Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Framing original art

Options
  • 22-04-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Any ideas on where's the best place to get work framed around Dublin?

I had a bit of a trawl through some old threads and a framer on Capel street kept coming up. However I was unable to find it last Saturday. Not sure if it's still there and I can't find any info online.

I was on to creative framing but unfortunately they don't stock UV resistant glass. - This is a must as most of the work is colour & I'd be interested in having some animation cels framed too. Which would be absolutely destroyed by sunlight.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was on to creative framing but unfortunately they don't stock UV resistant glass. - This is a must as most of the work is colour & I'd be interested in having some animation cels framed too. Which would be absolutely destroyed by sunlight.

It's debatable if the UV resistant glass is worth the extra cash. Check this page for a test of the glass vs normal glass. Fading depends more on how old the work is and were you place it. Newer work doesn't fade as much as modern inks and paper contain little to no acid and are more colourfast and less likely to fade. Same with animation cells, older cells are more likely to have paint chip and for cracks to appear but newer ones [anything post 1960 really] are pretty hard wearing. As long as the mounting board used in framing is acid free and you don't place the piece in direct sunlight you will reduce the amount of fading.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Cheers for that. Very interesting read.

The work I'm looking to have framed initially is some original comic art. They're all either heavy acrylics or ink on paper. Therefore going by that article it would seem that I'd be better off just going with normal glass and choosing where I hang carefully.

The cels on the other hand... I've seen way too many examples trace lines disappearing with minimum light exposure to be comfortable about hanging without any protection from light. Although looking at some of those after pictures, I might just keep them stored away for good.

If you don't mine me picking your brain some more - know of any good framing shops around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you don't mine me picking your brain some more - know of any good framing shops around Dublin?

Fraid not, I can rec a really great one in Kilkenny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

got some good stuff off a framer in crumlin , works from home katatoma@dublin.ie , i think was his email address

Advertisement