Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brotherhood's attitude to biking?

Options
  • 22-05-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

Stereotypical bikers and the Brotherhood seem to have a lot in common; an appreciation of fine beer, partaking of the most important food group (fried), a healthy attitude to the wimmens and a fondness for wearing leather.

Ok, maybe not that last one…..

The main problem I can see the brotherhood having is with all the paraphernalia that comes with biking. Let me explain :

I'm on the verge of declaring myself a fair weather biker. I was out on my bike a couple of weeks ago - it was mid-day, the sun was beating down and with minimal protective equipment on I was quite warm even at what may have been a touch over the speed limit. Since then the bike has been lying idle while the weather seems to change it's mind what to do every five minutes. I was going to bring it to work last Saturday but it was a bit drizzly out. I could have brought the bike to work and been wet, cold and miserable, or I could have jumped in the car, put some tunes on and driven to work in comfort, negotiating bends and roundabouts at a decent speed without being killed.

That's what kills me about biking - the weather in this country. I had to bring the bike to work a lot over the winter - due to my daily driver requiring several life-threatening operations - and discovered a lot about biking in bad weather. Firstly : my water-proofs aren't. This is particularly annoying since the water tends to flow off the tank and pool at my crotch, and I seemed to bump into that cute girl that works next door every time it rained. Secondly : it's freaking cold out there! If the temperature was less than 4 degrees out there just forget about taking the bike. Even if I get all the way to work without encountering ice on the road, the car park will be like a skating ring. Nothing worse than making it all the way there only to end up on my face underneath a smashed bike only yards from the door. And it will be smashed because even if you've dressed up like an Eskimo the biting wind at anything over 40mph will cut through every layer you've spent half the morning putting on, and you'll be too stiff and cold to react.

This is why I think biking may not be for the Brotherhood - I don't think the brothers would hold with spending ten minutes dressing up to barrel to work astride a rocket while battling the elements, then spend ten minutes at your destination striping off all those extra layers.

If I don't get out and start the bike soon the battery will be dead. Should I bring it to work tomorrow, rain or shine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yeah, an engine with a seat on top. :eek:

I'll stick to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Biking to the Brethren is as the Jedi were to Luke Skywalker - it is in our destiny. Something to aspire to, something that is deep within our soul, the very essence of our being.

Is there anything better than a man and his two wheels, out on the open road, the world flowing by, like a river of life?

But the weather. Ah, that old chestnut. Sadly, the environment dictates that not all the Brethren will fulfil their destiny to sit atop a two-wheeled chariot, like Ben Hur in the Colosseum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

brothers are natural for the biking, the stream lined head shows this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Such is the manly stature of the Bethren that a mere bike is not enough.
    The motor trike is the only way a true brother will tear up the highways feeling the wind in the remains of his hair.

Phhwaor at the manliness of the motor trike.

trike.jpg
    boss_hoss_trike_500wide.jpg
    05HDROADKING001.jpg
    burger-trike_460x0w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hmmmmm..
    Well, thats my one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Real men would be out on the motorbike in the lashing rain not even wearing a top...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

DarkJager wrote: »
    Real men would be out on the motorbike in the lashing rain not even wearing a top...

eatin broken glass and sh***ing crystal chandaliers.......eh.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm thinking of gettin one of these next year :

2007_CBR600RR.jpg

Maybe not as quick as it's big brother but just that little bit easier to sqeeze through traffic.

I don't know about trikes. Some of those monsters are impressive machines, but it's a bit like you can't decide between two wheels or four. I'm half thinking of going for something insane. I heard of a guy selling a custom bike with a 4.0L V8.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

2007_CBR600RR.jpg

Maybe not as quick as it's big brother but just that little bit easier to sqeeze through traffic.

I don't know about trikes. Some of those monsters are impressive machines, but it's a bit like you can't decide between two wheels or four. I'm half thinking of going for something insane. I heard of a guy selling a custom bike with a 4.0L V8.....

You could re-enact ET with a bike like that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

And how about a wimmins with a bike??
    I loved mine:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

2007_CBR600RR.jpg

I will be taking delivery of the 'Old Man' version (CBF600SA) of that^ next week.

Not quiet as good looking or fast, but good enough for me. :D

Looby_Loo wrote: »

Looby, you are already hawt.

In black leathers, on a bike - you would be totally irrisestable to the bretheren. :D

I think wimmin bikers are very hawt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

burger-trike_460x0w.jpg
    ^ Isn't that Kharn/Dav? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Looby_Loo wrote: »

One word - hawt.
    burger-trike_460x0w.jpg
    ^ Isn't that Kharn/Dav? :p

It is! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Looks like my secret's out! I love my burger trike :D

I was only thinking today about wanting a bike. My mate Des in Galway (a true BGRH Brother if ever there was one) owned one of these:
    ym50_doc-34-xv650.jpg
    and I would dearly love one of my own. It's a big man's bike. A Brother's bike. One day it will be my bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

The ultimate manly trike? Supercharged Corvette (5.7 litre) engine!! :D

Blown350.jpg

I'm going to go against the grain here.

I hate motorbikes and will never buy one.

So there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Is it because you've never had the joy of the sun on your back, the wind in your hair and all the bugs you can eat? Or just that you couldn't be having with any object that's so high-maintenance?

Is it because you've never had the joy of the sun on your back, the wind in your hair and all the bugs you can eat? Or just that you couldn't be having with any object that's so high-maintenance?
    I'm no stranger to high maintenance objects. *looks around at the wimmins* :D

I've been on many bikes including a Harley Fat Boy (BGRH Bike)
    harley-fatboy.jpg
    The whole biking thing doesn't work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If I won the lotto, I'd be straight on to the Orange County Choppers guys to get them to build me a bike!
    the_occ_original_01.jpg

• Advertisement

:D Will post pics soon, but trust me, this biking malarkey is enjoyable!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Those OCC bikes are way over rated IMHO. Plus the guy's that make them are muppets. I'd definitly have an Exile bike over an OCC:

The Fat Bloke
    fatBloke2.jpg

The Trike
    trike2.jpg

Advertisement