Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature engineer to medicine

Options
  • 28-02-2009 3:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm an electronic engineer with 7 years experience. I was thinking of going back to college to follow my dream - becoming a doctor

Does anyone know if colleges generally take on mature students for medicine? If so, what are the requirements? All thoughts and ideas welcome:)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I'm friends with a mature student who did Mech eng and is now doing medicine. I think they went in from their leaving cert results as opposed to going in as a mature student. It's quite common nowadays, especially with Graduate Entry coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I know UCC offer it if you have a 2h1 or higher in your undergraduate degree, and you have to take the GAMSAT exams the year before, then you apply through the CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Wisheress

I know quite a few mature students who went to med school, including three with an engineering background. Ring the individual colleges and they'll tell you their requirements. I think Limerick specifically does a graduate entry programme (GEP) as does RCSI in Dublin so you have a few options.

There is a thread on medicine as a career here too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145417

Best of luck!

Advertisement