Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a painting on request/ideas?

Options
  • 14-05-2009 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

right so, i have been asked to make a painting of a friend of a colleague who has die rescently.

she wants it done on canvas but all the rest she leaves up to me.

i was thinking of a simple watercolour maybe with some oil pastel features,
    but it seemed best to keep it classic and timeless....

any sugestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

omyatari wrote: »
    she wants it done on canvas but all the rest she leaves up to me.

i was thinking of a simple watercolour maybe with some oil pastel features,
    but it seemed best to keep it classic and timeless....

have you worked with Watercolor Canvas before? I'm not a fan of it as it can be annoying to use as the watercolour comes off the canvas very easy, you can of course fix it but not till the end so you risk taking paint off every time you touch the canvas while working. If your planning on mixing the watercolour with oil pastels on the canvas it might be very frustrating unless it's something you've tired before and found a technique that works for you. The only advantage I've ever seen to watercolour canvas is being able to hang it straight away where as you'd need to mount and frame watercolour paper.

It really should be dependent on what your style of art is, what style/medium do you normally work in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭omyatari

well i dont really have a set medium tbh :) i love trying out new things, if it fails then so be it but i have come across some fun ways of drawing/painting.
    the watercolour/oilpastel is something i have tried before, but only on propper aquarelle paper, i have done differant types of things with canvas before too though. but thanks for the tip on how it reacts on canvas. i will have to keep that in mind now.
    im not too woried about the end result, its more of a, if you draw or paint someone close to you that has died, how would you portrait them ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 eyefordetail

I would start by asking your friend some questions about the person. A sort of brain storming session so to speak. List the things the person was intersted in, faourite colour, flower, place, sport etc. and get some details about the persons personality. I often find that listing things like this help when you are stuck with a blank canvas! One word can lead to an idea and then to another and before you know it you have your painting!

Advertisement