Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you listen to today?

Options
  • 24-04-2009 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

What album/song you listening to today? And if you would like to write a quick review for it that would be cool.
    (No repetition please, or we will get Illmatic like 50-60 times.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

So far today I've listened to KRS-1, "The Sneak Attack", not really worthy of review, its fairly poor by early KRS/BDP standards.

THen listened to Lauryn Hills "Miseducation...." which is an awesome album, superb balance of Soulful music and Hip-hop. She really is an underrated MC! Lots of depth to the lyrics in the songs, definitely worth adding to someones collection, as I'd say its probably overlooked by most Hip-Hop fans.

Next on the list will be "T.I.M.E" by Leaders of the New School. Its the group Busta started out with. Only onto 2nd track, haven't listened to it in quite a while, but from what I remember its a pretty it has a nice early 90s vibe to it.

(the observant among you may notice that they are in alphabetical order, I'm working my way through my whole collection at the moment on the mp3 player)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Listened to a few Wiz Khalifa and Jay Electronica tracks this m orning, two of the better young Hip-Hop artists around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Jay Electronica, La Coka Nostra, Raekwon (new track Staten/we go hard is fire). And some other random stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I just bought Ras Kass - Soul on Ice the other day on iTunes.

Have been meaning to get this album for a while. While the beats are meant to be somewhat underwhelming, the lyricsm is legendary, so i thought it would be worth a few spins.

Haven't gotten a chance to really listen to it yet, but quietly impressed by what i've heard so far. A few good tracks, and the lyrics are ridiculous. Ras Kass is truly one of the greatest lyricist of all time. Apparently there's an old bootleg version of this with a couple of different tracks and different pattern which was meant to blow illmatic to bits. I don't know why it was never released.

Obvioulsy, Nature of the Threat is the best known song - a scathing 7 minute scathing history of western civilization, which is IMO one of the greatest hip-hop sings of all time (and the primary reason why i downloaded)!. It really should be taught in schools, be it in english or history class.

There's some other good tracks on there too. the lyricism is great, complex rhymes, deep intellectual subject matter, witty punchlines, scathing social commentary,all with a west coast gangstsa swag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Gucci Mane - Jewerly

****kk what a song....definely download it people u mighent of heard of him but if u listen to a few of his top songs i guarantee ull rember his name for ever

The Cool Kids - Black Mags

maddd beats...turn the bass up:eek:

• Advertisement

No, as I've saif before, there's nothing cool about the cool kids!

Giucci Mane is abysomal too.

Up your taste game son becauce right now you looking like an MTV whore!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah, so there's absolutely no need for the last line in your post there Seaneh.

Currently I'm rediscovering Ice Cube in a big way. Everything from N.W.A. to Raw Footage.

Makaveli wrote: »
    Yeah, so there's absolutely no need for the last line in your post there Seaneh.

Currently I'm rediscovering Ice Cube in a big way. Everything from N.W.A. to Raw Footage.

Going through something similar myself, although having trouble with my copies of Amerikkka's most and death certficiate. I love the angry ice cube - good to have him back on the last two albums.

Listening to the following a lot lately

A Bird in the Hand
    Alive on Arrival
    Steady Mobbin
    What the Hitting Foe
    You Can't Fade Me
    I'm Only Out for One Thing
    The Nigga You Love to Hate
    Bow Down
    Late Night Hour
    I Got My Locs On
    Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It
    Pressure (Killer Mike f/ Ice Cube)

Seaneh wrote: »

Leave it out please.

floggg wrote: »
    I just bought Ras Kass - Soul on Ice the other day on iTunes.

Have been meaning to get this album for a while. While the beats are meant to be somewhat underwhelming, the lyricsm is legendary, so i thought it would be worth a few spins.

Haven't gotten a chance to really listen to it yet, but quietly impressed by what i've heard so far. A few good tracks, and the lyrics are ridiculous. Ras Kass is truly one of the greatest lyricist of all time. Apparently there's an old bootleg version of this with a couple of different tracks and different pattern which was meant to blow illmatic to bits. I don't know why it was never released.

Obvioulsy, Nature of the Threat is the best known song - a scathing 7 minute scathing history of western civilization, which is IMO one of the greatest hip-hop sings of all time (and the primary reason why i downloaded)!. It really should be taught in schools, be it in english or history class.

There's some other good tracks on there too. the lyricism is great, complex rhymes, deep intellectual subject matter, witty punchlines, scathing social commentary,all with a west coast gangstsa swag!

As an example of historical horse**** you mean? The bulk of the track is paranoid and absurd gibberish.

• Advertisement

Examples please? Vast majority of track is more or less historically accurate. Sure, there are some inaccuracies - the moors were from north africa not turkey/iraq, and obviously michaelangelo wasn't around for the nicean creed, but i'm putting that down to poetic licence rather than ignorance. And i don't buy into that aids is man made stuff, but i don't have to agree with the man's politics to give him props.

how many here can say the agree with everything chuck d, dead prez, or even ice cube or nas say on the make, but their still adored.

You may not agree with his politics or his angry black male attitude, but you have to respect the work. Think of the amount of care, research and passion went into that song. That's what's missing from far to many Rappers today.

ps, what's your stance on interview with a vampire then?

I'll have to go back and listen to Soul On Ice again, but the fact we both agree their is some blatant historical inaccuracies surely means that it shouldn't be taught in schools? :p

Anyway, I can't say I enjoyed the song, its length and content bored me to tears.

Orizio wrote: »
    I'll have to go back and listen to Soul On Ice again, but the fact we both agree their is some blatant historical inaccuracies surely means that it shouldn't be taught in schools? :p

Anyway, I can't say I enjoyed the song, its length and content bored me to tears.

Well that was a bit of an overstatement obviously, but i didn't think anybody would take it literally. I mean, they're not really add an explicit rap song to the Cirriculum, are they?

as i said though, its more a case of poetic licence than blatant inaccuracies. The moors still did Conquer the Iberian peninsula, the pope did declare holy war to retake it, and the spanish inquisition did attempt to purge all islamic and moorish culture from spain. Jesus wasn't blonde and blue eyed, but the guys in michaelangelo didnt paint him like your typical palestinian, did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

mtv whore?em sorry gucci mane or the cool kids have never appeared on mtv before u fool...their music is the future of hip hop so get used to it

Drop it. Further personal insults will result in bannings.

You're right actually, I posted it after about 5 pints (don't normally get drunk) and to be honest it was probably the stupidst thing I've ever posted on boards.ie and I'd almost report myself for it!

Comment retracted, sorry to the person I quoted, everyone has different taste and I have no right to say that someone's taste in music is crap*.

*Unless they like 50Cent/Ja Rule/Scott Storch beats!

marko91 wrote: »
    mtv whore?em sorry gucci mane or the cool kids have never appeared on mtv before u fool...their music is the future of hip hop so get used to it

I've seen The Cool Kids played on MTV1 and Gucci played on base hundreds of times.

As for the future of Hiphop I'd be more inclined to believe that would be Charles Hammilton, Wal-e, Kid Cudi and even Asher Roth (Asleep in the Bread Aisle is a very good album for a 21 year old to release!).

At the Buck 65 gig in The Rosin Dubh last night he played some early, early, early Cube stuff, was absolutely cat, like some wack LA version of the beastie boys with amature beats and bad timing!

He also played a song from Brian Wilson's hiphop recordings (I sh1t you not) which included the line "My name is Brian and I'm the man".

Solid Gold stuff, couldn't make that stuff up!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 3rdman

As for the future of Hiphop I'd be more inclined to believe that would be Charles Hammilton, Wal-e, Kid Cudi and even Asher Roth (Asleep in the Bread Aisle is a very good album for a 21 year old to release!).

Yeah, I've only listened to Asleep in the Bread Aisle today. It's an impressive album. Really shows his clever word play on Lark and his reference points on are unique (mario kart, miss muffet). Like the soulful hooks on As I Em and Fallin' & to be honest I even like the one we're not supposed to like (I Love College). Can't see how Perfectionist didn't make the album tho. Heard it last week. Apparently it's included on the itunes version.

I've seen The Cool Kids played on MTV1 and Gucci played on base hundreds of times.

Christ I hope not. At least the likes of Gucci Mane and OJ Da Juiceman have singlehandedly built up big grassroots bases and have their own sound, unlike hype artists (Asher Roth for example) who are just as bad as rapping and much less innovative.

Jay Electronica is a much better young MC for a start. Or Invincible.

Today, listened to the Big Tone, Curren$y and Blame One albums, all well worth a look.

• Advertisement

Jay's hardly in the same class as the others, he's 10 years older than them (born in 77)! I did love the Style Wars EP though.

Roth does have a lot of hype around him and hes not the best rapper ever but the album is very listenable and well worthy of praise. Charles Hammiltons cinematic Haalucinations mixtape last year was one of the best concept albums I've heard in years and when you consider his age (turned 21 in november) it's a very good sign.

Yeah Nas made illmatic at 19, but very very few rappers have made anything worth mentioning at that age and people like Hamilton, Kudi, Roth etc should be encouraged and welcomed rather than written off as "hype" or "a gimmick" in roths case, they are damned good MC's, their flow is as good if not better than most and lyrically they are pretty strong and will grow.

Fine if you want to encourage them, but really the people you listed are very very mediocre MCs, even by todays poor standards. There is better MCs out there and I'd be very suprised if we are still talking about Asher Roth this time next year - he is very unoriginal imo, a bit of a fake, and there are at least a doxen albums superior to his released so far this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

'The Platform' by Dilated Peoples. Good mellow Sunday afternoon grooves, scratches and samples. Still sounds great 9 years on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I started off today listening to DOOM's new album, not gonna review as there are plenty of other threads floating about with references. The only reason i put it on was because it is all i could find in the car amongst all the Radiohead, QOSTA and the what not that the ball n chain left lying around the car.
    Also listened to Doug-E-Fresh's Oh My God, classic album, one of them that you know all the beats and lyrics to because they have been sampled so much.
    Moved on to All Natural Elements after that, this album is seriuosly good. I wasn't overly impressed with Capital D's solo stuff before this was released but recornding with Tone B brings out the best in him.
    Listened to some Organised Konfusion, Noah 23, Tribe Called Quest.

I also got pissed off because i wanted to listen to some Geto Boys after talking about the movie Office Space....couldnt find any on me computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

I'm a huge Nas fan... So I got Main Source - Breaking Atoms from a friend... Listening to it now.
    It has a nice smooth feel like most of the alternative rap to come out of New York in the Early 90s. However the lyrics are certainly West-Coast influenced, but maintain a quality that is comparable to De La Soul and A Tribe Called Quest. Definitely worth listen, a very, very cool album.

Had a listen to a couple of old LL Cool J albums yesterday & today, fairly hit & miss stuff, but when he was on form he released some great music

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Micranots - Emporer and the Assassin: This is a few years old now, wasnt really into it then but i guess i've matured and i think this album is great. I Self Devine is top notch lyrically and the production from Kool Akiem is ace.

Mr. Lif - I heard it today: This album is excellent, i'm not one for listening for poilitcally motivated music but this seems to fit. From the opening line on the album "So we all supposed to trust the government now that it's got a friendlier face" I got the impression that i'll be listening to someone preaching to me but was suprised that was not the case. Props to Lif for that and if you are reading (hehe lif on boards) apologies for doubting! Some good cutting on the album too, excellent production.

BushWackAss - how real isreal - album from '94, dope, nuff said.

WillieISZ - Georgiavani Sampler - Not the full album but 7 or 8 songs off it. This is Kudjo Goodie from Goodie Mobs new album with a producer called JJ. Not sure how i feel about this yet, it doesn't sound like i expected it to sound so i think that has thrown me on this. Gonna listen to it again later.

Not an album, but listening to a wu-tang mix on the pod at the mo, from enter the wu, OBFCL and liquid swords, through all the group albums, all ghostface albums to the new(est) Mef to 8 diagrams.

Fugees - The Score just came on my winamp, haven't listened to this album in ages.

Ish is classic.

• Advertisement

some ludacris & Lupe Fiasco on the menu so far today

Advertisement