Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Novices / Sub 4:30 Mentored thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done to all, I probably won't pop into all your logs but hope you all had a blast and are really, really proud of yourselves today.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I really have the utmost respect for everyone who is sharing their stories of horror and struggle today. (yeah that includes you Sub430... what a marathon you ran). I feel like I got off light. :) The main theme here seems to be that NO ONE GAVE UP. Bloody brilliant.

Yeah, Im up for 3.45 next year. Bring it. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

@sub430, brilliant report mate, congrats and a great time, 12 mins inside your goal, fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sub 4:30 great report. Your experience sounds just like mine and your time quite similar, my slowest mile was 15:30, twas the mile from foster av, along the N11 and up the UCD flyover, was that yours??. I actually contemplated hopping on a 46a at that point, I had no money, but was thinking the driver would probably let me on given the state of me :rolleyes:

Anyway. I am feeling better at this today. Looking forward to lots of pb's in 5-10k races next year, may even attempt a half marathon too.....maybe there will be a maraton again some time in the future, I just know that I will have to be a lot fitter come that time and put in a lot more long LSR's. As Mr Marenghi said HH novice plan is great for beginners to get them acorss the line but for real good times we need to be doing 3 x 20 mile lsrs minimum (but I don't feel like doing that right now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Sub430 wrote: »

I don't know if I hit the wall, no elephant fell on me but I think someone was throwing bricks at me, some I dodged, some hit home. The first one to connect sweetly was around 19.5 miles when my right leg stopped working, for a while it felt like it was going to sleep but then it just stopped, some other runner had stolen my leg and given me his. It was leaden, I tried to run but the toes of my right shoe were just dragging off the ground. Of course then the mind started again, "oh here it is, here's Mr Wall, it's gonna spread to your left leg soon and you'll have to crawl the rest of the way". This was my first time to stop, I stretched, massaged (punched) my leg and then hobbled a la Kaiser Soze to the UCD gates. Here the real madness began:

Well done SUB430, I felt that I didn't suddenly hit a wall either, just gradually seemed to get harder and harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sub 4:30 great report. Your experience sounds just like mine and your time quite similar, my slowest mile was 15:30, twas the mile from foster av, along the N11 and up the UCD flyover, was that yours??. I actually contemplated hopping on a 46a at that point, I had no money, but was thinking the driver would probably let me on given the state of me :rolleyes:

I think we had a very similar race. My worst mile was the one up to Fosters Avenue so your pain peaked just after mine.

The bus also crossed my mind - the "hopping on" would have proven impossible though ;)

Great run by the way, again pure doggedness seemed to get a lot of us through. Shorter stuff for the next while for me also. Good luck with it all comrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭goofygirl

Wow, well done everyone on coming through some extremely tough runs on the day. Just thinking about it - this thread is the perfect microcosm of the DCM at large. The highs, the lows, the even lower lows, and the just-when-you-thought-it-couldn't-get-any-worse uber-low. The injuries, the self-doubt, the camaraderie, the encouragement. And of course the finish line.

goofygirl wrote: »
    Wow, well done everyone on coming through some extremely tough runs on the day. Just thinking about it - this thread is the perfect microcosm of the DCM at large. The highs, the lows, the even lower lows, and the just-when-you-thought-it-couldn't-get-any-worse uber-low. The injuries, the self-doubt, the camaraderie, the encouragement. And of course the finish line.
    Its the first event where I wore the medal afterwards. Id earned it. :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oryx wrote: »
    Its the first event where I wore the medal afterwards. Id earned it. :D

I wore my finisher's t-shirt into college today. Just as a little warning to people that I would be walking like a 90 year old... I'm still in shock that I actually did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Easily my greatest achievement thus far!:D I thought it as a perfect day in every way, weather, crowds, route, CROWDS were all fantastic!

I pretty much stalked this thread for the last 4 months, was aiming for sub4:30 until sept 12th when i did some pretty bad ligament damage to my ankle then switched to sub 5...finished 5:04:p ( just means i can easily get a PB for my next one!)

Just like to thank everyone for the advice and contribution they've given on here, its great to know that so many people are having the same problems/victories as you! (I would especially like to thank Oryx for the little pep talk we had at the start line when i was freaking out! :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Hiya poppy! Was a lovely coincidence to meet ya. You did brill to go from crutches to a 5.04. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

Excellent report Sub430. Loved it!

I can echo a lot of what you said.

Thrilled, delighted, chuffed (that sounds a stupid word....) to have completed the marathon.

Wearing my medal with pride today as I hobble around the house....:D

WELL DONE to everyone who completed the marathon yesterday.

THANKS TO THE GREAT SUPPORT FROM THE CROWDS TOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well, how proud are you all of yourselves?!

You did a blinding job. Each and every one of you. I know some of you are annoyed at missing targets but put it in context. All of you ran fantastic races, you all fought your own personal demons and came through the other side. You all now know what it takes to run a marathon and have a goal to aim at next time (and there will be a next time ;)). It was great to meet a few of you afterwards.

So big pat on the back!

And a huge thank you for the Wiggle voucher - there was no need for that but it was really appreciated. So cheers from a humbled and grateful mentor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Well that was a piece of p1ss, wasn't it?

--- In hindsight :) -- Like you I had the same experience my legs elt like I was stabbed
    18 weeks ago I could barely run 6 miles. Yesterday I ran a marathon.

Thats an awesome feeling. I remember being in Italy June 4 (I think that was the date) and going for a 5k run with a friend. It ended up being a 10k run, then my longest run ever and yesterday we both (my friend and I) completed the marathon... Feels Awesome.

I guarantee you'll have a good week -- well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done to everyone. Some fantastic achievements from the Allstars! Have really enjoyed reading all the race reports. Im sooo sore still its awful but I have to suck it up and go back to work today. Feels weird to have to return to normal life again.

And a huge thank you for the Wiggle voucher - there was no need for that but it was really appreciated. So cheers from a humbled and grateful mentor!

It was the least we could do, now use it to buy something that will help you break three hours and think of us as you cross the line!
    Thanks again boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Just finished...no seriously though,

Had a great day, stayed with the sub 4.30 balloons till 14 miles when I just had to stop as I was a bit dizzy (maybe the sun was getting to me a bit!) walked for 1.5 miles and really felt good from 16 miles to 19 miles.

The run down Milltown towards Clonskeagh for me was boring and tough but once we got over the fly over it was great.

My pace was down to a crawl as I had sporadic cramping in both legs but I kept going except to stretch them out, I missed 2/3 weeks of training and it was catching me up now.

Finally got back to the city and I really enjoyed the buzz and the crowds. No sign of the WALL as such, passed my wife and kid at 26 miles and I sprinted home in 4.50. Time was not an issue for me at all, finishing was the goal.
    Loved the whole experience, that cheese sandwich went down a treat from SPAR!

Well done everyone, Monday 26th October will live forever in my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Tough guys and gals here. Well done everyone, really enjoyed the reports.

The last one of these!

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles Training|Target | Actual | Comments
    Sub430|||||
    Rainbow|||||
    Mr Marenghi|||||
    osnola ivax|||||
    Bally8|||||
    Goofygirl|||||
    Buck65|||||
    menoscemo|||||

Wow. I have to say that I wasn't quite sure what to expect coming into this whole mentor thing. To be honest I wasn't even sure that there would be enough interest in it to sustain it. The camraderie and team spirit that has built up on here over the last few months has been brilliant. I really mean it when I say it has been a privlidge to be a part of this and I hope that you guys enjoyed the process a fraction as much as I did.

Thank you for being ballsy enough to put your training and feelings out there for everyone to see and dumb enough to trust me. Thanks for the voucher - which was brilliant if undeserved. And well done on your achievment, each and every one of you (even you lurkers who read and never even said Hello! :p)

So last little bit of advice from me:

Post Race

How you recover from this race will to an extent determine how well you run in both the near and mid future. You have reached an absolute peak of fitness and you have some choices to make, a balancing act between exploting that fitness to PB at shorter distances and pushing your body past breaking point.

The orthodoxy is to rest for 1 day per mile raced. That's pretty much a month of not much, but remember rest <> feet up munching chocs! (Bally8 I'm looking at you in particular!) Leave it a week and then maybe do a few gentle walks, swim, go for a bike ride. by the 3rd week of recovery you should be recovered enough to go for a few easy and gentle runs - nothing fast, no speed sessions or too long. And start looking for races in the 5 - 10k range near to you. Your residual fitness should be good for a couple of PBs this side of Xmas.

Do keep an eye on food - your calorie expenditure has gone through the floor but the temptation is to keep eating as if you are training hard (I gain about a stone between training cycles :o). Keep the food good and the quality high.

And start thinking about next year - what goals do you have? I work to a 3 race cycle these days which is 18 months in advance. That gives me the chance to structure things and take a longer term view. In 18 months where do you all want to be? How many marathons completed? Sub 4? Sub 3:45? Sub 3:30? Maybe a tri? Maybe an Ultra? Maybe an adventure race? Use the easy weeks to make those plans.

But whatever you do pick something and train for it. Don't let the fitness ebb away or you may never get there again.

And that folks is that - I'm all mentored out! You are all now experienced marathon runners so spread your knowledge, spread what you know. Encourage other people and help them along. It's up to you guys to be mentors now.

--amadeus--, Even though I slipped out and only was an allstar by default, your advice has been invaluable. Particularly the pep talks in taper week. I carried those words all the way.

I saw the black balloons, and I tried, but never could catch up with you on the day to say hello. But next time, eh?

Thank you, thank you, a million times, thank you for all youve done in the past six months. :D

• Advertisement

The last one of these!

Wow. I have to say that I wasn't quite sure what to expect coming into this whole mentor thing. To be honest I wasn't even sure that there would be enough interest in it to sustain it. The camraderie and team spirit that has built up on here over the last few months has been brilliant. I really mean it when I say it has been a privlidge to be a part of this and I hope that you guys enjoyed the process a fraction as much as I did.

Thank you for being ballsy enough to put your training and feelings out there for everyone to see and dumb enough to trust me. Thanks for the voucher - which was brilliant if undeserved. And well done on your achievment, each and every one of you (even you lurkers who read and never even said Hello! :p)

I'm going to have to man up, got a bit emotional reading that ffs. :o:)

The orthodoxy is to rest for 1 day per mile raced. That's pretty much a month of not much, but remember rest <> feet up munching chocs! (Bally8 I'm looking at you in particular!)

Ha ha I let a squeal out of me reading this- do you have a camera set up in my house? I was actally eating a twirl and a bag of crisps as I flicked through the forum. Spooky!....or else it just very obvious how bold I am on the eating front:D

Also I dont think I can ever put into words how much I appreciate all the effort you put into mentoring us Amadeus. I am actually very sad right now thinking about how much I will miss the comradery (totally spelt wrong) of this thread. Wish it could go on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

But whatever you do pick something and train for it. Don't let the fitness ebb away or you may never get there again.

Great advice as ever -A-. This has been my dilemia over the last few days - I'm sorry the journey is over (like bally8, I'm also quite sad). Now I really want to get some new goals but don't know where to start, is it best to aim for some 5-10K races or maybe the half in Waterford? Would you need to do a training plan for the shorter races with an emphisis on increasing pace? Would you recommend joining a club? Soory for all the questions.

Like all others on this thread I would like to thank you very much for your help, I was a late comer to thread but it was the single biggest help to me. I made sooooo many mistakes at first and had some injury woos but really feel I'm now in the shape of my life and want to keep things going, I ended up running 4:21 even though I nearly pulled out on Saturday as my knee has been sore but after a chat with a physio at the expo I decided to run as my knee problems are not serious and have been cause by 'imbalances in my muscles' caused by going from doing hardly any exersise to doing 40 mile a week running. Sorry I didn't get a chance to thank you in person (those big black baloons were always on the horizon for me) but hope to be able to buy you that pint I owe you at some stage in the future!

Anyone for the Jingle Bells 5k? :D

+1'ing everything Oryx, and everyone else, has said. I think a lot of the emotion has just hit today, have got teary-eyed thinking about things more than once! You wouldn't believe right now too just how much I'm itching to get back running...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Really suffering with post marathon blues if I'm honest. My head is all over the place. I don't want to stop training but I know I have to rest for 3 - 4 weeks and it's wrecking my head.

Has to be done though, I'll start slowly again from start of december I think so no more racing for me until well into the new year, think there may be a 10k in enniscorthy in February, I'll go for that, then the Wexford half and then DCM again and the race series. I'll have to organize my self properly though cause this is my degree year, I actually don't know if I'll be able to train as much at all. That's whats really wrecking my head. I have to improve diet aswell in a big way, maybe lose another 1/2 stone or that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

First time with internet access after the race.

The race seemed to be a better organised and supported race this year, there was only a slight bottle neck at the first right turn. From the comments it seems most got the targets. Was anybody else shocked by the size of the balloons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just catching up here now. Another great post Amadeus. Yesterday I went back to work after taking tuesday off to recover, I felt like I had a massive hangover, like the kind you get when you have been on a 6 week holiday and then get back to the real world. Basically I was down because I felt like I had no goal anymore, but I don't want to go back to doing nothing and getting fat. I only got into running this year as a total noob as a way of helping me stop smoking and set the marathon as a goal before ever having ran a race (or even a mile on a road for that matter).

Anyway after some great advice from Tergat on the main forum I will definately be keeping up the running and immediate targets are the jingle bells 5k and the aware 10k in December (RK, see you there!!). Hopefully I can set down a decent PB over each distance and then aim to smash them in the new year. I must be crazy but maybe if all goes well there might be another marathon next october, maybe I can do it right and really get under 4hrs then. (did I really say never again? :p)

Anyway thanks again Amadeus for all your time and dedication to us and to all the Allstars for being a great support throughout training.

BTW Amadeus did you get my PM?

menoscemo wrote: »
    BTW Amadeus did you get my PM?

Received and replied :D

• Advertisement

Just saw my thumbnails on MarathonFoto, I look either stoned or obese in all of them... :mad:

Advertisement