Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VHS to DVD

Options
  • 03-04-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I have a large VHS tape library and I am looking to transfer them to DVD. A friend told me that its possible to get a cable that goes from the video player to the dvd player that will tranfer this. Is this true?

I am not very computer savvy so I dont want to get involved with software et al if avoidable.

Any input appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

You will need a DVD recorder hooked up to your VHS player to copy tapes. Instructions are usually included with the dvd recorder on how to copy from another device. Be it scart av1 or av2 etc.
    By the way Lidl in Ballyfermot are offering this Sat .only 4th April
    a Targa DVD Recorder for €85 reduced from €185 ..an absolute cracker with 3 years guarantee. I bought one of these for €299 12 months ago and find it the business.

If you do get one don't use the TV program numbers to set the recording time . Use the Date/time/channel numbers as the other function is geared to the German TV Times. This offer is only available in Ballyfermot so be early if you wish to get one I would imagine that supplies are limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭cortinaG

Hi, If you have a dvd recorder connected to your tv it will most likely be connected into scart 1 on the recorder. take a scart lead from your video to scart 2 on the recorder, switch to line 2 on the recorder input, and away you go. Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

cortinaG wrote: »
    Hi, If you have a dvd recorder connected to your tv it will most likely be connected into scart 1 on the recorder. take a scart lead from your video to scart 2 on the recorder, switch to line 2 on the recorder input, and away you go. Hope this helps.

I did that but I'm only getting sound and no picture, Can anyone help ?

Well, I'm actually having the same problem with sound but no picture BUT only with my tapes that I brought home from the US. Is there any chance your library is NTSC. Search boards for "dvd player won't play ntsc videos". I'm afraid I didnt really have any luck. I still think its some kind of a block because when I press play, picture appears for a second and then disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

I bought a sony dvd hd recorder last year.

i linked by scart my vcr to the hard drive and have recorded a lot of old stuff recently. it has worked well.

however, i went to record an old music video onto the hard drive last night and it would not allow me. it said the video tape was copyrighted.
    is there anyway around this.??

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, no I haven't found a way around that. I recently tried to put disney's Pinnochio onto dvd for the kids but it was blocked, and yet yesterday I was able to transfer disney's A bug's life, no block. both were genuine copy vhs tapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sagibelinda

http://www.transfervhstodvd.biz VHS to DVD Transfer is currently the most professional VHS to DVD Transfer which is specially designed to transfer VHS videos to DVD with super fast speed and up-scale output image and sound quality! It supports to transfer videos from DV, VHS Cams, Web Camera to hard drive, create home DVDs and encode the transferred videos directly to AVI or MPEG-2 format. Meanwhile, if you want to transfer the VHS videos to other popular formats, the AVS Video Recorder will directly connect you to the video converter to help you fulfil the task, try!
    connect-device.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PortoLad

population wrote: »
    Hey all

I have a large VHS tape library and I am looking to transfer them to DVD. A friend told me that its possible to get a cable that goes from the video player to the dvd player that will tranfer this. Is this true?

I am not very computer savvy so I dont want to get involved with software et al if avoidable.

Any input appreciated

Cheers
    Get someone to do it for you!!

PM me if you want some more info..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DoubleDip

Yo, you should try copymyvideo.com or some similar service, I'm in Ireland used this one and they were pretty cheap they did a deal on 10 dvds for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I have a "kworld" kit but just the rc to usb cable, I dont have the software, but I found software called Golden Video`s,( I know it sounds nasty) I have video but no sound, I see the levels moving, but I cant seem to find anywhere in the settings to hear the sound.
    Can anyone help, please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cliffon3

hey

i dont know if you still need tapes converted but we convert vhs to dvd in a small shop in kilkenny,

what you get:

dvd
    dvd box
    dvd cover
    dvd box cover

all for only 10 euro per dvd

if you need to you can post us the tapes and we will convert them and send them back, but please note delivery charge will be added. all major cards taken. if you would like more info please pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I have some old VHS tapes I wanna convert too.

Am I right to believe all I need is a VHS player and video card + software for my pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Wondering how this is done myself, I have a DVD/Video combi, is that any use for doing it or does it need to be a recorder? Really have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unless your combo includes the ability to record to DVD, and will do so from a VHS tape that is being played, then to transfer from VHS to DVD will require additional hardware.

If you have a PC with a DVD write capable drive, then this is probably the most logical option. You need to get the video/audio signal from the VHS tape being played into the PC which will require that it be converted into a digital form.

If you have a suitable PC then what you need is a USB Video grabber. Such as one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+video+grabber+rgb&keywords=usb+video+grabber+rgb&ie=UTF8&qid=1319192111&ajr=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+video+grabber&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+video+grabber

I haven't used any of these so cannot recommend any in particular, but many of them have been reviewed and rated so you could read those to help pick one.

You will need software to handle the recording of the video via the grabber and to encode the video to enable it to be burned to a DVD. Again, haven't done it myself, but I would suspect that appropriate software could be found and downloaded for free, if it is not already part of the OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 PortoLad

A word of caution - based on my experience the digital video produced by some of the products in the above link can be low grade and in come cases completely unusable.

Really it takes an investment of a few hundred euros to get proper digitisation equipment. Needless to say you would want to have a lot of video to convert for this type of investment to make sense. Another factor is that each video will need to be played in its entirety (there is no way to fast-forward) so if you have say 10 * 3 hour tapes be sure to put a full weekend aside to convert them.

There are plenty of digitisation services out there which can be a more cost effective way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 oscas

cortinaG wrote: »

Thank you so much - was dumb-struck, then did exactly what you said and it's working a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭shesalady

Hi,
    Were you able to find a way of converting VHS to DVD?
    @Cliffon 3, do you still convert VHS to DVD? If so please let me know how to contact you.
    @ portolad, please can u tell me more about digitisation services out there.
    Thanks

@ shesalady, I used Open Shiva (for Mac) - it worked better than MPeg Streamclip

Thanks oscas but I have no idea what you mean. I am not software savy Could you please things in layman terms to me. Thanks

shesalady wrote: »
    Thanks oscas but I have no idea what you mean. I am not software savy Could you please things in layman terms to me. Thanks

To be honest, if you haven't a clue, best bet is to pay for someone else to do it. I am tech savvy and it was still a pain in the face to do. Shop around and get the best quote for the format you need to transfer to...

• Advertisement

thanks oscas
    @forum. please does anyone know where i can transfer a regular pal vhs tape to DVD in carlow or kilkenny?
    please let me know
    thanks

Advertisement