Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National 5 a sides/volvo ocean race May30/31st - Galway. Anyone top that weekend??

Options
  • 27-03-2009 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all, thinking of having one big weekend this summer and maybe heading down to Galway on the Bank holiday weekend of May 30th/31st for the National 5 a sides in Salthill Park. Has anyone played in this before?Whats it like just want to know if I need to get training now!? I hear its great craic around the Salthill area. Will also be cool to see the Volvo Ocean race on the bay while you are playing the matches. Can anyone give me a better type of combination weekend before I book?
    Slainte

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Dabatter

Sporting combo weekends would be preferable all.

Thanks

The Red Arrows in Salthill that day too!

And the airshow is free too

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

I've seen it before and the standard of football is quite high after a round or two. I might be playing in it this year - are ya any good?! ;) Tis always a great weekend if the sun is shining - its completely weather dependent!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Justin Conboy

Yea, the 5 A-Sides is class. There are usually about 140 teams entered into it, with 7 per team, only 5 actually play at any one time and that included the goal keeper. Salthill Park is a natural stadium so the view of the games is excellent. Each match is If you get drawn early on the Saturday, you may have to play at 10:30 am. The second round is on at about 1pm and the 3rd round is on at about 4pm. The competition is a straight knock out format. 1 loss and you're out.
    A lot of teams are just down for the laugh, but then there are a huge amount of teams that take it very very serious. Teams travel from all around the world to play in it. It's the biggest 5-a-sides in Ireland, that's what it's called the National 5 A-Sides. It's been running for nearly 30 years and is run by Salthill Deavon.
    The Air Show as we know it since 1992 or so had been cancelled for the past 2 years due to pressure from a handful of anti war protesters notably Galway Alliance Against War. Even though up to 120,000 people visited Galway for Europe’s largest free air show on that day they still pressured the City Council into giving only about €25,000 euro to organise the event, which just wasn't enough!!!
    The Red Arrows are coming to Galway this weekend just before the Volvo boats perform the Regatta in the Bay on Sunday at about lunch time. You'll hear them when they come.
    Galway City will be mental over the weekend. When large crowds gather in Galway like on Race Week and when we have really nice weather, people just get pints in the pubs and have the bar man/woman to put the drinks into a plastic glass so you can drink outside on the pedestrianised streets.

Good luck and welcome to the greatest city in the world....

Justin From Galway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement