Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to practice Doubles?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 6:08pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads I'm having huge problems with my doubles lately. Just played N01 and got hammered because I checked out 1/25 which is 4%! I'm scoring better than ever but my doubles have gone to crap.

I need a way to practice my doubles that isn't just playing legs against N01.

How do you lads practice your doubles and what do you think is the best routine to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I normally play around the board on doubles giving 6 darts to each number, if I miss 6 times then I go back around on the doubles I missed until I hit them, then I start again. Unfortunately my darts were robbed from my pub :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Lads I'm having huge problems with my doubles lately. Just played N01 and got hammered because I checked out 1/25 which is 4%! I'm scoring better than ever but my doubles have gone to crap.

I need a way to practice my doubles that isn't just playing legs against N01.

How do you lads practice your doubles and what do you think is the best routine to use?

If a couple of friends are around we play killers or secret killers which is a great craic!

When on my own I play a game in which you throw at double 1, when I hit it I move on to D2 and so on all the way up to the bull. I play this at least once every few days if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

250 down and you can only score with doubles. You can't hit same double twice in 3 darts so you can't go D20, D20, D20. Usually I go D20, D16, D18 but very rarely I'll get all 3. Its fun when you get to around 100 and have to finish D20, D16, D14 or D19, D18, D13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

the way i do it is: try and hit 3 of each double and write down how many darts it take you to do it, it takes a while but you'll find out which doubles you have trouble with and which you easily hit. after the games you go back a pratice on your worst five doubles. if you can do this every day you will work on every double not just your favorites and you should see a huge difference after just a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Giant Reed

If you've got a few hours to spare on just doubles here's a routine I read which a pro uses. Try go round the board 1-20 in doubles but you can't move on until you hit your double twice out of your 3 darts..

This is very time consuming but trust me I tried it and the improvement in my double finishing was amazing. I think it works because you put lots of pressure on your last dart if you've hit it already once and you can't just throw a lucky dart at a double hit it then move on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Cheers lads, some good suggestions. I will probably give all of them a go I'm struggling so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I've noticed abig improvement on my doubles by practicing checkouts rather than a straight shot at your doubles. I only give myself one or maybe two darts at a double depending on whether I hit a treble, so the added pressure of hitting it helps, otherwise I've to start back at 81/74 etc

Throwing for doubles until you hit them in games like round the board just don't help, of course you'll hit them eventually, checkouts are better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

If you have a champions choice board id recommend on doubles you would use most often ie. 20/10/5, 16/8/4, 18/9 mark the centre of each of those doubles with a marker or if dont wanna write on your board use small stickers(even a normal sized board would do) and when throwing at them doubles try hit the centre where you've marked it this will improve your concentration no end i think thats what your struggling with because as you said you seem to be scoring better then ever so dont think its your aim that is letting you down on the doubles

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭death1234567

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Lads I'm having huge problems with my doubles lately.
    Me too. I definitely need to pratcie just to get my confidence back. I used to be pretty good on the doubles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

matty84 wrote: »
    If you have a champions choice board id recommend on doubles you would use most often ie. 20/10/5, 16/8/4, 18/9 mark the centre of each of those doubles with a marker or if dont wanna write on your board use small stickers(even a normal sized board would do) and when throwing at them doubles try hit the centre where you've marked it this will improve your concentration no end i think thats what your struggling with because as you said you seem to be scoring better then ever so dont think its your aim that is letting you down on the doubles

Hope this helps!

thats some good advice, will try that myself, found my darts always land in the corners and somtime just click into the above/below double:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

If you are scoring well and not hitting your doubles, then I Would recomned this game. It helps you continue to try and hit larger numbers, and at the same time set up your shots at outs.

1) You get six darts but try to finish with a s few as possible (obviously)

2) you start at 65 and start working your way up....66 -170

3) keep a pen and paper handy to help you know what number you are at

This way you are working the entire board while working your doubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

I often practice (when I get the time these days) doubles by throwing at the Bull with the first dart. If you hit it or 25 stay there with the other two darts.
    If you miss try and shang hi the number that the first dart went into. This way you get to practice random number and not just your favorites. You also get a work out on random triples which can also help when setting up check outs in games.

It is also a change from going aroung the board or throwin just at your favorite double.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I played about thirty games of 101 with a mate of mine last night, great game for practicing doubles

Advertisement