Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capital Allowances

• 26-05-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

i hope this question is not inappropriate and i am not looking for tax advise but is it possible to just use enough of your capital allowances so as to leave an income that is covered by personal tax credit and pay the 3% prsi ..many thanks
    MV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

as far as I can remember, capital allowances cannot be brought forward if there is income to be offset in the current year. As you are hoping to leave a taxabale income of your credit grossed up, this would mean you are not using all your capital allowances in the current year. Is this correct?

If this is the case, then i dont think it is allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What kind of capital allowances?

Industial buildings say can be offset against any income and usually is 4% over 25 years of the allowable cost.

If they are ordinary capital allowances on plant or machinery or the like it is 12.5% over 8 years. You have to take the full deduction in that year of the appropriate portion or it is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

yes on p & m and quip etc ..thanks a million thats what I thought ..had forgotten since my exams .thanks again mv

Advertisement