Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension of funding for 4th year PhD

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Im in my 3rd year of my phd and come october my funding runs out. My funding body doesnt give extensions, and its unlikely ill be finished in october! does anyone know of any grants that i can apply for to try and get my fees paid for, even just 6 months of my 4th year. I can't apply for an extension with IRCSET, as I never got funding from them and I started my postgrad when i was 22, so am not eligible to apply as a mature student with the county council. Id really appreciate any advice on this :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

I feel for you about the mature student situation. I was 23 starting my PhD, but the regulations stated that a mature student must be 23 before 1st January of the year of starting the PhD. I'll be 26 going into my next year of the PhD but the county council will not reevaluate my status.
    If you can't get an extension maybe you could pay half fees and try to finish in one semester? That is the only thing I can think of. Might be my only option next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shinshin10

Hi Maggie, thanks for the reply. I have thought about paying fees for 6 months and only writing my thesis (not working) to get finished within that time frame, but as well as the money for fees i have living expenses also. I have a bit of cash saved but not enough and id prefer not to have to take out a loan given that i may not get a job when i finish :confused:

Advertisement