Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go for 19's instead of 20's?

Options
  • 06-03-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Recently I've started aiming for 19's instead of 20's in regular games of 501 and I have to say I'm finding it easier to hit treble 19 than treble 20. The other day I hit 171 and was delighted. Does anybody else try the 19 route?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Do it regularly and sometimes it works wonders hit 133s and 171s more consistently sometimes than 140s and 180s but its more a mental thing than actually going for them on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭Degag

I personally don't but i know plenty of people who do... i think the people who go for 19's problem is more phychological than anything else really, the same way that if you get it into your head that you don't like a certain double more often than not you won't hit it...

Over a large number of shots, i would think that a person would hit the same number of 20's as they would 19's and miss the bed a similar number of times as well. I could be totally wrong with this statement of course, it's just what i think ....

In my experience people who switch from 20's to 19s because they are hitting too many 26s and 30s tend to throw just as many 25s and 29s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Degag wrote: »
    I personally don't but i know plenty of people who do... i think the people who go for 19's problem is more phychological than anything else really, the same way that if you get it into your head that you don't like a certain double more often than not you won't hit it...

Over a large number of shots, i would think that a person would hit the same number of 20's as they would 19's and miss the bed a similar number of times as well. I could be totally wrong with this statement of course, it's just what i think ....

In my experience people who switch from 20's to 19s because they are hitting too many 26s and 30s tend to throw just as many 25s and 29s!

I'm not too bad on the 20's but for some strange reason which I can't explain I started going for 19's and started knocking in treble 19 easy enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Craft25

i love treble 20's but i avoid double tops like the plague.. what's that about? :confused:

ratinakeg wrote: »
    I'm not too bad on the 20's but for some strange reason which I can't explain I started going for 19's and started knocking in treble 19 easy enough!

Well then you should stay there! You're not giving away a disadvantage by going for 19s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Degag wrote: »
    Well then you should stay there! You're not giving away a disadvantage by going for 19s.

Suppose so but when I miss a treble 19 I'm normally very close to it which means I score 19,21 or 9 which is a few points better than a 45 score (well 4 points)!

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Suppose so but when I miss a treble 19 I'm normally very close to it which means I score 19,21 or 9 which is a few points better than a 45 score (well 4 points)!

All you need is practice imo... i'm the exact same, i could score 19 total - t3, 3 ,7 and have all three darts within mms of the treple bed, i try to look at it positively (hard sometimes though) in that i am throwing the dart well. From a long term point of view imo, its better to be hitting t3 on the wire than big 19 which is miles from the treple bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

I think it is important to be comfortable going for triple 19. However I only use it as a cover shot if the t.20 is blocked.
    I always inwardly smile when I see a player I am playing against switch all his 3 darts to 19's instead of 20's.
    I just say to myself "I have him"
    IMO you should stick to what you know best in a game and lets face it we have all thrown more darts at 20 than any other number on the board.
    It is all about practice and unless you practice for 19's the whole time why switch to them in the middle of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I switch a lot to 18's myself. They have saved my skin on many an occasion. Hate double twenty!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

i use the 18s as my cover shot, i'm ok on 19s and dont be afraid to go for them but i've always used the 18s as cover, dunno why but i always did but ever since barney started in the pdc n i've seen him on the box a lot more i started goin for the bull a lot more too, and i find i can hit it a lot more frequent now, especially in combination finishes where you might only have 1 dart at a double....

• Advertisement
Advertisement