Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking???

Options
  • 20-02-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Do you need a licence to do this in Dublin???

If so, how much does it cost and how do you get it???

Used to busk alot in Sydney and you needed a license to do it so just curious

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

i seriously doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

population wrote: »
    Do you need a licence to do this in Dublin???

If so, how much does it cost and how do you get it???

Used to busk alot in Sydney and you needed a license to do it so just curious

Cheers

You need one in Galway but its not strictly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Alan Noir

The Gards might say you need a casual trading licence, the way around that is to say you're not selling, only taking donations. I've heard of them telling people they need a busking licence from the council, but when you go to the council they tell you no such thing exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    You need one in Galway but its not strictly enforced.

Nah, ya don't...

Agree with what Alan said. The Gardaí were just trying their arm thinking you may not know the ropes. Talked with folks at City Council. I rang them in connection to this last year (for a fundraiser thingy), and asked about a busking license. The answer I got is that they 'tried' to bring it in a number of years ago but didn't.
    Casual trading license needed only if you are selling merch. Those 'City Wardens' (particularly the Glenn Close lookalike woman) are ass-kickers. If they see you selling anything, they'll whip out their pencils (and notebooks!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sinbadthesailor

fu da shi

seeing as it's so easy to sell drugs openly on the street it shouldn't be a problem, besides grafton street is set aside for buskers- that haughey lad brought some reg in to that effect in eighties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Used to work around Tara Street train Station. One day I was walking over to get some lunch in Grafton st. Passed by tara street train station where I seen a group of about 10 junkies openly dealing drugs, had all the heroin parafanalia too, spoon, syringe etc. I thought, 'Why the hell do the garda not sort this scum out FFS. They were always on the boardwalk too. I got to Grafton St, where there was 2 Garda giving a busker a hard time. I thought, 'what the f**k is wrong with this country?!?!' I used to busk as a kid with a mate in Grafton St, and some of the Garda were nasty coward b*stards to us. I was 16, my mate was 13, and they were so nasty to us. I hope its better now, as I love seeing buskers about the place. Lends to a great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

was told by a garda in temple bar on a saturday night to stop busking as it was too noisy for residents. My acoustic guitar was too loud....In TEMBLE BAR....on a saturday night....?????????

havent busked in ages. never had a license. although by the looks of things on grafton st you need a loud amplifer nowadays.

Yeah, it's gas (and sad) the way junkies are openly using drugs/buying drugs on boardwalk, and then the Gardai hassle buskers and beggars...peaceful protesters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

whodoo wrote: »
    was told by a garda in temple bar on a saturday night to stop busking as it was too noisy for residents. My acoustic guitar was too loud....In TEMBLE BAR....on a saturday night....?????????

Yeah, it's pretty unfair.
    Having said that, I lived in the maddest flat years ago, right in the middle of 'prime' busker territory in Galway. Lovely in the daytime (depending who was busking ;))Nights, I was pretty much grand with people busking up to midnight or so at weekends and 10 or 11 weekdays, even if I was up early (I often worked the markets and had to be up at 6).

But past that, and it just made the drunk a**holes seem to get louder. One thing hearing a busker sing at 2am - another thing hearing a stag party with 20 off key lads singing Hotel California :rolleyes:
    Instead of fecking off after the pubs, they would gather for their 'party' under my window.
    I had a word with a few of the buskers, and most of them were grand with calling it quits at 12.

Temple bar is another story, people are street partying anyway. I suppose busking could be encouraging them past their bedtimes, but I'd say they'd do it anyway!

inisboffin wrote: »

But past that, and it just made the drunk a**holes seem to get louder. One thing hearing a busker sing at 2am - another thing hearing a stag party with 20 off key lads singing Hotel California :rolleyes:

Temple bar is another story, people are street partying anyway. I suppose busking could be encouraging them past their bedtimes, but I'd say they'd do it anyway!

True true. Think the cop was just bein a bltch though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kingcalumn

Its a pity we dont have a similar system to london where its monitored - the buskers there had a pitch on the underground, and were made audition. The standard was good, and they made a good few bob. Here, anybody can do it, and buskers are struggling - a friend of mine is down to around €8-10 euro per hour in town, and is a talented musician. Damn Recession!!

only 2 hour time slots on the Tube. I love the busking there. Sounds really cool

Although the standard of busking in London Underground is good in my opinion, it just that- my opinion. I don't think anyone should have to audition to busk in Dublin- who decides who gets to play and who doesn't?- some fat tub of shi who doesn't know jack about music. Free for all is best- if yer good enough you'll get money- if not ye won't. Dang, while we're at it why don't we have a TV show to decide Graftons next buskers- now that would be truly awful. Do you really think Bob Dylan would pass an audition to busk?

"I'm sorry Bob, you can't sing, your hairs a mess and you smell."

"Ah James Blunt, you're just what we're looking for, bland and inoffensive- you're hired"

LOL...you should have saved that idea and sold it to rte. they'd love it. i wonder what t0ssers they'd have on the panel.....

(mental note: steal his idea)

Knowing RTE, they'd be so very eager for it to be urbane and edgy and appeal to the all important 20-35 demographic.
    But then they'd end up getting Mickey "i've had over 15 years experience in the biz" Graham, Lucy Kennedy, Jason McAteer and for no apparent reason Tracy Piggott

Yes, exactly- who, who and who?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I was speaking to a Brazilian friend last night who was wondering if she would have to get a license to busk in Dublin.

Anyone know if she would have need this now?

She is here on a student visa also if this makes any difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

YEARS ago I was on Grafton st and there was a south American band who were basically drumming up interest in the gig that they were playing that night.

they played a 20 minute long version of jingo with just percussion instruments.

there must have been 300 people, including a couple of Guards enjoying the buzz.

absolutely superb

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

So generally, you need no license do you?

I was wondering how can I support my home budget with having a part time job only and being a singer..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

evilberry wrote: »
    So generally, you need no license do you?

I was wondering how can I support my home budget with having a part time job only and being a singer..

You'll need a gimmick, or you'll need to be a hot female, or a small child.
    That's if you want to make money anway..

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

No license needed for busking, as long as you observe residents/business/gardai and aren't just making noise you should be left alone to get on with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement