Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsor a Professional Darts Player!

Options
  • 20-02-2009 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Much like the little ditties I’ve popped out for the past fifteen years, there are certain darts website forums that are just not relevant. But I won’t mention SEWA.

There is however, one forum, now five-years-old, that has been on the cutting-edge since its founding and which continues to set the standard. That forum, of course, is Andy Fairclough’s Superstars of Darts.

In recent days, creative forum participants have offered up a concept worthy of note and as certain to succeed as it is to make a major mark on the professional darts scene.

CONTINUED at: www.dartoidsworld.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Not a fan. What's the point? What do the fans get in return? If the guy's good enough, he'll get ample sponsorship opportunities. If he's not, then he's going to feel a world of responsibility on his shoulders playing off the back of people's money and that can hold him back in the long run.

If there was a specific case...like some guy who was throwing regular 110 averages in small-time tournaments...but couldn't afford to enter the big tournaments because he had a family to clothe and feed, then I'd consider it. But this just looks like a carbon copy of ideas like "Have fans become the board of a football club" and there's no real need for it. It's a pointless gimmick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree, doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me. I would rather spend my money on going to tournaments to watch the pro's or going to tournaments myself and playing. There is never a shortage of sponsors if you are good enough and the only way that a group of fans would sponsor a player is if he had the ability to challenge for major honours. Otherwise your just throwing your money away.

Seems a strange idea to me and something I wouldn't be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Hmmm...€25!! Let me see, sticking €8 each on Barney, Wade and Jenkins to make a final in each of the remaining majors, think everyone would get a far better return

Sorry lads, I hate to say this about an idea, but for anyone with value on money this is dumb

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭paulcorr

leggo wrote: »
    Not a fan. What's the point? What do the fans get in return? If the guy's good enough, he'll get ample sponsorship opportunities. If he's not, then he's going to feel a world of responsibility on his shoulders playing off the back of people's money and that can hold him back in the long run.

If there was a specific case...like some guy who was throwing regular 110 averages in small-time tournaments...but couldn't afford to enter the big tournaments because he had a family to clothe and feed, then I'd consider it. But this just looks like a carbon copy of ideas like "Have fans become the board of a football club" and there's no real need for it. It's a pointless gimmick.[/quote

(Shamrock rovers). And agree a total waste of time why would i sponsor someone to play in darts comp when i could just easily play myself.

Advertisement