Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG help please!

Options
  • 08-05-2009 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I had AVG 8.0 but the up date manager was being denied. I tried fixing it by checking the connection and repairing it (network connections/high speed/repair).

This didn't work so I upgraded using the free version of AVG 8.5

Now I am not covered for anti-virus/anti-spyware/up date manager?

What do I do now, is AVG no longer free. It is a home computer not a work one.

I am not the best with computers but don't wont to leave my machine vunerable.

Does anyone recommend any other free anti-virus/spyware software?

Thanking you all

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Try comodo. Should do the job.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

ive same problm got the free acg a while back but stopped working it stpped updating etc now its saying i have an infiltration alert and my pc is under a attack from virus's its gone slow etc had been getting advertisements etc for a while now should have acted then.. i tried the avg website and the previous link but anything i go to download it says page cannot be displayed soit could be ****ed now...

can anyone help with this,please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I had the same problem when they released v8. Just got rid and started using avast!.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

had exactly the same problem not too long ago just un installed the avg and went on net and installed avasti as well. no point in wasting the time on avg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

finn28 wrote: »
    had exactly the same problem not too long ago just un installed the avg and went on net and installed avasti as well. no point in wasting the time on avg
    Exactly. Was great until they released v8. I'd say they lost a lot of users after that. I read some awful bad reviews of it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

el_weirdo wrote: »
    Exactly. Was great until they released v8. I'd say they lost a lot of users after that. I read some awful bad reviews of it too.

wouldnt believe the amount of trouble people have experienced since the realise.....no one too impressed with avg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

MarkR wrote: »
    Try comodo. Should do the job.

Link

Thanks MarkR

I downloaded Comodo a few days ago and my Windows Security Alerts are telling me my anti-virus software is out of date.

I know Windows can't detect all anti-virus software, is Comoda one of them?

My internet crashes about once/twice every session. What could be causing this?

Thanking you all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Consider you might have a virus that's disabling your anti-virus, and crashing your browser.... Internet security programs and stuff aren't infallible y'know.

Dartz wrote: »
    Consider you might have a virus that's disabling your anti-virus, and crashing your browser.... Internet security programs and stuff aren't infallible y'know.

I ran a scan with malwarebytes and it found one infected object which was duly put in isolation. Now I downloaded malwarebytes a few weeks ago so I tried to update it but I got the message

'check your internet connection and try again later'

Could it be the firewall that is stopping this?

I have anti-virus with Comodo and the firewall is Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Firewall.

How do I temporarily turn off the firewalls so I can try to update both Comodo and malwarebytes?

Again, it could be the virus blocking it. They're persistant buggers, and I've never had a firewall block an AV product meself, especially Microsoft's Windows Firewall.

Which is really more of a single-bar electric heater wall.

• Advertisement

What should I do?

Try do what it says in the sticky....

Then wait for someone more knowledgeable to come and help you.

I went to the Malwarebytes website and downloaded the 1.36 version.

I ran the full scan and it found 7 elements of malware. These were removed and deleted.

I checked the 'I think I have a virus' sticky and tried to run The Comedian.

When I did this Comodo detected a trojan virus and when it was removed The Comedian had to be shut down and error report sent to Microsoft?

I downloaded Superantispyware and I scanned my computer. This found 12 items. As below.

Should I complete the next steps in the virus sticky or could it be the settings or firewall (microsoft/firefox) that is not allowing Comodo to update its virus protection?

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
    http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 05/18/2009 at 05:08 AM

Application Version : 4.26.1002

Core Rules Database Version : 3897
    Trace Rules Database Version: 1844

Scan type : Complete Scan
    Total Scan Time : 01:09:49

Memory items scanned : 455
    Memory threats detected : 0
    Registry items scanned : 5617
    Registry threats detected : 10
    File items scanned : 79517
    File threats detected : 2

Trojan.FakeAlert-IEBT
    HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}
    HKCR\CLSID\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}
    HKCR\CLSID\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}\InprocServer32
    HKCR\CLSID\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}\InprocServer32#ThreadingModel
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\APPLICATIONS\IEBT.DLL
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1018480656-3294640456-2425142081-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}
    HKU\S-1-5-21-1018480656-3294640456-2425142081-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3BEBF2FE-7248-40E2-9752-8163EB6C4038}
    HKCR\CLSID\{0BD44AB1-76A7-4E05-92F4-4B065FE72BD6}

Spyware.WebSearch (WinTools/HuntBar)
    HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183}
    HKU\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{87766247-311C-43B4-8499-3D5FEC94A183}

Adware.Media-Codec/ZLob
    C:\Program Files\Applications

To recap:

Comodo is primary anti-virus, couldn't get it to update. I just got the message 'failed to connect to database, please try later and check internet connection blah blah' Further to this computer and internet would separately crash on me.

So, I went to Malwarebytes (secondary line of defence) website to upgrade to the 1.36 edition and it scanned the computer where 7 articles were removed and deleted. I couldn't upgrade my MBAM from my existing one I had to go to the website.

I they tried The_Comedian but Comodo popped up and thought it was a type of Trojan virus? I still have T_C on my desktop, should I delete it?

I then used ATF-Cleaner to free up some space. I have Microsoft automatic updates to update at 10 am every day.

I then downloaded and scanned with SUPERAntiSpyware. Results are above.

I still can't upgrade my Comodo virus protection!

Thank you if you manage to get this far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Sounds like you've got a couple of nasties, try reverting back to a known good registry (before problems started) and updating windows fully before reinstalling anti-virus s/w.
    Manual steps to restore the registry in Windows Vista or Windows XP

Use System Restore to undo registry changes in Windows Vista or in Windows XP

Windows Vista

VistaStartButton.jpg
    , type systempropertiesprotection in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

SecurityShield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    [*]In the System Properties dialog box, on the System Protection tab, click System Restore,
    [*]In the System Restore dialog box select Choose a different restore point, and then click Next
    [*]Select the restore point that you want to use, and then click Next.
    [*]Confirm your restore point, and then click Finish System restore restores the selected Windows Vista configuration and then restarts the computer.
    [*]Log on to the computer. When the System Restore confirmation page appears, click OK..
    [/LIST]If all else fails reinstall windows! It's almost always quicker than hunting nasties. How's your backup situation?

Thank you for replying Docmol.

I am not the best with computers so I don't understand what you mean by registry, do you mean the original anti-virus software which was AVG. How do I restore the registry?, I don't know what the backup situation is like on this computer.

I'm on Windows XP on a Dell Dimension 4600.

Hi Dr Evil, those instructions were for Vista I'll repost for XP
    The registry is a big database in windows that stores basically all the info windows needs to run on your pc. It is also the target of almost every virus. Windows backs the registry up fairly often (depending on the size of your hdd and some settings), so I suggest you restore a registry version from before you caught the virus. To do this:
    Start in Safe Mode (press F8 when the computer is booting, just before windows logo appears, and pick "safe mode". This means no sound/network/nice graphics. That's normal:))
    1. Click Start, and then click All Programs.
    2. Click Accessories, and then click System Tools.
    3. Click System Restore, and then click Restore to a previous RestorePoint.
    4. Pick a date from before you got into trouble and restore.
    You will then need to restart the computer
    Then go to windows update and update everything.
    Then reinstall your av software and do a complete scan.

PS any software you installed after the backup will probably not work, you will need to reinstall it (but you shouldn't lose any data)

Hope this helps

Got to safe mode and a window came up on the screen for system restart so I didn't have to go via start button etc.

Tried four times to restore to previous point. Each time I chose a different date and each time got the box saying 'cannot restore systems to this point'

So, the computer goes back to normal and I attempt to upgrade Comodo, which does work. It takes a few minutes to download but now I'm still getting the virus defence out of date message. I run a scan and 16 threats are found and deleted.

The version on the 'about Comodo antivirus' is 3.9.95478.509 while the one on the Comodo website is 3.9.81003.508 which was released on the 14th of May. On my computer it still states the last download as being on the 13th of May.

About to lose my mind!

I will restart the computer to see if the supposed new version kicks.

Would I be better off to remove Comodo and go with something like avast!

Hi DrEvil, sorry to here you are still having problems, the thing about the system not restoring is a bit weird, maybe your backups are corrupt? To be honest, at this stage, I would have lost all patience and done a wipe/reinstall of windows. I know it is a bit drastic but it is a guaranteed fix in a reasonable amount of time. I don't know which way you have your pc setup and what info you haven't backed up and what software you don't have original disks for etc, so I don't know how much hassle that will cause you. If you do decide to go down that route I strongly recommend partitioning your hdd and keeping an image of the boot partition on the D drive. With luck you can get your windows instalation and your most used s/w on a single dvd and make life really easy the next time things go tits-up! As for comodo, I don't really use a lot of anti-virus s/w and am not really familliar with that brand. I do know some nasties don't allow you to upgrade your antivirus s/w to a version that can detect them (conflicker worm) but they usually won't even allow you on the good a/v sites.
    Can you follow this link?
    http://www.symantec.com/index.jsp
    If so, you can probably rule out conflicker.
    Also, some dells come with a system restore partition, allowing you to reinstall without discs. This brings the system back to how it was when it left the factory (you lose all your data/sw and gain all that horrible dell bloatware:() It is a starting point however. If you don't have a dvd burner for backing up that would be very high on my shopping list!(€25)
    If you decide to reinstall, post back, and I'll give you a few hints and tips (I've reinstalled thousands of os's, the joys of being a techie 20 years)
    PS I just looked up the manual for your pc on dells website, here's the link to their way of restoring system (page 46).
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/OM/G72790LRs.pdf
    They give 2 options, try the first (similar to what I suggested but not in safe mode). Be aware that doing the symantec thing (second option) will lose you all your data/network settings/software
    Beat of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement