Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Masters

Options
  • 30-01-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Has anybody done a masters in economics/know anything about them. I'm thinking of doing one and am wondering where is best/has best professors etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

UCD is meant to have a good one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

EI111 wrote: »
    Has anybody done a masters in economics/know anything about them. I'm thinking of doing one and am wondering where is best/has best professors etc.

First question - are you intent on stayig in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

blucey wrote: »
    First question - are you intent on stayig in Ireland?
    No definitely not, i would love to go abroad but money is a pretty big issue so i would have to take that into account.

EI111 wrote: »
    No definitely not, i would love to go abroad but money is a pretty big issue so i would have to take that into account.

but you will have to pay fees for a masters here as well. So, it must be housing costs? In which case, it depends on where you are. NUIG, UCC and all four dublin unis have decent and above masters in economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

I did the MSc in Financial Economics at UCC in 2007/08. It was the first year of that masters. Its was an excellent masters. You can take a look at it here http://www.ucc.ie/en/CKL19/

• Advertisement

blucey wrote: »
    but you will have to pay fees for a masters here as well. So, it must be housing costs? In which case, it depends on where you are. NUIG, UCC and all four dublin unis have decent and above masters in economics.

i am aware of that but i would need to keep costs as low as possible, i think its around 6k in ireland?
    compared to america that is very cheap, but if any other countries had similar prices i would love to go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frank007

check out the msc/ma programmes in dutch uni's. Its about €1500-€1800 and most have excellent reps, such as maastricht and rotterdam. I'm probably going to do one myself in ucc in 2010 (after travelling) but would strongly consider going to holland if there is a significant increase on the fees here.

Does anybody know if the reintroduction of 3rd level fees have any impact on the fees charged for postgrads????????????

Frank007 wrote: »
    check out the msc/ma programmes in dutch uni's. Its about €1500-€1800 and most have excellent reps, such as maastricht and rotterdam. I'm probably going to do one myself in ucc in 2010 (after travelling) but would strongly consider going to holland if there is a significant increase on the fees here.

Does anybody know if the reintroduction of 3rd level fees have any impact on the fees charged for postgrads????????????

If fees are reintroduced it will have no impact I suspect.

Frank007 wrote: »

Thanks this is the kind of stuff i was hoping to hear. If anybody knows of any more alternatives I would appreciate the info.
    I had a look at Maastricht already, looks very very interesting and I can't believe how cheap it is.
    Thanks a million for the tip, think I'll start my applications tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Be prepared to put in the work, it's a big step up from degree level. Mathematics is important. If it was me it would be Nuim, UCD or Trinity in no particular order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement