Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little Jerusalem

Options
  • 01-06-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is wrong place, but do any of ya guys have some pics of 'little jerusalem' i think it would have been cool to see it, my grandparents on both sides lived near here(they were immigrants) but no pics, it seemed kinda cool wish it was here today :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

If you go down to Clanbrassil Street/Leonards Corner, a lot of the houses are unchanged.

Just off Leonard's Corner is Victoria Street. This area has loads of old houses from the "Little Jerusalem" era. You'll find Walworth Road here, home of the Irish Jewish Museum (it's housed in an old synagogue). In here you'll find a load of photos.

Oh and, just up the road on Lennox Street is The Bretzel, which is an old Jewish bakery. They do tasty stuff, it's great for bread and croissants etc. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

"Dublin's Little Jerusalem" is a brilliant book and iirc there are loads of old pictures in it, you should try getting your hands on it, say'd they'd stock it in Easons.

"Dublin's Little Jerusalem" is a brilliant book and iirc there are loads of old pictures in it, you should try getting your hands on it, say'd they'd stock it in Easons.
    Yep, hadn't thought of that, they had it in Hodges Figgis on Dawson Street last week anyway.
    They may have it in the museum too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Gav there was a booklet that went around the area recently detailing the history of Clanbrasil St. I got a copy in the door but have mislaid it somewhere. In it there's a short chapter on Little Jerusalem.

Kinda gotta disagree a bit with you there Thusblake. Sure the residences (off the little jerusalem area) are still there and indeed so is the excellent Bretzel but as for little Jerusalem 'proper' well all the buildings are gone. Up unyil the early 80's Lower Clanbrasil St was very narrow and the delapidated buildings were pulled down to accommodte the widening of the road. From Deans St up to Leonards Corner there are very few original buildings. The run of shops and buildings that do remain (left hand side out of town from Antique shop to extravision) as far as I know not many that side were in jewish hands(the chipper and maybe one other being the exception). Also don't be fooled as to the proposed location of Leopold Blooms house on Upr Clanbrasil St. It is in fact thought that Joyce was referring to Lower but this wasn't fully described in Ulysses. But according to Biale (can't spell her name at moment but I refer to the famous shopkeeper the packed up in the 70's) no jewish people resided on Upr Clanbrasil St.

When the booklet go around? Never got one in my door!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

When the booklet go around? Never got one in my door!:confused:

About three weeks ago. It was about 80 pages and looked fairly unproffessional. Like as though it was a local group project idea. I'll dig it up and see where it came from. Peakin the butcher has one in the shop and there's one behind the bar in the Headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

damm you Humber I want to be the only Jew on the block ( he sais as he waves his arms )
    I could be super Jew Or Jewcy !!
    once again you beat me too it I have that booklet somewhere and now I cant think of where I left it. Go to the IJM and im sure theres a copy there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    damm you Humber I want to be the only Jew on the block .

Bloody Jew's "I vant, I vant, I vant"... :P

humberklog wrote: »
    About three weeks ago. It was about 80 pages and looked fairly unproffessional. Like as though it was a local group project idea. I'll dig it up and see where it came from. Peakin the butcher has one in the shop and there's one behind the bar in the Headline.

Never got the booklet into my gaff.:mad: Aw well probably nothing extra than what's in "Dublin's Little Jerusalem", planning on giving it a proper read of the summer after the exams.

humberklog wrote: »

Kinda gotta disagree a bit with you there Thusblake. Sure the residences (off the little jerusalem area) are still there and indeed so is the excellent Bretzel but as for little Jerusalem 'proper' well all the buildings are gone. Up unyil the early 80's Lower Clanbrasil St was very narrow and the delapidated buildings were pulled down to accommodte the widening of the road. From Deans St up to Leonards Corner there are very few original buildings. The run of shops and buildings that do remain (left hand side out of town from Antique shop to extravision) as far as I know not many that side were in jewish hands(the chipper and maybe one other being the exception). Also don't be fooled as to the proposed location of Leopold Blooms house on Upr Clanbrasil St. It is in fact thought that Joyce was referring to Lower but this wasn't fully described in Ulysses. But according to Biale (can't spell her name at moment but I refer to the famous shopkeeper the packed up in the 70's) no jewish people resided on Upr Clanbrasil St.
    Yeah, to be honest I'm talking about the houses in the general victoria street area. Walworth Road, Florence Street, Lennox Street etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement