Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If the Premier Leagues Player Pick was Made Tomorrow Who Would You Pick?

Options
  • 09-03-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

On current form I'd go;

1- Phil Taylor
    2- Mervyn King
    3- James Wade
    4- Robert Thornton
    5- Raymond van Barneveld
    6- Adrian Lewis
    7- Terry Jenkins
    8- Dennis Priestly

My picks are based on PDC floor events, recent televised events and the Premier League!

Notice I have no new PDC players, my list will probably change throughout the year!

Who would you lads pick?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Good idea for a thread.

1. Phil Taylor - Pretty obvious really, the best player out there and i love to see him lose :)

2. Mervyn King - Consistently very good and he has stormed up the PDC Rankings. Great start to the Premier League as well and you always geta bit of drama when King is involved.

3. James Wade - Top class player and one of the few who can reach the heights of Phil Taylor. Can be a little inconsistent at times and had a bad year last year but he looks back to his best again.

4. Raymond Van Barneveld - One of the greatest players of all time and a true ambassodor for the sport. He hasn't been on top form lately but he still made the World final and can beat anyone on his day.

5. Robert Thornton - Destined to do what King has done and will storm up the rankings. I will be very surprised if he isn't in the top 6 at the end of the year and has every chance of winning one of the majors. Great floor player too and he is always at the business end of tournaments.

6. Dennis Priestley - So many people don't like watching him because he is a slow player but he is my favourite player of all time. To be still at the top of the game after so long is an amazing achievement. He never gives in when he is behind, he has great determination and is definitely one of the best players the sport has seen.

7. Adrian Lewis - Can be utterly brilliant on his day and has the most natural ability I have ever seen. He can beat anyone on his day, it's only his mental ability that has stopped him so far. Will improve with experience.

8. John Part - Had a very poor year after winning the World Championships but again he is a very consistent player who always seems to give Taylor a match. He is atrue gent of the sport and has made a good start to the Premier League this season. He has won plenty of majors and I expect him to regain his form this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

Phil Taylor: don't like watching him but it was his and sid waddell' idea and he's the best ever
    Raymond Van Barnevald: Bad form at the moment but can throw some amazing darts and always great to watch
    James Wade: very cocky nowdays but can back it up, great to watch and at the moment the only one who can stack up to talyor
    Adrian Lewis: super fast player and great to watch.
    Mervyn King: cool as you like and lets nothing get to him and in the form he's in maybe top three by world matchplay. very heavy scorer
    Co Stompe: great entertainment and great player and counter.
    John Part: not a great 2008 for john but at the moment you can see he's enjoying his darts at the moment.
    Robert Thorton: came out of nowhere to become one of the PDC best all round players.

my opinion is based on what i've seen and read but also on the format of the premier league itself. priestly is a great player but dosen't suit the fast paced action of the league, the organiser took a gamble with klassen because of hie quick style throwing and have so far failed. i personally think you need fast players to keep the audience hooked because of the short fomat plus next year they should make it 10 men instead of 8. it's popular enough to do it. couple of other players i would lke to see, van gerwen,van der voort, gary anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I suppose the painfully obvious thing is that Klassen is out of his league, Lewis on form should have his spot, but so do others...like Thornton

As much as I hate to say it, Mardle is justifying his spot at the moment, Klassen at the moment just isn't even putting up a fight in his losses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

Phil Taylor- Speaks for itself really
    John Part - Probably my favourite player and capable of beating anyone including taylor.
    Ray Van Barnevald - Again speaks for itself really
    James Wade - Don't really like wade, but you can't argue against his talent.
    Terry Jenkins - Really good player and seems a very nice bloke.
    Mervyn King - Probably the number 1 player in the world at the moment on form.
    Gary Anderson - I really can't understand why the pdc didn't put him in the PL when they knew he was switching... at least 1 new unique match every week, would have freshened the league up.
    Kevin Painter - Why not? Good player on his day and always good for a bit of controvercy;) Better than that plonker mardle anyway.

Lol, i just edited this... it looked as if i was saying that merv was better than phil!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I think Klassen is there cos he's a good looking kid with popular entrance music, and maybe to have another token dutch player

His ranking should have him way outta the running, but there he is....strange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Phil Taylor…. Have to be There as Players now seem to be raising their game against Him.
    James Wade... Playing Super Darts and could be the winner this year
    Mervyn King... Great to watch Always trys to wind up opponent with little things on the Stage
    Raymond Van Barneveld.. Off Form so far but will make Top 4 and Really can destroy anyone if on form
    Adrian Lewis.. Seems to back on form and crowd Favourite as well
    John Part.. Will Always Give anyone a game and seems like Lewis to be back on form
    Robert Thornton.. Surprised he was not give a spot Given they go to three Scottish citys and he would be able to compete
    Terry Jenkins.. Very tough player to beat and will give the Top 4 a lot of trouble

I was one who backed Klassens pick to the PL.However so far he has Disappointed. Although last week against James Wade he had his chance to win. Think he may come good yet.Wont make the Top 4 but could like Terry Jenkins give a lot of players trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

My SUPER 8 would be:

Matt Clarke
    Ronnie Baxter
    Peter Manley
    Kirk Shepard
    Denis Ovens
    Barry Bates
    Chris Mason
    Mark Walsh
    :D:D:D:D

You know whats really funny-most of these players are ahead of Klaasen in the rankings:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Crow71

If its controversary you're looking for, how about a premier league made up of:
    Taylor
    Mason
    Painter
    Manley
    King
    Lewis
    Andy Jenkins
    Nicholson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

its interesting to see the coments about taylor ,only for him PDC darts would still be like the BDO, he put darts in the big time.
    i think he is honest ,he learns from his defeats works hard and should get the respect for it .
    a lot of the players are happy enough making a good living from there darts not taylor he is a wealthy man and does not need the money he just loves a good game and be pushed hard .
    but loves to win its a drug to him .
    we in shooting have a guy called george digweed MBE he is 15 world camp in sporting clay pigeon shooting , he like taylor is responsible for the next generation being the best they can be ,each sport will never be the same again because of these man were lucky to be able to watch them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

jwshooter wrote: »
    its interesting to see the coments about taylor ,only for him PDC darts would still be like the BDO, he put darts in the big time.
    i think he is honest ,he learns from his defeats works hard and should get the respect for it .
    a lot of the players are happy enough making a good living from there darts not taylor he is a wealthy man and does not need the money he just loves a good game and be pushed hard .
    but loves to win its a drug to him .
    we in shooting have a guy called george digweed MBE he is 15 world camp in sporting clay pigeon shooting , he like taylor is responsible for the next generation being the best they can be ,each sport will never be the same again because of these man were lucky to be able to watch them .

Brilliant comment jwshooter!
    Taylor is a legend. Also he brought darts to another level and has really helped the PDC to become what it is now!
    As he is real winner and legend he finds it hard to accept defeat and he really is a bad loser, one of the worst I've ever seen!
    Over the last few years other players have been getting better trying to get to his level and I just love it when a player plays as well as him and beats him! I'm just getting tired of domination in the sport, it gets boring over time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Phil Taylor
    No televised competition is complete without the power

Ray Barneveld
    May not be on top form right now but he's still capable of destroying anyone

James Wade
    Heir apparent to Taylors throne, can also take anyone on his day, even taylor

Terry Jenkins
    Worth his place any day, always does enough to justify his place in the league

John Part
    3 times world champion, number 4 in the world, cannot be ignored, plus he has the game to beat anyone (if his head is right)

Mervyn King
    Done enough to earn it and justified it by his blistering start, and showed he's at home with the big boys

Andy Hamilton
    Have a lot of time for 'the hammer' and was unlucky not to be in the league by right this year, should've got the nod before Wayne Mardle

Adrian Lewis
    Would have been a much better (and competitive) addition than klassen, played well in the league before and would no doubt have more than one point so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Definitely have Stompe in, Manley and Painter would be good fun too. They should really make the league bigger with the players only playing each other once. Shorten the format and add in two matches a night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Definitely have Stompe in, Manley and Painter would be good fun too. They should really make the league bigger with the players only playing each other once. Shorten the format and add in two matches a night.

Yeah I would agree with that. I kind of begin to lose interest once the second round of matches kicks in because it's too repetitive. I would have 12 players with players playing each other once. It only shortens the League by three weeks but make sit much more interesting with a bigger selection of players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

James Wade
    Phil Taylor
    Raymond Barneveld
    Mervyn King
    Andy Hamilton
    Adrian Lewis
    Robert Thornton
    Alan Tabern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

I would have set out to try and make it a bit more interesting by giving Anderson or Webster one of the wildcard slots instead of Mardle or Klaasen.

Or maybe even the two of them but this would of caused problems in the PDC with the other players I'm sure.

I know neither did nothing major in the BDO world's but I think they both would be well able for the standard.

Advertisement