Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper chipper chips (and fish!)

Options
  • 05-05-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how many calories are in a bag of chips. I mean proper chipper chips - Macari and the like. I suppose they are thicker than maccie-ds french fries, so they won't absorb as much oil for the same weight. But still!

I wonder what the real damage is for a one'n'one!? I err on the side of caution and reckon it's over 2000.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I reckon the portion sizes probably vary widely from shop to shop (though it must be ten years since i have had a take away so maybe it's changed! lol) so it would be impossible to even guesstimate without weighing the bag really. I'd give it a stab at 1,000 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

My husband had one last night (I resisted... it TOOK a lot of will!) And I'd say between the white bag & the huge shovel again on top, there were at least 3 or 4 spuds worth of chips. I should have weighed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

olaola wrote: »
    I should have weighed it!
    Do. I did before on this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055209321

The chips from that chinese were 520g, so I reckoned about 1300kcal for the chips alone, it is a big portion. This is estimating 250kcal per 100g, if you go to the supermarket you can find similar items to check out. Think I got mine from a mc cains site for thick cut fried chips.

Look at deep fried values on fish too, and bear in mind the portions in the chipper are also far bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chopley

olaola wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many calories are in a bag of chips. I mean proper chipper chips

The food database at weightlossresources.co.uk quotes 239 calories (on average) per 100g for deep-fried chip shop chips. A chip shop battered fish is (on average) good for 232 cals per 100g. You'll need to weigh the food to work out the per-portion value, but it doesn't look good... ;)

The true calorie count will be affected by the type of oil used, the frying temperature, the particular type of potato and fish used, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I would say there was at least 400g of chips, if not 500. And the fish was quite big too. I suppose removing the batter would prob remove about 300 calories, but sure if I wanted regular fish, I'd cook it myself. I would always have in the back of my mind that this was all of my calories for the day (at least!!) in one sitting. Not that I eat it that much - well not as much as my greedy self would like! Will weigh them next time and see!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement