Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many 2 oz glasses are enough?

Options
  • 15-04-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I am going to the American Craft Beer Fest in Boston in June. 100 craft brewers offering 300 craft brews for my tasting pleasure. I am volunteering for a shift so my ticket in will be free, saves the $40 entry fee.

Each entrant gets a 5oz tasting glass to use at the booths, and no more than 2oz are to be poured into the glass.

So, how many glasses would it take for you to reach your happy place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First of all, I hate you.

Second of all, you are going to have to put the whole 5oz/2oz into context for those of us this side of the pond. I am having trouble getting my head round the quantities involved (like a lot of things I am thinking about today. Ahem :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

If I'm calculating this correctly , you theorectically get 6 liters of beer at the show if you wanted :D

I think that might be just about enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

Well, the 5oz glass would probably make a good gulp. The 2oz would be akin to 1/8 of a pint, since we know that there are 16oz to a pint.

Now there are 15 1/2 gallons in a half keg, a total of eeerrrmmm, lots of ounces

KTRIC wrote: »
    If I'm calculating this correctly , you theorectically get 17 liters of beer at the show if you wanted :D

I think that might be just about enough for me.

You assume one pass around only?

You know what happens when you assume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The_M wrote: »
    You assume one pass around only?

You know what happens when you assume

I just corrected it, turns out to be 6 liters, not 17 :(

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    I just corrected it, turns out to be 6 liters, not 17 :(

No, you were probably correct the first time. 300 possible tastes in a round = 600oz/32oz/quart=18 quarts of beer. 1 quart=1.06Litre?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Well, the 5oz glass would probably make a good gulp. The 2oz would be akin to 1/8 of a pint, since we know that there are 16oz to a pint.

Now there are 15 1/2 gallons in a half keg, a total of eeerrrmmm, lots of ounces

So, according to my Personal Computational Device here, 2oz is roughly 71ml and 5oz is roughly 177ml. (side note: aren't the small bottles of wine teh wimmins drink in the pub around 177ml? Just for reference, like)

2oz = a mere sniff
    5oz = a passing taste

So, punching in more calculations to my PCD, I reckon it would take 71ml * 8 * 7/SQRT(food+H20)-(time of day * jet lag) + ambient temperature in Boston in June/amount of time there+ (number of nights on the beer prior to this day * 0.128) + (no. of hours sleep in previous 3 nights) = 2+E1023 glasses.

Or there abouts.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So, according to my Personal Computational Device here, 2oz is roughly 71ml and 5oz is roughly 177ml. (side note: aren't the small bottles of wine teh wimmins drink in the pub around 177ml? Just for reference, like)

2oz = a mere sniff
    5oz = a passing taste

So, punching in more calculations to my PCD, I reckon it would take 71ml * 8 * 7/SQRT(food+H20)-(time of day * jet lag) + ambient temperature in Boston in June/amount of time there+ (number of nights on the beer prior to this day * 0.128) + (no. of hours sleep in previous 3 nights) = 2+E1023 glasses.

Or there abouts.

Right, that gave me a headache! I'm gonna need a stiff one to clear that up!

Thanks for that!:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cursed Americans. When will they accept that the SI unit for Alcoholic Refreshment is the Pint.

Your pint is firmly based on our ounce. I am unable to help the fact that Europe succumbed to the communist plot that is the Metric system!

Imagine, grams, kilograms, liters, mililiters!

Who ever heard of such nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

an ounce is the same as our shot. 35.5ml
    so 2 ounces is a double measure. 71ml

a small bottle of wine (aka a quarter bottle) is 250ml.

8 2 ounce tastes will equal 1 of our irish pints so.... depending on now much you can drink, the amount it will take to get to your happy place will vary.

me, I'd probably be a bit smiley after 6 pints so I'll say 48 tastes will do nicely, but that will differ for everybody.

Ah, a true scientist!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,285 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Actually the American subversion of our pint is worse than it first appears. They have a mere 16 fluid ounces to the pint, whereas everyone knows that there are in fact 20 fluid ounces to a pint, thereby depriving us of a full one fifth of a pint every time. Burn the heretics I say!

Look, I think its worse than that. I fear that it might have been an American that first started to draw shamrocks in the foam of a Guinness. We have a lot to answer for!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Americans invented shamrocks in Guinness ?? mmmm

never mind that, this is what you want, well it is if your name is Ed, which mine is ! :-)

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=2812

And as for the the OP question, well here is my calculations on the matter.

2oz x 8 = 1 pint

Therefore, drinking as many as you possibly can, should eventually give the desired result.

Perhaps aim for about 80... 10 pints being a nice round number.

If you are drinking out of 5oz glasses, as 3 of these is 1 oz short of a pint, which makes the calculations a lot more tricky, so my suggestion here is , drink as many as you can, and again, I would probably aim for about 80.

Ok, so that is 25 pints, and might seem a lot, but imagine the shame of having to tell your friends, "I drank 24.5 pints. or 19.3 pints, or 15.75 pints.

It would be like saying "shudder" ," I had a glass* of Guinness"

* "glass" in this case refers to a "half pint"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Each entrant gets a 5oz tasting glass to use at the booths, and no more than 2oz are to be poured into the glass.

Just also be aware that some of those beer available will be 8-12%+ so 2oz is enough to taste a number with out been wrecked

I'm not sure how much time I will have anyway, and my goal really isn't to get wrecked tbh. With 300 possibilities I fear I might miss out on 1 or 2 offerings!

Advertisement