Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGRH Investigates - Alcohol Free Beer

Options
  • 10-04-2009 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Given the day that is in it, I think it is fitting that we turn our collective attention to that curious concoction that is Alcohol Free Beer. I am sure we will all agree, it defies the very definition of beer to spend so much time brewing it, nurturing it, bottling it, then sucking it's very soul out.

So what drives people to drink AFB? Is it the taste? Surely not, as we all know AFB does in fact take like fermented horse urine. Is it the fear of letting one's self go? A fear of intoxication? If so, stick to the cocktails. Sounds like they will suit your image better.

To most men, AFB is almost as abhorrent as it's cousin, Light Beers.

I therefore put it to the assembled masses of BGRH - why do people drink AFB and what can we do to make them see the light that is Real Beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's alcohol free beers?

is it actually beer then?

ahh no i kid i kid, i think it exists just so for people who are the designated driver and feels like he'll look like a plank without a beer in his hand.

i actually don't know anyone who drinks AFB and they would get a slap tbh, water is free and tastes better if you're the designated driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I do believe the term is "near beer" and I never really saw the point..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If im driving i might have an alcohol free beer. Ive sampled many brands and the only one that comes close to tasting like real beer is the Erdinger brand. But in saying that anymore than 2 and you feel like you are drinking horse urine from chlamydia ridden horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I can't drink, and been well over 9 years since I could, but I still wouldn't lower myself to drink that muck.

I honestly think that how they make it is that they get someone to drink beer, filter the alcohol out via their liver and kidneys and piss what's left into a funnel which fills the bottles...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This discussion is the very epitome of what alcohol free beer is. Pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Shortest investigation ever.

Alcohol free beer?

It's liquid equivalent of quorn, an abhorrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I wouldn't care as much if it was cheaper than normal beer but I think it costs just as much :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

smashey wrote: »
    Shortest investigation ever.

Alcohol free beer?

It's liquid equivalent of quorn, an abhorrence.
    +1000000000000000000000000000

I popped in for my usual lurk and see this title.:eek::eek::eek::eek: For shame Sir. For shame..goes away muttering about how he never thought he would be let down by a giant of a man like Tom Dunne. The world now feels wrong somehow. Heartbroken sir..

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Do I have to read the thread before I say:

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Alcohol free beer has a tiny bit of alcohol in it which makes it worse because they are wasting precious precious alcohol.

• Advertisement

Alcohol free beer is a necessary evil. What else are you going to drink if you get caught to be the "designated driver"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

In the 1960's shandy used to come in cans (I think they were called tins then). I was given one every Friday after the Ma did the weekly shop.

That was lovely stuff, I think it was 1 or 2% alcahol. Anyway the point is that tasted better then AFB. There are hundreds of other drinks on the market and bar shelves to choose from. Why would anyone want to pay top dollar for a pointless brew?

i) It tastes damn awful, has an aftertaste I think you'd have to lick you ass to get rid of.
    ii) You'd need a science degree to brew the crap and it still has no alcahol.

AFB = not for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Alcohol = beer (or spirits)

Alcohol Free = Not beer (or sprite)

Free beer = Happy days!

The sentence as a whole makes no sense close this thread!

Q.E.D.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFB = Hangover juice

All the techniques they use to remove ethanol leave behind fusel alcohols so apart the the dehydration you can still get the other effects of hangovers. And your wallet still hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If I'm designated dessie i'll take 6 alcyhol free bottles (n-alcy's) of becks along for the ride.

Yeah, there's no alcohol in it but 6 bottles isn't exactly going to get you far in the inebriation stakes anyway is it?

Beer tastes nice. I'd rather be sipping it than tae or 7up all avo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

If I'm designated dessie i'll take 6 alcyhol free bottles (n-alcy's) of becks along for the ride.

Yeah, there's no alcohol in it but 6 bottles isn't exactly going to get you far in the inebriation stakes anyway is it?

Beer tastes nice. I'd rather be sipping it than tae or 7up all avo.

Non-alcoholic beer does contain alcohol actually. It's usually around 0.5%.

But anyways, nobody should be drinking it because its awful stuff. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Erdinger non alcholic ftw if you can't have proper beer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1 for erdinger, but its not always available.
    I tend either not to bother drinking anything, or just have a soft drink.
    Both options suck compared to having a real beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

erdinger non alcoholic kinda tastes soapy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you think Erdinger Alkoholfrei tastes bad then try Becks N/A! Now thats real piss!
    However, if you are driving when should you drink instead? Coke? Coffee? Water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Could AFB be good for the cure after a heavy session? Suppose one needed the hangover to disappear lively but not consume any further alcohol??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I tried the non-alcoholic Erdinger the other night and thought it was disgusting! It didn't taste like beer at all, doesn't that defeat the purpose a little bit?

are you used to regular erdinger?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah yes, and had been drinking Paulaner that night too. But does the fact that it doesn't taste like beer defeat the purpose? I mean people are drinking it as a beer substitute. But then again they could genuinely like the taste...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Twee. wrote: »
    Ah yes, and had been drinking Paulaner that night too. But does the fact that it doesn't taste like beer defeat the purpose? I mean people are drinking it as a beer substitute. But then again they could genuinely like the taste...

I reckon the fact there's no alcohol in it defeats the purpose; and I've yet to meet a man, or woman, that likes the taste of any alcohol free beers.

The real brewers of good beers, with flavours and characters, would look upon the production of alcohohl free beer as blasphemy.

Twee. wrote: »

ah, i know several people who'd say erdinger or any other hefeweizen doesn't taste like beer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Gym instrutor

Yeah id drink a sixpack of non alcoholic beer and its great to watch the footie with. It tastes similar without the kick or the hangover the next morning if your going into work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I once got an alcohol free beer in mistake, I didn't nor would I drink such a foul creeation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    So what drives people to drink AFB? Is it the taste? Surely not, as we all know AFB does in fact take like fermented horse urine.

Speak for yourself there Brother, I've never once consumed that foul liquid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Paulaner alkoholfrei is nice enough. I like to drink it while driving for the craic.

Advertisement