Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strangest thing happened me today..

Options
  • 09-02-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭

(posted this in the parenting forum but wanted to post it here too..)

Well I was walking up to the bus stop at the top of my road, pushing my son in his buggy, when a romanian woman arrived at the bus stop with a child in a buggy and two other little ones. Next of all I look down at the child in the buggy, and on her lap was a blanket that i had hand made for my son, only to lose it the first day i put it on him in the buggy! I had lost it about 3 months ago if not longer!! Obviously since i made it there was no mistaking it was mine!

So totally in shock I asked her where she got her blanket, and explained that it was mine and i had lost it. She was quite cross (prob thought i was mental) and asked when, so i told her. She asked me did i want it back, i said yes i really do, as i had made it myself and i was so sorry to do this!! I really must have appeared crazy because i was now making stitching signs with my hands to make sure she understood me! I explained that had i just bought it i wouldn't care, but i had worked really hard on it and it meant so much to me because i made it for my son, and i was so upset when i lost it.

So she took it off her child and gave it to me, apologising for a dirty mark on it! So i didnt know what to do so i gave her one of my son's shop bought blankets so her child wouldnt go cold! Meanwhile her two other children were furiously asking her why i was taking their sister's blanket from her!

I'm still a bit shocked about the fact that i found it, i'd rather it was stuffed in a bush or something! I kind of acted without thinking but i'm delighted to have it back! What would you guys have done? Please say the same as me so i dont feel as bad!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

I think it's great you got your blanket back and you were absolutely in the right to ask for it. That is a mad story!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yep you did the right thing fair play and it was right to give her a blanket in return. Fair play to her for giving it back too, she didnt have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Sabotage wrote: »
    Yep you did the right thing fair play and it was right to give her a blanket in return. Fair play to her for giving it back too, she didnt have to.

Haha she was probably afraid not too! She probably thought i was some mad crazy woman...wouldn't be far wrong!

Thanks guys i feel better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If I had been behind you in the bus stop with my earphones on I would have thought you had lost your marbles. Did she say how she came to using it, did she find it somewhere or buy it in a 2nd hand shop?

God hollywood would get a film out of that these days!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If I had been behind you in the bus stop with my earphones on I would have thought you had lost your marbles. Did she say how she came to using it, did she find it somewhere or buy it in a 2nd hand shop?

God hollywood would get a film out of that these days!

:) She said her friend gave it to her, one day the child was cold and her friend gave her the blanket! Talk about making me feel worse!! I know i had lost it close to my house so it makes sense that either she or her friend picked it up off the ground! To be honest she offered it back very quick so i reckon either she was afraid of me (i wouldnt blame her!) or she knew it had been picked up so she knew i was telling the truth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

years ago my friend who was studying fashion design at the time lost a jacket that she had made in a pub - well i say lost but she had left it into the cloakroom and when she went to collect it yer wan couldn't find it.... :confused:

about 3 weeks later we were on the bus home and i saw the wan from the cloakroom walking down the street WEARING MY MATE'S JACKET!!!! :eek:

we hopped off the bus - ran after yer wan and my mate - well - there may have been some bad language involved - eventually got her jacket back!!! :D

artyeva wrote: »
    years ago my friend who was studying fashion design at the time lost a jacket that she had made in a pub - well i say lost but she had left it into the cloakroom and when she went to collect it yer wan couldn't find it.... :confused:

about 3 weeks later we were on the bus home and i saw the wan from the cloakroom walking down the street WEARING MY MATE'S JACKET!!!! :eek:

we hopped off the bus - ran after yer wan and my mate - well - there may have been some bad language involved - eventually got her jacket back!!! :D

What are the chances of finding it again! Its heartbreaking when you think they're gone as so much work goes into making them. My blanket was all detailed stitching and appliqued so making the same one again for him was just out of the question!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

great story and at least everyone went home happy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

dead right....thats what i would have done....well in december i wouldnt have but then i made a new years resolution to speak up for myself more often....so hell yeah!!! i would have left blanket under armm

...but it was nice of you to give her another blanket..... : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

That's a great story. Can't believe you got it it back.

I worked for a fashion designer a few years back who had lent out sample garments for a photoshoot and typically didn't get them all back. A few weeks later she spotted a woman wearing her sample top (only one had been made at this stage) at a party and asked who it was by. The poor woman told themy boss it was a great top by this fantastic designer...... and she had been given it as a gift by her boyfriend who was a stylist.

Anyways, the designer I worked for was a quite scary, big by fashion standards, american lady (and pregnant at the time) and made the poor girl take it off then and there, leaving her in her bra at the party :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement