Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your practice and thoughts on improving averages.

Options
  • 10-02-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

How do you guys practice. Personally I'm on a strict regime atm trying to hit a 70+ average (my bro averages about 75 on an average night, sometimes much higher sometimes less.)

My routine:

Big Numbers - 1-20 putting all 3 darts in each before moving on.

Little Big Numbers (the part between the treble ring and bull) - 2/3 Darts in each.

Doubles - Round the board twice including Bull.

Trebles - As above but only practice from 7-20.

Then I use Dart Pro.
    301 for 3 legs double in.
    501 for 3 legs straight in.
    Game of 27
    Average Shootout
    Than I try every two dart plus finish on the Unicorn outshots poster.
    3-60 one day
    60 - 100 the next
    120-140 the next
    140+ the next
    I'll have 3 attempts at each outshot and 5 at the common ones 120, 121 etc... Move on regardless of whether I hit them. It amazing how many times you'll nail them though, you'll suprise yourself.

Every third day, I'll play No1, my average has risen by about 6 points a month over the last 3 months, from just under 50 to 67 or so.

I find the biggest difference is the outshots. More often than not if I hit the right treble with the first dart I'll kill any shot under 100 with the next two. Really bumps up the average when you know your outshots. Learning to hit things like T14 D20 for 82, instead of Bull D16 really increases your average cause you don't ruin the shot if you miss you simply go T18 D7 or 18 Bull.

Getting round the board really boosts your average. Justs playing games means you don't get alot of practice on anything bar the T20.

As I said I've gone from 50 to 67ish with this routine. My first 9 is only up from 80 to bout 84.

That said I just got murdered down the pub before I typed this up. Thats my rambling for the night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

padr81 wrote: »
    How do you guys practice. Personally I'm on a strict regime atm trying to hit a 70+ average (my bro averages about 75 on an average night, sometimes much higher sometimes less.)

My routine:

Big Numbers - 1-20 putting all 3 darts in each before moving on.

Little Big Numbers (the part between the treble ring and bull) - 2/3 Darts in each.

Doubles - Round the board twice including Bull.

Trebles - As above but only practice from 7-20.

Then I use Dart Pro.
    301 for 3 legs double in.
    501 for 3 legs straight in.
    Game of 27
    Average Shootout
    Than I try every two dart plus finish on the Unicorn outshots poster.
    3-60 one day
    60 - 100 the next
    120-140 the next
    140+ the next
    I'll have 3 attempts at each outshot and 5 at the common ones 120, 121 etc... Move on regardless of whether I hit them. It amazing how many times you'll nail them though, you'll suprise yourself.

Every third day, I'll play No1, my average has risen by about 6 points a month over the last 3 months, from just under 50 to 67 or so.

I find the biggest difference is the outshots. More often than not if I hit the right treble with the first dart I'll kill any shot under 100 with the next two. Really bumps up the average when you know your outshots. Learning to hit things like T14 D20 for 82, instead of Bull D16 really increases your average cause you don't ruin the shot if you miss you simply go T18 D7 or 18 Bull.

Getting round the board really boosts your average. Justs playing games means you don't get alot of practice on anything bar the T20.

As I said I've gone from 50 to 67ish with this routine. My first 9 is only up from 80 to bout 84.

That said I just got murdered down the pub before I typed this up. Thats my rambling for the night.

Thats a good regime padr will give that a go myself, where i struggle is the outshots its not the counting where i struggle but im just not taking out any outshots from 60-100 which i no i should be..as you said yourself just playing 01 games you are only shooting at the treble20 thats what im doing wrong i think ive no regime like yourself but i find it hard to stay focussed and motivated when i practice alone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I throw three darts at every number and then three at green and three at red of bull, then add up my score.

Then round the world on doubles, then I practice two/three dart finishes from 41 to 100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

my routine is only a small one but works great for me, 3 games of 501 in keeping it in my head, round the board doubles fininshing on the bull, one game of 100, big out shots picked at random then a best of 21 against the no1 software (level 4-5), small but covers all the bases

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abbococo

Guys, nice idea for a thread. I've been getting back into darts lately after playing years ago and have been doing a lot of messing with stance and grip. I think I'm settling on a throw I like but consistency is a problem and go through spells of really good darts and some where no two throws are the same. Any recommendations for practice games to develop and consolidate my throwing action? Obviously with the net objective of improving my average which is about the 50 mark according to n01.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

i dont really have a regime as such for practice, i often mix it up, i use both dartpro and N01 but to warm up ill always go round the board doubles then trebles, thats the only thing i always do but thats about it as regards a practice regime...

i play N01 nearly every day, 9 times out of 10 on level 6, but no matter how well i'm hittin the big numbers i always struggle on doubles, always. I played today best of 9 sets, averaged 68.77, had a first9 average of 77.29 but barely won 5-4 on the last leg, i hit 51 100+ but couldnt hit the doubles to save my life, id love to be able to hit 1 in 3 like, and i reckon thats what'll hold me back...

i do love bob's 27 on dart pro, thats a very addictive game that will hopefully help my doubles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

whats this no1 software you guys are talkin about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

docmartin wrote: »
    whats this no1 software you guys are talkin about

It's a scoring system that allows you to play against a friend or the computer. It has different levels so is suitable for all dart players. It's a good practice tool and free to download. Just google no1.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Niall_76

padr81 wrote: »

Fair play to you. This is the kind of improvement i would love to make so i think i will be trying this out. I've just been practising a bit aimlessly pardon the pun.

Padr, How long did it take you to complete this when you first started doing it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

basically my pracitce session is this

an hour of 501 (24 darts max)
    an hour of checkouts: 61-101 in 3 darts, 102-170 in 6 darts
    an hour on the three main doubles: D20x20,D16x20,Bullx20 then repeat

now and again i'll play first to 10 on NO1 level 6-7 just to see what my average is but it's not part of my normal practice.

might be a really simple practice regime but it's the one that work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The three main practise regimes I do are:

- Bob's 27 (For double practise)
    - Working on the trebles (Usually T20 - T15 as they're the main ones)
    - Around the board getting three darts into each number before I move on.

I don't always play them in that order. Just whatever I feel like doing first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Im lucky if I get this in once a week at the mo :mad: got to do this everyday for two weeks last month and found my game improved a lot, but has gone to mush again as I havent been able to put more of an effort in lately.

1. 170 Finish x first to 5 (must finish in less than 12 darts, if you do then you go 1up, if you dont you go 1-1 and so on till the score gets to 5).

2. 170 Finish x first to 5 (must finish in less than 9 darts)

3. Bobs 27 x 3 times

4. 100 darts at twenties x 3 times.

5. Best of 13 games of 501 against N01 level 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Niall_76 wrote: »
    Fair play to you. This is the kind of improvement i would love to make so i think i will be trying this out. I've just been practising a bit aimlessly pardon the pun.

Padr, How long did it take you to complete this when you first started doing it?

Cheers

anywhere from 3-5 hours is what I used to practice. I wouldn't do the entire thing everyday only when I was in the mood and had the motivation. It used to take around 2.5 hours to get through that I think, with little breaks here and there.

Advertisement