Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year long part-time masters in Dublin?

Options
  • 26-03-2009 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I'm considering doing another masters in Dublin. But I'll only do one if it takes less than 12 months and can be done part-time. :)

Does anyone know of any courses I could consider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

In what area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't mind. I already have a masters in the area I work in (computing) so I'm happy to try something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

Well you could possibly do one full-time, if your work is a little flexible and your willing to be drained for 12 months.

Or maybe you could do a h.dip part time in 12 months.

You'd have to tell work though, although the college wouldn't have to know.

I mean presumably you can do assignments in your own time, lectures, depending on the course, are probably only gonna be 12 hours max.

You could do that buissness analytics in UCD, jesus I'm really selling this one, since you are presumably already a decent programmer. It shouldn't kill you to do it full time and 2k, happy days.

Or Bioinformatics. Or is there nueroinformatics in Dublin?
    etc.....

Or you could try pure maths, you'd probably have to do a dip first.

I guess you could use computer science as a gateway to other things and so on...

Damn, I really want to do the Buissness Analytics.I have negative money though.

i'm not a shil by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

From what I know of masters: it will be very difficult to find something that is part-time, can be done in one year (I think all of the part-time masters are two years), and is not related to your work (which - and others please do correct me on this if I'm wrong - but from what I've heard is the only way you could find a postgrad degree which is that short), AND is something which you're qualified for.

I would suggest checking out masters that do exist that you're qualified for, and working from there, and being aware of the possibility of ending up on a full-time masters which has flexible/minimal hours if you're dead set on doing it within a year.

Have you thought about distance education, actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

My masters last year could be done part-time in 12 months (I actually did it in 9 months) so I guess I'm hoping that wasn't a unique course!

Full-time isn't an option unfortunately...

Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

Ive always assumed P/T masters were 2 years, never heard of a 1 year P/T masters- Just out of interest what was your masters in?

As another poster said you mnight have more luck with a HDip

This is a long shot but maybe if you picked a mastrers in which you were able to get exemptions for subjects previously studied that could cut down on the timeframe. The only problem with that is you would still need to keep to the module calendar ie if you were exempt from 2 modules which ran in the middle of the course it would still be 2 years long in terms of start- finish dates- worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

not really suure on this one AARRRGH, but maybe one by research. There's an MSc in Finane in Trinity that is done on block release. Best to talk to blucey on boards or mail him directly as he runs the course.

peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

i can suggest 2 from DCU

1. is the masters in international relations is pure part time

lectures on friday and saturday afaik

2. the msc in ecommerce( business ) - i am on this stream.

it is fulltime but as there are no lectures on friday and tuesday is our only full day of lectures this might suit your requirements.
    its the assignments,preparation,readings and meetings that take up most of the time though.
    depends on how much sleep you need i suppose :-)

if you are looking for something challenging,educational and fun you could always check out toastmasters..
    clubs are always looking for new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

masters in pharmaceutical technology - 1 year part time course, i'd say they insist you do the 1.5 year h.dip in pharma before hand though

Advertisement