Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

on yr. out-defer postgrad a 2nd yr??

Options
  • 23-03-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'd like your opinions on this-................................

I have completed a BA(Hons) degree and am this year obliged by my university to do a year out before returning to a postgraduate (2 years)- the idea being that I gain some beneficial work/ practical experience to enhance my skills on the course. As this year has turned out to be such a disaster- work experience wise with the economic situation- it gave me a lot of time to think.

I am now considering deferring my postgraduate for a second year during which time I intend to undertake an advanced diploma in a totally unrelated course. This will ony require me to go to study classes at the weekends and I would spend the remaining time in classes to enhance my original skills. By the way what I originally studied was architecture and I would like to do a health related course so that in the long term when I have completed all my studies I could practise both on separate week days. I would like to improve my drawing and model-making skills before undertaking the postgraduate in architecture.

My alternative is to go ahead and complete the postgraduate and return to my other area of interest at a later stage in my life. But I feel that after the 2 years I will be in a similiar situation of trying to find work as an intern and will be undertaking the postgraduate without sufficient practical experience.

Am I mad- should I defer and take the second yr out( which btw is acceptable by the course & I am young so I know I won't feel too old after completing my postgrad) or should I just finish the entire architecture course and then decide what I want to do. I am thinking long term and would like to hear your opinions. Btw up until now I have just been working to earn money and trying to do some relevant work experience but so far its been hard to find. ps apologies for the lengthy post!

Advertisement