Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leathercraft supplies?

Options
  • 19-04-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

I am an adult-ed teacher and I am trying to set up a leathercraft course in my school. The aim is to learn about leathercraft and develop design, creative and manual skill and to be able to make such artefacts as wallets, keyfobs, bookmarks, coasters, picture frames and various other creative pieces in leather.

I am trying (without luck so far :( ) to find a supplier for both the leather and the tools to work it. I will need punches, stamps, cutters, dyes etc etc.

Has anyone got any ideas about where I might find such items in Ireland?

(praying for some good leads) ;)

trev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i have used leprevo for a lot of stuff. http://www.leprevo.co.uk/
    not in ireland, so probably not a whole load of good to you, as i am guessing you will need invoices and what not so the school can pay for it, or something like that?
    another option i would try is to contact a REAL cobbler/shoe repair place. if in dublin, i would recomend Cleggs in rathmines. its on its fourth generation of cobblers and current owner/cobbler (william) is a very sound guy. call in and chat to him. he may have some good leads.

apart from that i dont know much else that may help. there are always ways to improvise with other generic tools and materials. for tools i just use hand drills, sharp knives, forks, soldering irons etc. for dye you can use natural materials to make your own dyes and mordents. copper, iron, etc.

i hope these suggestions help. if not, i hope someone more knowledgable can help you out. good luck establishing your course. if you have any luck be sure to let me know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

thanks for your input, you're exactly right, the requisition process is really stupid. I can't just go buy something and submit the receipt for reimbursement. I have to fill out a form and then some gopher goes and gets it.
    We're not your average secondary school either so sharp tools are out (or at least extremely limited), I need to figure some way around that...

Advertisement