Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being the Designated Driver - stay or come back?

Options
  • 11-04-2009 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭

Fact - being the designated driver sucks wet biscuits.
    A bunch of us were having a discussion on this the other day and a point that came across big time was - as the night wears on the DD feels more isolated, left further out of conversations, sees everyone in a different light, not always flattering.

They also take up the role of taxi driver and food provider and always ends up the very last to get to bed in the bright hours of the following morning.

Anyway my question;

If you are the DD do you consign yourself to martyrdom and endure the marathon journey with everyone?

or,

do you do your own thing for the night and just go and collect these people at the end of the night and drive them home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i never feel isolated when i'm being the designated driver.

there was a two month period where i was off drink but still went out, i had great fun. seeing everyone gradually getting drunk is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Don't know what you're talking about Tom.

Taxis ftw. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭JackieRyan

Could you and your friends who are going out ,not order a taxi to take you home ,some taxi driver you know who will drop you all where you are going ,and the price could be divided by four ,if there are more than four book a mini-bus with the fare arranged in advance and as you use this service more and more the driver will get to know you well,it has its advantagessmile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I know what you're talking about Tom. I always stay but whether I have fun or not usually depends on the mood I'm in before I even get near the pub.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've only done designated driver twice, both times I stayed. Time will tell as to whether or not that become the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Don't really see a problem with it myself. I've often shared the taxi with the lads, spent the night in town and just not drank (should I be saying that in here? :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As someone that can't drink, I go out and have a good night and I'm usually automatically designated driver. I don't have a problem with it at all, and it's all down to having it in your head that you're going to have a good night, and not sit there thinking "I can't drink, this is sh*t..."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

As someone that can't drink, I go out and have a good night and I'm usually automatically designated driver. I don't have a problem with it at all, and it's all down to having it in your head that you're going to have a good night, and not sit there thinking "I can't drink, this is sh*t..."

That's so wrong.

I have a friend who doesn't drink and we always make a point that she does not end up being the designated driver. Nothing to do with the fact that she has a habit of falling asleep at the wheel after 11:00pm (happened on a number of occasions :eek:).

As for the original question - stay.

How else could you build up some "info" on people that would no doubt become useful at a later stage. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    That's so wrong.

Not if you don't mind. I don't let myself be taken for granted, but if someone asks and I don't mind, then I don't have a problem with it. When it's just me and the gf then we're both goin the same way anyway. She drinks, I can't, it's no problem! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tat dam sexy

i am always the DD.. i dont drink.. i am 22 yrs old and when i go out with my mates i go pub and the nite club and pretend to be drunk.. ha its great no one is the wiser about it.. so u can fit in with all ur mates

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i flipping hate being the DD

i have four bleeding weddings this summer where i will be the DD

i am currently blackmailing des, if he does learn to drive, the house will becomr a meat and beer free zone

Advertisement