Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ber as a part time business

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

The dreaded exam is coming soon.

That should clear out some of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

d'Oracle wrote: »
    The dreaded exam is coming soon.

That should clear out some of the competition.

I doubt it if you can write your name you'll probably get 100%, I wonder will they accecpt paw prints from my dog, I've got him booked for a training course!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

kick-on wrote: »
    Hey guys

i am strongly thinking of doing the ber training and operating a small business part time doing this. where can i find decent info on this??
    and do i need the door blower etc to complete certs or is it possible to rent these????

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Hello,

Here is a breakdown of my actual set-up costs:

1. Training Course: €2000
    2. SEI Registration: €1215
    3. Prof. Indemnity Ins.: €387
    4. Website (setup myself): €40
    5. Tools, camera, etc: €300
    6. Company Setup: €350
    7. Signage, bus. cards etc €150.

So, the total setup for me was about €4400.

Remember that you need to maintain any and all records for 10 years! (Can you produce a document you typed up 10 years ago - I know I can't). If you decide in 4 years to jack it in, you still have to keep your records.

There is a €121.50 registration fee every year.

Each cert you issue costs you €31.

You would be strongly advised to maintain Professional Indemnity Insurance at the very least for as long as you are working.

Potential liability is HUGE if you make a mistake. Although a case has yet to reach the Courts, the following is possible:

A. An assessor mistakenly grades a house as a B3 rating.
    B. Purchaser buys house.
    C. Purchaser gets another BER (possibly years later).
    D. New assessor grades the house as a C1 or C2 (a worse rating).
    E. Purchaser can then sue original assessor, claiming he would not have bought the house had he known the house was only a C1, he was expecting a B3. Assessor can be liable for house sale transaction costs, and any difference in value of houses.

This is one reason why I take my time when assessing, takes LOADS of photos, and have customer pre-sign the SEI Letter of Engagement, and keep my Indemnity Insurance valid.

An assessor is PROHIBITED from assessing a family members house, or any house that he/she or his/her family members have a financial interest in.
    This came as a shock to many in my training course, myself included, as I had originally planned to do the course to save the money in assessing family prperties.

My Pricing Structure is as follows:

1 bed apt.: €100
    2 bed apt.: €125
    3 bed apt.: €150
    House: €200.

These prices are the total prices the customers pay, The Cert Fee and VAT are included in the prices I charge.

For an existing dwelling, I spend approx 90 minutes on site, an average of 45 mins each way in the car, and depending on the type of dwelling, up to 3 hours on total calcs. I double check all of my calculations.

I then post the Cert, Report and Advisory report to the customer, along with my own seperate report to help explain the SEI generated Advisory Report. Total of this can be up to 20 pages.

In summary, it is not a high profit business to be in. I would compare it to the situation with taxi drivers at the moment. Too many assessors, not enough houses to assess.

I enjoy the work so far, but it is purely part time, and I do not expect to make any real money from it.

If you have any other questions, I would be happy to try to answer them for you.

All the best,
    Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

This sums it up for me.

BER assessors bidding for work
    In this section »
    Talking Property
    IN BRIEF
    EMMA CULLINAN

THE EBAY auctioning mentality has come to the jobs market, with Building Energy Rating assessors – on a new website – competing for work by bidding the price down.

The website, called www.BerCert.com, has signed up around 400 SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) registered BER assessors who are invited to bid on jobs put up on the site by homeowners and estate agents.

BerCert says that 183 jobs have been posted on the site in the past week and 1,792 bids were received. The highest bid was €750 for a four-bed house in Dublin and the lowest was €80 for a one-bed apartment. The average bid is €236 and the average winning bid is €153.

The SEI says that there is no set price for assessments and that homeowners can negotiate with any of the assessors listed on its own site. Many who lost jobs in the building sector had hoped that becoming a BER assessor would give them a new career but it does seem that competition for work is high. The SEI says there is no cap on the number of BER assessors and that it is up to people to check how many assessors are working in their area before they train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Was this site not closed down or at leat under investigation when it was revealed the the person behind it is also a ber assessor and can use the site to under cut the loowest bidder, dodgey in the extreme and they take a referal fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

The site is still running and they are quoting prices as low as €80, I believe. They take a commission of €20 and the SEI fee is €30.38 so do the math yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its better that people dont speculate.

OK

• Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SilverBER wrote: »
    Its not speculation, Muffler, I am a member of that site and I see it myself.

have you seen an assessor charge €50 to 'get' a better rating???

if not then please do not speculate.....

this is aimed at No 6 as well....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

SilverBER wrote: »
    Its not speculation, Muffler, I am a member of that site and I see it myself.
    You stated this
    I have heard stories

You either state facts, and I warn you now that by stating facts regarding the allegations you have made here then there will be problems for both you, this site and the site you refer to or you can simply stick to your original assertion of only having heard about these things which brings us full circle again.

Its all black and white really.

• Advertisement

Point taken. Apologies for that but the site is still operating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No6 wrote: »
    I doubt it if you can write your name you'll probably get 100%, I wonder will they accecpt paw prints from my dog, I've got him booked for a training course!!!:D

No.

Its been set by somebody who knows the methodology very well.
    Not by a trainers.
    It shouldnt suffer the same shoddy quality problems that some of the trainers do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

d'Oracle wrote: »
    No.

Its been set by somebody who knows the methodology very well.
    Not by a trainers.
    It shouldnt suffer the same shoddy quality problems that some of the trainers do.

stable door closed after horse has bolted

I dont know if the exam will clear anything out, really. The SEI have already taken their €1215 registration fee from everyone so how can they take that back without a legal fight? Am I also wrong to assume that there will be a fee to take the exam?

Advertisement