Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning the language (for a holiday)

Options
  • 06-03-2009 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

First of all, apologies if there's already a thread about this, but would appreciate advice/recommendations.

Basically I'm going on holiday to South America this summer and thought it would be handy to learn a bit of Spanish before I go. What do you recommend in terms of language tapes/discs/programs etc? The one everyone mentions is Linguaphone but is there any better ones out there? Taking into account of cost and general availability as well as quality. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've move this to the Spanish forum as it's more a language learning issue than a Travel/Holiday issue. You'll probably find other learners there who will know more about the different packages available.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I got Linuaphone free with some Sunday newspaper about 2 years ago and even for a free program it was damn good! Before South America I did night classes, computer programs, spanish mp3 lessons, the lot! Check out some free podcasts on itunes. Also lots of free lessons online, just google. Michel Thomas and a few others are good, it all depends on how you learn best. Like, I could never learn from just listening, I have to see the written word to remember anything. Once you igure out how you learn best then you can start shopping.
    Then, parallel to Grafton St is a language learning shop that you can buy some great software in. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Smart Learning

Smart Learning have a Latin American Spanish course available for €29.99 + P&P. The language pack focuses on the most common 250 words to build up a vocabulary and has been quality assured by the SALIS School of Languages in DCU.

For more information check out www.smartlearning.tv or email dan.quinn@smartlearning.tv

Advertisement