Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island Hopping in Greece?

Options
  • 20-03-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi,

Would really really appreciate advice on anyone who has done this. Is it expensive? romantic? worth it? What are the best islands to visit and for how long?

Thanks a mil!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭yan

how about telling us your profile?

age? what r u after? travelling with? etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 FionaS

Sure yan

I am 24 and my b/f is 26 and we're looking for a holiday with a difference. Like the idea of travelling around every couple of days. Not sure how long we would need to do maybe 3/4 islands? Looking for a nice balance of beautiful scenery nice restaurants/bars daytime activities (water sports/ nice walks etc).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Santorini is definitely worth a visit, 2 days will be fine, don't worry about seeing the attractions there (most are ****). Just stay in Fira and take in Oia for a few hours while your over there. Both Fira and Oia are beautiful (Oia is stunningly beautiful in the summer). Id stay in Fira though cause there'll be zero to do in Oia at night.
    I can't state enough that Fira is the place to go in Santorini despite the bit of popularity of the opposite side of the Island. Santorini is probably (definitly) the most beautiful of all Greek Islands.
    I've been to Crete and Ios as well, both with great beaches, Id go for crete between the 2, Ios is known to be lively at night but theres nothing in it. Crete is the better of the 2 imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 FionaS

Thanks jon1981 that site gave me some good ideas.

Colly 10, think Santorini will def be on the list. Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Fly to Athens and stay for a couple of days - don't miss the Plaka and the Parthenon. Take a ferry to Santorini - stay in Oia for 3-4 days. Would recommend day trips to Fira. For cheap accommodation stay in rooms at Delfini -www.delfinihotel.net/ - owners are lovely. Take a trip to see the volcano. Go to Kamari for a day by the beach. Take a 2-3 day trip to Ios if you fancy a bit of clubbing.

Then take the ferry from Santorini to Crete. Don't miss the ruins at Knossos and the museum in Heraklion. Take a couple of days in Chania. Leave most of your luggage in a locker in the bus station in Chania and take the 6am bus to Omalos. Walk the Samaria gorge (13 km) and take the ferry at the end to Loutro for a day or two (only accessible by ferry - absolutely gorgeous), and then take the ferry again from there to Paleohora for a day or two - lovely beaches, really nice laid-back feel about the place. Take a bus again from Paleohora to Chania; bus again from Chania to Heraklion and then fly home.

Drink loads of Ouzo. Eat loads of swordfish.

Have the time of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Don't want to argue but just want to give an opinion on this -
    Unshelved wrote: »
    Take a ferry to Santorini - stay in Oia for 3-4 days. Would recommend day trips to Fira.

Oia is dead but beautiful, Fira is more lively but also nice. You will take in all there is to see in Oia in a half day day trip and there really is nothing there at night, Fira is a better place to stay because it is lively both day and night.
    Unshelved wrote: »
    Go to Kamari for a day by the beach

Santorini has the worst beaches I have ever been on, Kamari is a long beach but the sand is black and course (sp?) and the sand is not clean, there seems to be alot of straw in it, it's not a beach lovers paradise. If your going to be spending time in Ios which has beautiful beaches then there's no point in spending time on the beaches in Santorini.
    When I was in Santorini, we actually took the boat over to Ios for the day to hit a decent beach

Advertisement