Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into a Masters programme with a 2.2

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Has anyone gotten a 2.2 and gone on to do a Masters? I'm doing Arts in UCD, and a 2.1 is pretty much out of the question.

Due to various things I wasn't able to apply myself properly during my course. I'm well able to get top grades, I've had a lot of firsts in assignments etc. but ultimately I'm going to end up with a degree that limits my postgrad options.

I'm just wondering if I do still have the option of a Masters available to me with a 2.2 as I'd like to have the option to do one in the future!

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

I think the best thing would be to enquire with the course directors of any courses you're intersted in and see. If that didn't work out you could do a Masters with the Open University. All of their degrees are now recognised in Ireland and I don't think they require any specific marks on your undergraduate degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

If you can prove a genuine interest in the course subject - perhaps through extra curricular activities - it can help.

Another suggestion is to do a HDip in something that interests you and make sure your mark for that is high and then apply for the Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Maggie.23

Maybe apply for the courses you're interested in even if they specify 2.1? If you show that you have achieved high grades in relevant assignments and write a good application you might be in with a chance. Also, there are some MA courses out there that accept a 2.2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Breaktown

I got accepted into a masters with a 2.2, although I turned it down for various reasons. It is harder to get a masters, but it is still possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ceisteanna

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies! Good to know it's not totally impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Frank007

loads of people end up getting a 2-2 and get into a masters programme, ucd will except some but only if the numbers allow (which is not all that common but still happens), DIT offers many programmes for a 2-2, ucc also offer many opportunities, both in business areas mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Hi, I'm in the second year of a part time masters program in DIT. I didn't even have my level seven primary degree finished when I began.

My primary degree is a level 7 which had morphed from a diploma to a pass degree. As a result I only had to complete a synoptic study and a single assignment to complete the degree. i was able to demonstrate that very good grades up to this point 80% +. Finished the degree while doing the first year of the masters.

However, I was refused entry to the Msc program initially. I thought that this was down to the DIT admissions office, so I got in touch with the course co-ordinator directly. She was reluctant to grant me an interview but refusal to take no is a great asset in life.

Long story short, got interview, got course, doing well...hoping for a first.

Sometimes it's the calibre of the person and how they project that that can make the difference between being accepted and not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Agreed. Plenty of Masters only specify 'second class honours' as a requirement rather than upper or lower division. Even if they specify a 2:1, your transcript when you graduate will presumably demonstrate what you've said about doing very well in some areas and not so well in others.

You're by no means out of the running with a 2:2 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

As long as you can show a genuine interest in doing the masters, I don't think having a 2.2 will be an issue at all.

Advertisement