches taller than the previous one (even when he had his head on). It appears on close inspection to be moulded/cast from some kind of metals. This head won't be lopped in a hurry (looks like burning equipment or hacksaw job for those that do that kinda thing to those kinda objects).

Firstly I was curious as to how people feel about this asthetically?
    To me it's too tall for the original plynth it stands on. The new choice of materials clash awfully with the original stone (which has scrubbed up well) and the short iron railing that surrounds it. It also looks as though it was created by at least for different hands from four different schools of sculpture (and none the right school). This is to me: asthetically apalling. It's is an afront to art and representation of character. This is two fingers to Dublin residents. An utter artistic abortion!

Secondly: do people think the correct decision has been made in re-erecting the statue of this man?
    As I sat there beside it with my snack box from Hill Billy's I missed the headless statue. It was curiously Dublin...almost iconically Dublin. Without the head this piece displayed wit. Without the head it generated interest and discussion. Important national reflection.
    Even with the head it could generate these thoughts, but without it? It became improbably brilliant.
    I miss the headless one as it drew thoughts, considerations and sometimes compassion from me as I'd sit on the top deck of the bus in the rain, slowly crawling past him. I'd make a window for him through the condensation on the glass with my fingers, almost waving in a benign sense, at him.
    This new one only draws bile from deep within my stomach.
    But I'm curious as to what others think. Asthetically and socially.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ill be going by there in a while so ill have a look

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

ill be going by there in a while so ill have a look
    I can recommend the Meal Deal Feast. Very tasty and a pretty good combo.

humberklog wrote: »
    I can recommend the Meal Deal Feast. Very tasty and a pretty good combo.

haha yeah the food is lovely in hillbillys but my mother is cooking so i cant go in to visit her without eating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

So where has the headless statue one gone?
    It will be nice to see him back with his head on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Who was Sean Russell and why was he headless? Also, since when has he been headless? I only noticed the statue a couple of months back because it was headless. I thought it was Jebediah Springfield.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Who was Sean Russell and why was he headless? Also, since when has he been headless? I only noticed the statue a couple of months back because it was headless. I thought it was Jebediah Springfield.
    He was the leader of the ira army council in post civil was Ireland. He died in 1940 aboard a German Navy U-Boat (from a dicky appendix) attempting to bring arms into Ireland in order to destabalize the north whilst Britiain had the gerries to be thinking about.
    The most recent attack on the statue was in 2004 but this was ju7st one of many over the years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He has hidden his gun and got a new set of clothes - why he could almost be a Shinne....oh, wait...

spurious wrote: »
    He has hidden his gun and got a new set of clothes - why he could almost be a Shinne....oh, wait...

Yeah he's gone from a kinda Jimmy Cagney indoor look to a Jimmy Cagney outdoor look.

saw it earlier, looks like it wouldnt be out of place in grafton street because im sure if you threw money on front of it it would move

Advertisement