Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineering MSc courses/schools in the UK?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm currently in 4th year of Mech Eng, and with the times as they are thinking of trying to do a masters next year. I'm expecting a good 2.1 with an outside chance of a 1st in my degree. I really only got this into my head from going to the PostGrad fair but I think it would be a really good option. Cranfield in particular seemed pretty good, does anyone know anything about them? Is it a good college? Is it hard to get into? Also looked at Brunel and Imperial, but I don't really know if I'm setting my sights way too high here. My interests would be to do with thermal power or renewable energy, and some places seem to offer an MSc. in advanced Mech. Eng which is definitely something I'd go for too. Basically any good colleges that I could apply to (that I'd have a realistic chance of being accepted into) or any general advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

barnesd wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm currently in 4th year of Mech Eng, and with the times as they are thinking of trying to do a masters next year. I'm expecting a good 2.1 with an outside chance of a 1st in my degree. I really only got this into my head from going to the PostGrad fair but I think it would be a really good option. Cranfield in particular seemed pretty good, does anyone know anything about them? Is it a good college? Is it hard to get into? Also looked at Brunel and Imperial, but I don't really know if I'm setting my sights way too high here. My interests would be to do with thermal power or renewable energy, and some places seem to offer an MSc. in advanced Mech. Eng which is definitely something I'd go for too. Basically any good colleges that I could apply to (that I'd have a realistic chance of being accepted into) or any general advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Cranfield has a great rep in industry. Bear in mind though it is quite isolated and is in the middle of nowhere. I believe with a 2.1 you should be good to get accepted. I have a friend on the motorsport engineering who got accepted. Would you think of doing a more focused Masters in thermo or sustainable energy, Loughborough has a good program for sustainable. I look at Swansea for computational mechanics for thermo based stuff. It seemed interesting to me. Imperial has excellent and does focus in turbo machinery. I would apply and see what they say. Normally most places in England will give you a "conditional" offer, say if you get a 2.1 you are accepted. Another tip would be to email the course heads. Would you consider a research program?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭barnesd

To be honest I'm not sure a research program would be the right option for myself, and they often last several years and I just don't know if I'd want to commit to that. I'm going to talk to my own department about it anyway and see what they have. I'll have a look at all those places you mentioned anyway, I think I'll just send in a good few applications and see what happens. When looking at Cranfield I did notice it was way away from everything really, but if the course is good I can live with that. Have to say, I'd love to get into Imperial. Really good college + centre of London is a good combo! It's not totally out of the question that I'd get a 1st, maybe just need to really push myself for these last few months.

Advertisement