Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Masters?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys,

I'm a 4th year commercial computing student in Dkit, I hope to finish up this semester and get my honours degree.

So I've been looking into my prospects for after this and what I can expect to do with myself.

So to start with I've looked up graduate opportunities that are available and have got in contact with 2 companies that will be recruiting graduates in the summer and will be applying for an interview.

However I have also been asked by one of my lecturers to do a research masters in the field of mobile application development,

I didn't really consider doing a masters before as I just dont have the money but my lecturer said I will get paid for it and i will get a grant as well so it is something I'm seriously considering now.

I was just wondering which do you guys reckon would be best to do? get out in the real world and get some experience or do my masters?

What sort of potential extra gain would my masters give me in the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

This year I have returned to do a masters after eight years in the working world. I have found my work experience to be of some help and perhaps the greatest benefit I have derived from my time out of education is that I am a lot more mature now than I was back then.

Given that you have been offered the chance to do a masters, you must have some maturity and self-discipline. If the masters is funded and in an area which really interests you then this is an amazing opportunity. It is extremely difficult to get funding for a masters and you will be long enough working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I'd go for it if I were you, there are 3 benefits already, 1. you do a masters, which is a higher qualification, gives you an edge, 2. its a research masters, excellent for further academic study if you decide to go further along in that route which is another string to your bow 3. you are getting paid to research, this is cool in itself, research imo is the best kind of work as its actually meaningful and contributes to the human progress and knowledge, this is really cool

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Warmaster

Definitely go for it mate, you're getting paid to do research most people have to pay for it themselves and THEN might realise it's not for them you're getting paid to find out if you'll like it or not.

Paid MPhils are hard enough to come by but then if it turns out you like it you can turn it into a phd if you're lucky.

The working climate is extremely difficult for graduates right now it might actually be a case of doing this masters or face unemployment....

good luck what ever you decide to do

Advertisement