Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solidworks Training

• 19-02-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been out of work for the last few weeks, so I reckon its best to use this time effectively, so I think some Solidworks training is a good idea as I see that advertised in alot of positions in the UK.

I'm in Dublin, can anyone point me to some reasonably priced training ... €950 is all I can find, a tad out of my price range.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

you can ask the guys at solid solutions

http://www.solidsolutions.ie/index.htm
    they have a training page on their site
    http://www.solidsolutions.ie/services_training.htm

no prices given though.

Ive dealt with them before (in a non training application) and they are very friendly and helpful, plus they know their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Pentagon Solutions in Belfast (http://www.pentagonsolutions.com/) also do SolidWorks training, might be worth checking out as Sterling is still fairly weak. Did some training there, found them to be professional and helpful.

Have you used SolidWorks before? If you haven't (and have some experience of CAD) then it's easy enough to pick up. I'd recommend playing around with a copy, doing the tutorials etc. first before signing up for training.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrPreachan

Have a look at Amazon, there is a multitude of books there, from basic to more advanced. It's how i learned the basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

Have you used SolidWorks before? If you haven't (and have some experience of CAD) then it's easy enough to pick up. I'd recommend playing around with a copy, doing the tutorials etc. first before signing up for training.

I'm experienced at AutoCAD alright ... Just looking to add a notch to the belt.

Cheers for the advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

Pm sell Mully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Check out night courses in secondary schools. All Leaving Cert students use it for Tech Drawing as it was in the day, now its Design and Communication Graphics.

Solidworks in everyschool in the country - not sure about certification but if you can use it you can use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/esp/engineering_stimulus_package.html

Not sure if it has been mentioned around here, but Solidworks are giving out 90 day licences for their Student package, tutorials included. Certification at the end of the 90 days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

bdoo wrote: »
    Check out night courses in secondary schools. All Leaving Cert students use it for Tech Drawing as it was in the day, now its Design and Communication Graphics.

Solidworks in everyschool in the country - not sure about certification but if you can use it you can use it.

yep i use it in dcg and i find it very useful, especially for subjects like construction studies where i will have to design my project next year. it isnt really hard to learn and i would say i'm at an intermediate now after 8 weeks of practice in class 4 hours every week

I'm using http://www.myigetit.com/ at the moment for certification. Seems decent enough. Access for a year for around $400 and you get certified once you complete the course, which is in your own time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hi MrPreachan

Do you have to have the Solidworks software already or was that supplied.

The reason i ask is that I was looking at the Catia bundle on that website which interested me. Ive heard its used in the aero industry which is where i'd like to end up. I dont have the Catia software though.

Good link though, thanks.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Hi MrPreachan

Do you have to have the Solidworks software already or was that supplied.

The reason i ask is that I was looking at the Catia bundle on that website which interested me. Ive heard its used in the aero industry which is where i'd like to end up. I dont have the Catia software though.

Good link though, thanks.

I use it through the company I'm working for so in my case its supplied, there are options of obtaining student licences from Solidworks, I recently bought a book which gave a link to download a student copy, limited to 150 days I think, but enough time to get certified. You might want to check Amazon for similar offers relating to Catia. Or maybe somebody you know might have a licenced copy they are willing to let you use..

Edit...If anyone wants the url and access code for the 150 day trial PM me because I'm not going to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If you qualify for the student SolidWorks licence you could probably get that, teach yourself the basics (maybe with a book to guide you) and then go for a SolidWorks certification - the online exams are about €75 each. You need 75% to pass so they're quite strict, but with a bit of practice it should be achievable.

I found the SolidWorks Essentials professional training course to be very useful for beginners, but it's pricey (€1200+) if you're paying for it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Hi Mully,
    I know a guy that used to work as a Solidworks trainer up until about a year ago.

He's in the Dublin area, I would expect him to fairly reasonable, but I'd leave the two of you to sort out the money side of the whole thing.

PM me if you want me to put you in contact with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hido

Hello Guys I am new to the site and wish to find out where I can study Solidwork courses, please link me up if you know. Thanks Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Check here for any type of course.

www.qualifax.ie

Advertisement